Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 6:58pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training with Epilepsy

I was recently daignosed with epilepsy not long after starting my training in Shootfighting. I had my first seizure a few weeks ago and another one today and was given a prescription for a medication to suppress it. I was wondering if there are any other martial artists in this forum who suffer from epilepsy who may have any good information on how to go about it?

Peace.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 9:08pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well im sure you know more about it than me, but what i would be worried about is going into a seizure when doing something like applying a submission because it's be pretty easy to hurt your partner. But as long as your medicated you should be ok. Just be sure to let your coach know.
    Last edited by Method2Madness; 7/24/2007 9:13pm at .

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 10:05pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what medication are you on? Obviously some sort of neuroleptic like Valpro or Tegretol... If you train heavily, the more fatigued you get, the more likely you will have a seizure, and neuroleptic information makes you tired and dehydrated.

With your seizures, do you get any auras? i.e. can you tell when it's coming on. Do you hear a strange noise or smell something that isn't there, or see funny colors? If you are going to be training and have a propensity towards seizures, it would be important to know when they are coming on.

Also, what is the cause of your epilepsy? If you are suffering from an acquired brain injury you should avoid anything that could lead to you being choked or struck in the head.

Overall, shootfighting is something I wouldn't recommend. look at Sakuraba.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 10:05pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can only speak from family experience - I have a relative that suffered from epilepsy. I said "suffered" since she has had it under control for more than a decade due to the medicines. I'm not sure what type of meds you have been prescribed, but at first, they knock the **** out of you. You may be drowsy and tired for a while, until your body adjusts itself to the meds.

But, from what I've witnessed, your seizures will be under control. They can only come back when you do not take your meds as prescribed AND you are not sleeping well AND you are under a lot of stress. Other than that, you should be fine.

However, echoing what M2M said, talk to your coach, and go light. Also, talk to your doc if it's ok to engage in strenuous physical activities. Not all forms of epilepsy (or the meds for them) are the same.

Don't tell him that you'll be doing BJJ or wrestling, just tell ask him if you can exercise vigorously (.ie. competing in a marathon or something). Most docs automatically flip when they hear one of their patients is doing that savage "cage fighting" thing from Spike TV.

Good luck.

-- EDIT --

Actually, Deadmeat is even more correct. Some epilepsy patients, like my relative, can see/feel it coming. Hers is a acquired brain injury, and she can feel it when one its coming (though she hasn't had one episode in over a decade.)
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 7/24/2007 10:09pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 10:37pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only had 2 seizures so far, and the drug I'm taking for it is called Keppra. Both times, the only hint that it was coming was being a bit tired, but it's hardly noticeable. I know that getting enough sleep and eating breakfast seem to be important factors. I'll keep the information about not mentioning shootfighting to my neurologyst fresh in my mind for my next appointment.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 10:41pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just make sure you take your meds - there's a lot of good ones out there. You'll be okay.

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 8:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once witnessed a (new-ish) student collapse with a seizure. My colleagues and I thought it was a blood sugar problem and we questioned him as to when he eaten etc. I got him some Coca Cola and he seemed to come around albeit shaken.

He had not declared his Epilepsy on our Med form so we were a bit caught out. Thankfully it wasn't a major attack. It was probably embarrassment that made him keep quiet and keep it to himself. Understandable and human. I haven't seen him since (and it was some time ago) so I don't know of his progress or whether he just decided to stop training.

Anyway, let your instructor and your doctor know and hopefully all will be well. Good Luck.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 8:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope it works out so you can keep training.

To echo above comments - talk to your doctor, and let the instructors know, so they won't be freaked out if you have a seizure, and so they can give the paramedics good information if it ever comes to that.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 10:28pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    while i'm very aware of how doctors have a tendency to be reactionary idiots... this is not the time to **** around. if you will be taking blows to the head, he needs to know. if you're going to get choked, he needs to know. how you explain this to him can be fudged - i'd lean towards saying amateur boxing and judo, myself - but only saying "vigorous exercise" is not terribly wise.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 10:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have PSVT, a form of it that effects the heart. You need to let everyone you train with know. You need to research it all you can. You need to know yourself and what sets it off (lack of sleep and stress are two likely things, and my mothers curried mince and cabbage on rice). Other than that, get all the professional medical advice you can and feel it out for yourself.
    I only get problems once or twice a year and rarely in training, but what I get usually allows me to stay alert and active, at least enough to get myself to safety. Only twice in my life has it left me unconscious. Once when I was 14 where I was convulsing on the ground so hard I somehow chipped a tooth, and once a few years ago when my heart just stopped.
    Some people only get a seizure every decade, others every hour. Keep asking questions and feeling it out for a while before you think about jumping in the ring. Part of that for me was thousands of dollars in medical testing that's occured since I was about 15.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast