Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 12:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: CKD, BJJ White

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @saman
    was Mr.P nearly sent to jail in the UK then? tell me more!! I haven't met the man but he sounds like a right mackavellian piece of work.

When i told my instructor i was taking BJJ he told me that there was no way that he would be allowed to do that which i think is pretty ridiculous.

I remember going to the UK seminar in 2005 and missed the morning session...thank god because i nearly fell asleep from the Grandmasters detailed health benefit explanations lol.
    They were also charging people to have their photos taken with the Grandmaster...they just don't know when they are kicking themselves in the teeth!!

The Koo website came as a bolt out of the blue for me about 9 months ago but luckily i can take a more critical view of things as i am not an assistant instructor or instructor. I would not be happy if i became and instructor and then found out that i am not allowed to cross train.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 12:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: CKD, BJJ White

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Cyril
    Choi Kwang Do black belt status is pretty much the same as TKD. All it really means is that you can competently perform the techniques.

i dont think you could get to 2nd dan in 8 months though (may be wrong though)...would have thought it was more like 2 years.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 7:06am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to Roger Koo, who was in business with him in the UK. I know he got tossed in the pokey a few years ago (according to p himself) as a result of a fight he got into with, I think, a Koo family member. According to his story, choi had to get him out in order for p to participate in some seminar.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 10:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CKD is a crime against commonsense, that's reason enough to lock him up IMO.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 11:13pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A local CKD club is offering a month of training for £1, find it funny im still wondering if its worth it. Money does go to charity though...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 6:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny indeed. We noticed the small print on the sign of a school we saw and it touted a free month for EVERY donation. So, we decided that 36 could get you a black belt!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 9:31am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saman,

Interesting stuff about periera and choi. Wouldn't entirely agree about the TKD history as WTF and ITF history contradict each other and who knows which is more accurate. I have practiced both styles and enjoyed them for different reasons. ITF style is not just shotokan karate with more kicks though, It includes as many kung fu like moves as WTF, eg sonkal taerigi(knife hand strike). The difference is that WTF focuses more on the kicks and full contact sparring (sport element) while using simpler patterns. The ITF focuses more on self defence and semi contact sparring with more complicated patterns. Both use sequential movement in training. In fact most martial arts us sequential movement eg Boxing, Muay Thai.

But like anything else not the art that is effective but the person.
    From the comments here Peirera does not seem to be a good kind of martial artist.
    Last edited by madmonkey; 5/20/2008 6:49pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 7:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, Nick, that's my point. choi touts that he "invented" sequential motion in martial arts, nobody else does it, they are all weak and powerless & will harm you etc. Anyone who has ever done tkd or karate and then goes on to buy into this line of crap must have to suspend reality or had exceptionally poor training in their prior art. The rest of them (ckd is their first/only ma) , who are well brain washed, BELIEVE:biblethum this with the zealousness of a Moonie at a train station.
    The tkd history is that choi did kwon bup (Korean karate form) and ITF tkd and nothing else despite his public assertions. OLD style tkd (and, if you see N. Koreans do ITF tkd you will still see this) is quite "stiff" and lots of deep stances. I actually do know my ma history as it is part of my professional job as a researcher and author for ma books to compare the various versions of history and glean out the crapola. Nevertheless, having been to N. Korea to explore the state of tkd and observe the performances of these martial artists - an eyeopener. choi is pretty correct when he would tell us that there are few/no masters over 50 who actually still actively train. It is definitely for the young! In the West we see the changes that are able to evolve in a non-communist environment. Consequently, it is a little less physically harsh.
    I still laugh at the memory of choi once telling me that periera was "somewhat limited" (regarding his martial arts skills) but that he knew how to get students in the door. Unfortunately, choi's observation has failed to show him that this guy is also the single most common reason that students LEAVE the school he operates and why CI's quit in disgust and are so anti-ckd. Any consultant in m.a. business will tell you that it is more cost effective to retain your students than to always having to recruit new ones.
    To be totally honest, most of us don't necessarily think that the ART of ckd is so terrible for certain people. But the behaviour of their leadership, along with the underhanded acts when schools leave, makes it an embarassment to most of us to say that's what we teach. So, old ckd instructors re-make ckd, add and delete, and out comes something new. I.E. Pil Sung Do (http://pilsungdo.com/) or www.choikwangdo-fl.com/.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 9:45am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting stuff, sounds like a fun job. Do you do that freelance or for a publishing company. I loved TKD as it made me feel like I was learning more than just how to fight, also a good moral code something to believe in (bear in mind this was when I was an impressionable teen). I really enjoy muay thai and other martial arts but the one thing cross training doesn't give you is a guiding set of pinciples beyond the pragmatic use it if it works.

I still feel that there are huge personal benefits from the traditional arts like tkd, karate, kung fu. The only thing I find hard to reconcile is some of the illusions they create about self defence effectiveness, as some of the more traditional stuff and tactics would be the last thing I would do in a self defence situation eg using traditional blocks or rigid stances.

My instructor Davey Goodfellow was very good at not only teaching the art but also giving lots of little practical nuggets of philosophy and ways of thinking. It wasn't incredible deep but it did help develop mental readiness as well as confidence and competence.

Choi might to be good at doing this but the impression one gets from the actual websites is of someone arrogant and self promoting.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 11:57am

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboulton
    I loved TKD as it made me feel like I was learning more than just how to fight, also a good moral code something to believe in (bear in mind this was when I was an impressionable teen).
    That was like me when I started in shukokai - I was convinced that karate was the business...but even then I had an unhealthy Bruce Lee obsession so what do I know?

I really enjoy muay thai and other martial arts but the one thing cross training doesn't give you is a guiding set of pinciples beyond the pragmatic use it if it works.
    Absolute horseshit.

This has been debated elsewhere, but a martial art is for fighting. Any other benefits are secondary. I have met TMA guys who are total arseholes and JKD/MMA guys who are the nicest guys in the world. I have also met TMA guys who are genuinely decent folks and MMA guys who are obnoxious pricks.

People are either tossers or non-tossers and no art can compensate for that

What moral principles do you learn in any art where the basic idea is to kick someone's teeth in?

I still feel that there are huge personal benefits from the traditional arts like tkd, karate, kung fu..
    Me too - in the same way I see great value in reading literature, skipping, latin dancing and personal secular beliefs.....that should not be any concern of a combat system though

The only thing I find hard to reconcile is some of the illusions they create about self defence effectiveness,
    You mean exactly like CKD does then?

as some of the more traditional stuff and tactics would be the last thing I would do in a self defence situation eg using traditional blocks or rigid stances. .
    few people would...there is a website that is knocking around that talks about this. It is called "billshudo.net" or something. Why not check it out?

:deadhorse
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast