Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tai Otoshi for shoirter people?

I'm trying to work on Tai Otoshi the problem is I'm 5'6" with short legs. Ok, I was told 2 different things on how to make this work for me, by two also short black belts. The first was to just step across as deep as possible (I know awesome advice), the next was to shoot my leg not just across but back diagonally. So anybody have any other for those of us not blessed with dancers legs?

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 2:22pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess if your legs are hindering you then compensate by taking their balance. Drag the guy into the throw.

Step deep? Tai otoshi is done with your foot just outside theirs. I can't see that overextending would help. Maybe I misread that?
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
    Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 4:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I don't stick my leg out as far as possible what's stopping them from just stepping around my foot.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 5:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How are you grabbing them? Lapels or under hooking the arm like you would for a Seo Nage?

I am 6 2 and I always thought Tai Otoshi was a short guys throw.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 5:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I grabbing them, ideally with a same side lapel and sleeve grip

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 6:20pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abusivemelon
    I guess if your legs are hindering you then compensate by taking their balance. Drag the guy into the throw.

Step deep? Tai otoshi is done with your foot just outside theirs. I can't see that overextending would help. Maybe I misread that?
    Couldn't agree more. Assuming you are gripping one lapel and one elbow, make sure you pull in tight with the right hand (assuming that you are leading with your right foot forward - gripping the lapel from the same side), and twist your hand so that your palm is facing you, and the back of your forearm is tight against their body from wrist to elbow. Pull in tight. As you position yourself for the throw, make sure that your left arm (if that's the one gripping their elbow) drags their arm up high, and back towards the direction that you are intending to throw them.

Considering that in my old MMA gym, they used to call Tai-Otoshi the "leg throw", there is a surprising emphasis on your upper body when executing it. In relation to your legs, the important thing is to get your calf below their knee. The upper body pulling, combined with a pivoting your torso, and slightly thrusing with your extended leg creates a very strong throw.

and remember the phases of the throw:

1. Kazushi (Unbalancing)
    Tsukuri (Entry )
    Kake (Execution)

If you are finding it hard to set up the throw... uchimkomi

Quote Originally Posted by Soju - Joe
    I am 6 2 and I always thought Tai Otoshi was a short guys throw.
    Many throws seem better suited for the shorter guys, in their traditional execution. I've noticed that the taller guys seem to have to adjust throws to suit their physiques. Being tall, do you prefer to reach over the shoulder and grasp your opponenet's back rather than their lapel? There's a guy at my club whos is about 6'4", and he seems to prefer taking that grip against me (I'm 6' exactly)
    Last edited by Deadmeat; 7/25/2007 6:24pm at .

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 6:22pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Instead of grabbing the lapel try shooting your arm under thiers in pinch it up by their arm pit with the crook of your elbow, like you would in a seo nage throw.

not only will this help the Tai otoshi but if they step around your foot all you have to do now is keep rotating and drop to your knees for a drop seoi nage

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 6:27pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice one. I can see how that would help keep the throw tight. I might have to try that myself.

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 6:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat

Many throws seem better suited for the shorter guys, in their traditional execution. I've noticed that the taller guys seem to have to adjust throws to suit their physiques. Being tall, do you prefer to reach over the shoulder and grasp your opponenet's back rather than their lapel? There's a guy at my club whos is about 6'4", and he seems to prefer taking that grip against me (I'm 6' exactly)

yes around their back or under hook an arm

Going deep and low is a problem for me :(

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 6:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    Nice one. I can see how that would help keep the throw tight. I might have to try that myself.

It's also good in that you can do it with out a gi, in that all you have to do is change the grip from grabbing their gi around the wrist to grabbing the wrist itself.

I have seen Karo and Joe Stevenson hit drop seio nage in MMA using this.

Also when I do it, I do it as a counter to any double lapel grab with my arm coming across and then under theirs thus breaking the grip, pulling them down and off balance.

When my back heals I want to experiment with Thai fighters and see if it's a good counter to the Thai clinch.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast