Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 11:53pm

Style: Getting mounted

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most important thing is that you're committed to the program. The biggest reason people don't see results on programs like this is because they cheat, either in the gym or in the kitchen.

Your body can handle the stress and will adapt and grow stronger because of it. The question for almost everyone is whether or not your mind can do the same.

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 12:16am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr01
    i have access to all that stuff i have a great gym thats two floors lots of dumbells barbells all those press machines benches the bar with the pad in the middle for squates but i have no spotter so thats why i cant bench
    You can slide a bench under the Smith machine (it's ok, probably won't even get funny looks, go grab one of the dumbell incline benches if you can't find anything else) to do your bench press. Set the stops at or just below your chest and you can wriggle out if you can't push it back up.

Just be careful. If an adult rips a ligament or a tendon he's out of the gym for a long time and out maybe $5k-$10k (?) for surgical repair. If a kid tears a growth plate he's got a gimpy FUBAR stub for the rest of his childhood, and an $80k Ilizerov halo once he's grown to stretch it back out to normal size.

Your diet looks remarkably clean (BTW, awesome that your parents are willing to buy all those groceries, my step-mother got pissed if I drank too much milk :angry2: ) but at 5'10" you're Hella skinny. You mentioned that you've wrestled for 2 years. Did your coach want you to stay at that weight?

Are you going to continue wrestling? Since you mentioned that you'd like to get into MMA, your answer here should probably be yes. Have you discussed moving up a weight class (or three)? It might throw you off (or you might kick ass), but hopefully he's not a dick and he'll try to accomodate you rather than give you grief.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 12:33am

Style: Wrestling/BJJ/Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well next year im going to a high school and its a new coach so i hope hes good and i am wanting to go up weight classes i work at mc donalds (dont worry i dont eat there) so i help pay for some of my stuff ill defenatly be using the smith machine thank for the advice

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 1:09am

Style: Getting mounted

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think sdave will agree with me when I recommend that your first option should be trying to find a spotter, and that you only use the Smith if you really can't find anyone. Can't you ask one of your teammates? Some of them must lift.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 10:41am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have access to all that stuff i have a great gym thats two floors lots of dumbells barbells all those press machines benches the bar with the pad in the middle for squates but i have no spotter so thats why i cant bench
    You don't need to go balls out when bench pressing. You only need an spotter if you are doing heavy lifting. Baby steps, dude, baby steps.

I don't know how strong or weak you are, so I'm going to assume you are very weak. You can start with the plain barbell. If you can do over 12 reps (in good form, 1 second up, 2 seconds down), then add 5lbs on each side. You can still do over 12 reps, then add 5lbs, and so on and so on. You stop adding weight when you notice you have trouble doing 12 reps. At this point, write down the amount of weight you settle in (let's call it X).

Some people may say 5lbs is too little or too much. Others would say 12 reps is too little or too much. I think it's a good and safe compromise.

Once you figure what X is, you work with that weight for several weeks. Do some push ups as a warm up, then do 1 set of 12 reps using X/2, and then do 3 sets using X (trying to aim for 12 reps or more). Stick to that for a couple of weeks (a month, say). After that, increase X by 5lbs every week.

After a month or two of doing that, you should be able to start lifting heavier. This may not be the best, most optimal way to go about it, but this is the best one can come up for you to play safe over the internet.

-- EDIT --

Teh El Macho do you think what nerveasian posted is a good idea for my workout?
    Yep. sdave, nervesian, and LI GUY 1 are spot on.

sdave suggestion of using the smith machine is also a good one. And as nervesian said, all you have to do is ask anyone in the gym to spot you. Even if you can't find a spotter, bench pressing does not have to be the life-and-death powerlifting mother of all lifts of all times.

The smith machine with the stop set just above your chest as sdave is the better alternative for you.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 7/26/2007 10:46am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 5:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have a few older ppl i know that are at the gym ill ask them to spot for me when there there then ill go heavy but if not i think i will be ok
    also what about this some days if its busy instead of bench press once in awhile

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...ll+Bench+Press

also say i do 7 reps heavy weight and i barley managed 7 but i think i can do one more but no spoter and i dont want to hurt my self would a good compermise be to instead of attempt the final rep put the weights back and do pushups to top off the chest?
    Last edited by nayr01; 7/26/2007 5:48pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 5:58pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok kid, stop the non-sense. We can play at this game and go one question at a time for all of eternity. For every situation, you or I can always pull a "what if this" or "what if that". I, for one, do not feel like playing this.

We already told you to keep it simple since you are just beginning.

We already told you to stick to basic compound exercises.

We already gave you, what? three, four routines to choose from.

If we thought a one-arm dumbbell press would be good for you, we would have told you. But we haven't. Guess why? Because it isn't. :biblethum:

No wonder Equipoise gets so grumpy. I think my hair got grayer just from posting. Man!!!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 6:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok srry no more questions i just thought you liked helping ppl you didn't have to help me if it pissed you off but i still aprechiate it
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123