Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 6:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnie11 View Post
    Pereira doesn't even really train except when he has no choice like when Kwang Choi teaches an instructor class. Most of the time he is in the office yapping up the phone when there is any training to be done. I have seen Allison train on many occasions over the years and the man has absolutely no martial arts talent at all, whatsoever. But, he is dedicated to his training unlike Pereira.

I have no opinion as I know nothing of CKD nor Mr Allison. However he is featured in this month's Martial Arts Illustrated. Perhaps you might want to write to Bob Sykes its Editor to express your concerns.

For myself, I may have to stop taking MAI; there's too much uncritical comment and it's championed Bob Spour (recently found out) and Uncle Frank Dux. Hmm, a worrying trend.

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 6:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi all..losing my virginity on the boards after ages watching from the sidelines so please...plenty of foreplay, be gentle and dont hate me in the morning! I was surprised to see Ralph Allison being given pole position in MAI until I saw the large advert which followed it. This echoed the practise of "Fighters" magazine, a once proud publication which deteriorated into a vanity rag which would sell you the cover feature plus five pages in the mag for £500. Its eventual decline came as no surprise. I didnt think Id see MAI wander down the same path and would urge Bob Sykes to take a long hard look at the calibre of some of his recent cover "stars" My issue with Mr Allison is his McDojo approach to marketing which differs very little to CKDs with Chi Combat being the universal panacea for all martial art ills. Does he realise he holds the hopes, fears and aspirations of his students and owes them honesty? Has Chi Combat been pressure tested? Is it that different to CKD? How can an art not tested under at least combat simulation be deemed to be anywhere near combat effective? No doubt his argument would be that his students love it and if we dont like it we dont have to play. God help any of these poor Clark Kents should they ever decide to put their skills to the test. Another dry-land swimming course!

"Do not lead me into temptation.....I know a short cut!"

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 10:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Too funny

Quote Originally Posted by ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE View Post
    Full Contact Clapping... An Alternative!
    by Ralph Allison
    Combat Magazine Page 37
    Date: April 2007

Chief Instructor Ralph AllisonA lot of people shy away from joining a croquet club or attending a organised outdoor festival – because of one reason: They don’t want to lose their day-job.

Full contact clapping gives you bruises, broken fingers etc. that your boss and your customers (or clients if you’re self employed) won’t appreciate. People you come in contact with on a daily basis will immediately ask themselves why you keep running around with such injuries. It doesn’t “look professional” when, for example, a bank clerk sits opposite you with a battered left hand. Right?

Doing semi contact clapping doesn’t solve the problem either, since semi contact often turns into full contact due to lack of control or too much ego!

Some people turn to “White Collar” clapping. Here is another alternative if you like to incorporate kicking techniques as well. Grandmaster Choi of Choi Kwang Do Martial Arts (CKD) came up with an alternative, which should satisfy those who would like to learn the art of clapping but also want to look “respectable” for their day-job the following morning.

In CKD we do not wear full boxing gloves; the ones we use are lighter and less thick (called “bag gloves”). The Clapping– or as we call it: Clapping Drills – are performed by bringing the right hand close to the .left hand. Non-contact but wearing the bag gloves just in case there is a slip; the other guy is covering his ears.

It’s getting more serious at Gold Belt level – moving around as in a rock concert with your gloves on and bringing our hands real close to the body and each other, whilst your partner is watching what you are doing with his hands close to his ears.

This kind of clapping(defence drill) teaches you focussing, angling off, targeting and “making a good impression”. All good stuff if you want to learn how to protect show your appreciation at a social event. One of my students (a shop owner) had to use our art (CKD) in a real life situation when he had to confront 3 street musicians outside his shop and I myself had to use it on various occasions – in other words : this kind of training works !

For a full-contact “enthusiast” this may not seem a “ perfect solution “. But isn’t that better than sitting at home not doing anything or doing full contact clapping and risking losing your job over it ?

I have a lot of high ranking martial artists (brown and black belts) who joined my club from other social skills classes because they got tired of the injuries and taking time off work or not being able to continue with their training.

It doesn’t matter how good you are in the festival– you will always get injured.
    In CKD we teach many “close range “ appreciation drills, which are also very useful if you get into a “spot of bother “ ( I’m demonstrating a friendly wave greeting technique with a student in the photo shown ).

This article is not here to convince people not to do full contact clapping. It just gives you an alternative you may consider trying.

And an extremely good alternative I think it is !

If you wish to know more about the author Ralph Allison of CKD Martial Arts go to www.blackbeltschoolsuk.com
    [/quote]

I don't know anything about martial arts, I don't even remember how I found this forum but after reading this post I had to register. That is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Had me in stitches. Good stuff.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 4:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    I have no opinion as I know nothing of CKD nor Mr Allison. However he is featured in this month's Martial Arts Illustrated. Perhaps you might want to write to Bob Sykes its Editor to express your concerns.

For myself, I may have to stop taking MAI; there's too much uncritical comment and it's championed Bob Spour (recently found out) and Uncle Frank Dux. Hmm, a worrying trend.
    Don't you know how idiots can end up on the front cover of martial arts magazines? It's all about the money for the magazine. I am sure that Allison purchased a large number of copies (perhaps thousands) which he then uses to promote himself. When I was in CKD for example, Kwang Choi would buy 5000 copies of TKD Times to be on the front cover or he would buy 10000 magazines from Paul Clifton (combat magazine, tkd & korean arts...) to be on the front cover of his magazines. It's all a giant scam....

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 8:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A very quick reply to Jonnies post. I agree with your observations and its made me wonder exactly who the magazines or "comics" as we used to refer to them are aiming at. I suspect that membership doesnt skyrocket as a result of being featured in a mag and I would also hazard a guess that none of the mags undertake real research as to the demographic of their audience. I bought Combat avidly as a young tkd student in the 80s as I had a thirst for anything "martial arts". I didnt know enough then to be critical and literally just took in what was provided. However hindsight is a wonderful thing and in my darkest hours I wonder if when I buy a mag now I'm just subsidising an advertising operation. Requiescat in Pace Fighting Arts International..**** ads...good articles!!
    I'd also love to see the good Master Allison reply on these pages..after all if he has the "Truth" it should become self evident as it unfolds in this thread.

"Oh why is there no monument to porridge in this land
    If its good enough to eat, its good enough to stand"
    William McGonagall

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 2:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: choi kwang do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnie11 View Post
    Don't you know how idiots can end up on the front cover of martial arts magazines? It's all about the money for the magazine. I am sure that Allison purchased a large number of copies (perhaps thousands) which he then uses to promote himself. When I was in CKD for example, Kwang Choi would buy 5000 copies of TKD Times to be on the front cover or he would buy 10000 magazines from Paul Clifton (combat magazine, tkd & korean arts...) to be on the front cover of his magazines. It's all a giant scam....
    When I was in CKD, I often heard Choi trying to get instructors in other countries to purchase thousands of copies to sell to their students.

As if they weren't paying enough to be in CKD, and enough for their students also, but he also tried guilting them into purchasing more than they'd ever need, just to promote himself.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 2:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: choi kwang do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "DanosGC:" I don't know anything about martial arts, I don't even remember how I found this forum but after reading this post I had to register. That is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Had me in stitches. Good stuff.

You're in good company. Those in CKD don't know anything about Martial Arts either. It's a health class with aerobics.

;)
    Last edited by kwangjochoi; 8/27/2009 2:27am at . Reason: forgot my smiley.

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 6:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just left CKD after 3 months, now doing BJJ and Muay Thai : )

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 5:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mauy thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My young daughter takes TKD and is half way there to her black belt and is very good. All of a sudden the owner was approached by CKD and now he is changing his place over to CKD from TKD and i'm appauled. I just went to a chicago seminar where choi was at and it was a joke all of it. For the past 2 weeks ive studied,went to the library,looked up everything on the internet about this CKD and I found nothing positive about this and if this owner does change this around I will be pulling my young daughter out of his school.Its a joke a cult like program,ITS FOR THE OLD OR FOR A HEALTH CLUB PROGRAM TO TEACH THERE.. This man says its easier on the joints and promotes health well I bought his book and ive read it now a few times and I can critique several things in this book that are very harmful on your joints. Ive been into fitness for over 25yrs and I know nutrition I know thebody and this master choi is wrong.I just cant believe when someone gets thrown money there way that the first thing they do is takle it and not worry about the students. Plus my wife and I were attacked by the owner in a verbal way and I thought masters are supposed to show respect and go by the tenents on there wall in class.God forbid if I have a question to ask the owner without him flying off the wall. he's a very bad business man and what bothers me is that he is good at TKD and teaching of that and is throwing his career away for this crap CKD. Now please i'm not just on a bash session but ive educated myself on this art I made alot of phone cals to other schools and ive come to the conclusion its not for my daughter or people that are really want to do a martial arts .Ive been learning mauy thai from a private instructor and i'll put up my instructor up against any black belt CKD any day in a ring and i'll take my mauy thai guy to win hands down.These moves that CKD do are horrible or some of the hand strikes and especialy the kicks.I'm very disappointed and i'm in a chicago suburb and looking for a different school if indeed this owner switches it over.I was very inpressed with the owner when we joined and he did a fantastic job teaching TKD but now this bull **** CKD no way. I have a signed CKD book from master choi. I paid $100 anyone ant to buy it i'll sell it for what I paid for it. The only bad thing is its signed to my daughter already,lol. I'll also take a trade for it.I'm so unhappy and disapponted. anyone in the chicago are please email me or pm me on this site so I can talk to you. Oh one more thing I had 2 TKD black belts from my daughters school come up to me after it was over and say how cheesy it was and then they.some of the schools did this choreagraph stuff and I said to myself is this maertial arts or a dance club. Plus all the ovr weight people I saw with CKD black belts was just god awful.
    Last edited by cubs; 3/08/2010 5:35am at .

Posted On:
    3/08/2010 5:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mauy thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwangjochoi View Post
    You're in good company. Those in CKD don't know anything about Martial Arts either. It's a health class with aerobics.

;)

very true. Whats also funny is that the people where so outdated with hair styles and clothing it was like they were from a different part of the united states where nobody kees up with the times.I saw hair do's from the 70-80's. And again I feel very bad to say stuf like this but I am speaking the truth from my heart