Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 3:29pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn
    you should rotate your hips with every punch ever...Also, using your shoulder to block ur face is how u keep ur hooks from opening u up to jabs and crosses

re-chambering your kicks has nothing to do having a favourite stance, any more than bringing your hands up to protect your face after throwing a punch does...

the reason elbow strikes are done with the bone is to cause more damage...

head movement is not a new concept, and your front foot should always be involved when you strike, whether pivoting for a left hook or stepping in for a jab/cross/whatever...

not trying to be a dick, but choi kwan do sounds like someone took the worst aspects of TKD and made it worse by applying a gross misunderstanding of both fighting and the human anatomy...
    I think there's a misunderstanding here. I was only listing the techniques so people could get an idea of what CKD actually was and why they claim it's "new". I find most of the "additions" to be flawed.

I agree, and was taught, that both hips should be involved in the jab and right cross. But they twist way more on the jab than I see most guys in Muay Thai/boxing/K-1 events. Also, when I say they punch shoulder height, I mean the cross never has to make an upward movement...it's like a hook. I was always taught to sheild myself with my shoulder.

I somewhat disagree that re-chambering kicks has nothing to do with favoring a stance. The main bad reason to do a CKD kick falling forward into a different stance is that you open yourself up and move into their range. But, even if that weren't such a bad idea, I have a feeling that a lot of guys would prefer to stay in one stance. That's why it's always noted in competitions/UFC, etc when the fighter freely switches stances almost 50/50 of the time.

I agree with you totally on elbow strikes. Finally, when using "defensive" punches, I'm not just talking about head movement or "use" of the front foot. I mean it's turned totally inward, like a boxer would do for a hook, which is bad because a boxer doesn't have to worry about a kick but most people do especially in "self-defense" situations.

edit: If you don't agree that falling forward on kicks is a bad idea, try it in sparring. I found that it did what my Muay Thai instructor warned me about, but if you can get it to work let me know how.
    Last edited by JanusMagus; 7/26/2008 3:49pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 4:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: choi kwang do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madmonkey
    In relation to the credentials of the man I mentioned they would appear to be true
    Can you provide reasonable proof?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 4:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: choi kwang do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siniq
    Somebody needs to bgeat the crap out of some CKD practitioners if not Choi him self.
    That was done a number of years back in Canada by a Karate Instructor.

It's been quite a few years between drinks for Choi.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 4:12pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^Proof please. We are in MABS so, you knew it was coming.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2008 6:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwangjochoi

Who was this karate instructor and what happened?

Posted On:
    7/27/2008 7:35am

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MORE INFO!!! Who was this guy and can we get his side of the story and his school his email, anything?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2008 7:51pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusMagus
    I somewhat disagree that re-chambering kicks has nothing to do with favoring a stance. The main bad reason to do a CKD kick falling forward into a different stance is that you open yourself up and move into their range. But, even if that weren't such a bad idea, I have a feeling that a lot of guys would prefer to stay in one stance. That's why it's always noted in competitions/UFC, etc when the fighter freely switches stances almost 50/50 of the time.

I agree with you totally on elbow strikes. Finally, when using "defensive" punches, I'm not just talking about head movement or "use" of the front foot. I mean it's turned totally inward, like a boxer would do for a hook, which is bad because a boxer doesn't have to worry about a kick but most people do especially in "self-defense" situations.

edit: If you don't agree that falling forward on kicks is a bad idea, try it in sparring. I found that it did what my Muay Thai instructor warned me about, but if you can get it to work let me know how.
    first off, i would like to point out that i stated all of this, which u would know if u read this

its about recovery, and the ability to pull your leg (and thus the rest of your body) out of harms way if said kick was ill timed or if your opponent is just good at countering.
    in its entirity. Also, I really no longer have any idea what u mean by "defensive"punches, unless u mean short hooks, in which case you can turn your leg as much as you want because you are inside kicking range.

Also madmonkey

Nothing wrong with falling forward on to kicking leg as gives you stable stance.
    contradictory and wrong, not to mention (because i just spent most of this post on it) the recovery issues inherint in not rechambering.

/rant

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 8:46am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn
    re-chambering your kicks has nothing to do having a favourite stance
    I don't see how I can disagree with you there and then not be saying anything different. However, I was reiterating a few of your points to stress that I am not a CKD advocate. Also, I was responding to two posts at once.

To the best of my understanding, a defensive round punch in CKD would be made when you're simply dodging a punch and attacking at the same time. I believe someone skilled would catch this inward movement of the front leg and be able to kick it in, causing the person who did it to fall. It's probably exactly what you think it is... to reiterate, say someone is in a left-front stance, and they go for a left hook, they would turn their left foot inward into the punch which opens it up and also puts in your brain the habit of doing it that way (barring any circumstances it might work it). Instead, I've always been taught to simply pivot the right leg into it instead. It gives up some power, but it doesn't open you up. Being close to the opponent, I imagine, wouldn't help too much because someone could make a short roundhouse (or swing) kick just like they might do to the inside of the leg when they're closer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 10:00am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His books are nothing much to go by. He plagarizes Korean Medical books and steals the concepts out of them. If you ask him questions on specifics, he says it's all about the "concept of CKD" and not about specific topics.

In other words, I've translated that to mean, don't ask me questions that aren't about Patterns and Speed Drills, because I have no in-depth knowledge myself.

His books, like he once admitted to me, were to make him as famous as General Choi. He says General Choi was nothing until he wrote his books. So the guy whose art he slanders, he wants to be like.

Unfortunately, Kwang Choi is still nothing, even after writing his books.
    And pil sung (or is it phihil shuhung, or pil shung or pill suck, now??) kwangjochoi. Your moniker gives me some gastric disturbance, as it is a sickening reminder of my shameful, naive past.
    But, you are 100% correct about 1) plagerism, and not just from korean books and 2) I always heard the same thing about "his book" and Gen. Choi's. Some years ago it was strongly suggested that he make his book a less expensive, spiral or paper bound book so it could be priced for all student's budgets. However, he was bound and determined that he would have a "big" book like Gen. Choi's (he frequently used that as an example of the kind of book he was going to write) and charge lots of $$ for it. Ah - no wonder he took "integrity" out of the tenets!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 10:02am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hence my two cents worth. CKD is (and i use this term "loosely") TKD with gross movements, and a nice little dance beat.
    OMG!!!! I love the dance beat - can't you hear it now??:israel7va
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111718192021 22232425 ... LastLast