Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 8:19pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will video tape you a version and post it tomorrow that I like. It should explain all.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 12:08am

Style: Getting mounted

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The short dudes in my club nail me with tai otoshi all the time. Having been on the receiving end of countless tai otoshis and attempts, I honestly haven't noticed foot positioning making a whole lot of difference. The key to a clean tai otoshi seems to be rotating your upper body and whipping the dude around with enough speed and explosion so that he doesn't have time to react and post out his outside foot before you plant him.

The thing my instructors always emphasized was actually protecting your knees and your opponent's knees by not extending out too far, because your outstretched leg could end up levering them across their own hyperextended knee.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 9:18am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tai-otoshi is not one of my favorite throws by any means but I'm shorter as well so I'll offer a bit of advice.

1) Moving your opponent (as others have said) is key. Make sure you are pulling them into place BEFORE you start turning into the throw. If you try to pull them across while your leg is extended it's not going to work very well.

2) Make sure you're in tight. One of the tendencies with tai-o-toshi is to leave that leg hanging way out and trying to pull the opponent over it. The throwing power of the throw is from your hips and upper body, the leg is just the fulcrum over which you throw your opponent. Your right shoulder should be hitting your opponent in the chest as you do the throw or else you're probably too far out.

3) After you drop down with the leg out, pop back up to finish the throw. This little extra motion will help rotate your opponent over and onto his back. It makes the throw more dynamic and gives it a snap rather than dragging the opponent over your leg.

Hope this is helpful.

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 10:32am

Style: Dragon Ball Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah i used to get nailed by tai otoshi by small guys as well. It's a really good throw, in fact isn't it perfect to do on taller people?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 10:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (Disclaimer: I fucking suck at Judo)

I have to ask, why are you trying to pull of Tai Otoshi on a taller person anyway? I always considered it to be a tall guy throw or a throw for people of about the same height? Sort of a compensation from god for not letting them get in for decent hip throws easily.

The only time I've had any real success with Tai otoshi on taller guys when I have the other guy stepping sideways, then I step ahead of his stepping leg and then step across and throw him to his side over my leg rather than straight forwards, otherwise I find they just step over the leg and laugh at me.

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 10:47am

Style: Dragon Ball Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy who used to destroy me with it wasn't big at all but he just managed to pull me really close to him and keep me there when he executing it. It felt like I had tripped over a hurdle when he did it, not like i'd been blasted into the ground but he got me down and he did it without exerting himself at all really. I'm convinced it's good for short vs tall.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 12:59am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry my battery died in class, I left the charger at a tornament last weekend. I will try and get it up for yall next week.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 6:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One other thing I would add is that in judo you should never force yourself to use throws that don't feel right or work for you just because you think you should. Some throws work really well for some people and some don't. Sometimes a throw works for you for awhile and then it doesn't. Go with that progression and focus on what feels right. Obviously you should learn everything you can but don't waste time on throws that feel awkward. Tai-o-toshi used to be a great throw for me but now I suck at it. Uchi-mata used to feel like the stupidest, most awkward throw in the world but now it's one of my favorites.

Don't keep banging your head against the wall if you can't get your tai-o to work for you. Shelve it and work on something else and come back to it later and see if it feels better.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 6:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this may sound weird, but at first I didn't get Tai Otoshi. I mean I couldn't get the footwork/switching feet. It was hard for me, but now I have it, the footwork at least. I've got it down on the crash mats, and now I'm trying to make it work in sparring. But from what I'm reading it's probably the upper body, that's keeping me from getting it right.
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 7/27/2007 6:40pm at .

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 8:53am

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that throws all about the setup. get the guy up and on one foot(the leg thats meets your on the threw)while your stepp across for the throw, all his wieghts on that leg and his balance will be off.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast