Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 11:32pm

Style: BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Using fighting gloves for the bag?

I'm a huge n00b when it comes to bag work. I was wondering if it is allright to use my boxing gloves on a heavy bag, or if I require a special kind of glove for bag work. Thanks in advance :)

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 12:19am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no right or wrong glove for bag work. It just depends on what your goals are.

Are you planning for an upcoming fight (if so, what type of glove will you be using)?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 12:33am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudClod
    I'm a huge n00b when it comes to bag work. I was wondering if it is allright to use my boxing gloves on a heavy bag, or if I require a special kind of glove for bag work. Thanks in advance :)
    Ideally you should be using bag gloves for bagwork, but there's nothing wrong with using training gloves on the bag.

You should not, however, use competition gloves on the heavy bag. They're intended only for ringfights, so they aren't really designed to withstand the wear-and-tear of daily training. It's just not what they're for.

If you don't know whether your gloves are training or competition, they're probably training. So, pick up a pair of bag gloves when you can. But until then, go ahead and use the ones you have.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 12:35am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my experience, the thicker gloves used for sparring (16ozers in my case) tend to make for a sloppier fist and my hands always end up hurting after a round or two of bagwork, whereas the smaller gloves (10 or 12oz) or bag gloves do not. This could just be due to the sparring gloves I've used for bagwork all being shitty and old, however. If you can afford it, it's probably best to have a pair of gloves for sparring and a pair of bag gloves so you maintain your gloves (apparently sparring gloves aren't as durable for hitting the bag as bag gloves as they use different types of foam) and don't end up hurting your hands. I actually find that hitting the bag with my shitty gloves hurts my hands much more than hitting the bag bareknuckle.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 1:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also highly recommend always wrapping your hands before hitting the bag. A lot of people don't, and I didn't used to, but all it took was one sloppy, unwrapped left hook to make me see the error of my ways.

If you don't know how, check out the recent "hand wraps" thread. Several different methods are described/linked to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 1:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use my 16oz gloves for everything. Sparring, bag work, padwork. No one has complained and so far I havent seen any proplems doing it. Just dont get shitty ones it might help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 8:32am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I alternate between a pair of 12oz and 16oz on the bag. I enjoy the variety although I don't notice any real difference in terms of technique or quality of the workout. I only use 16oz to spar and I definately appreciate it when my sparring partner does the same thing.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 10:04am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    There is no right or wrong glove for bag work. It just depends on what your goals are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaiBoxerShorts
    I also highly recommend always wrapping your hands before hitting the bag. A lot of people don't, and I didn't used to, but all it took was one sloppy, unwrapped left hook to make me see the error of my ways.
    I went bare-knuckled for a while and of course got a few pieces of skin pulled off my knuckles but that was nothing compared to the chunks of flesh that were torn off when I started using my open finger sparring gloves.

Now I know to tape up all my knuckles before working the bag.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 11:48pm

Style: BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys :) I'm planning on getting training gloves. I'm not preparing for a fight, I simply want to improve punching power, and wanted to know if it would be better to use a different kind of glove. I'm looking for training gloves, but all I find are weight lifting gloves. Does anyone have a link, or a name of training glove they'd prefer? Thanks a bunch!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 1:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use these, and I'm pretty happy with them.

But keep in mind that training gloves and bag gloves are not the same thing. Training gloves are primarily for sparring. If you're just hitting the bag, go with something from here.

Whatever you get, you're probably going to want to order it online rather than buy it in a retail shop. I've only ever seen Everlast and Century equipment in brick-and-mortar stores, and both are cheap, low-quality crap that you don't want.

Anything ordered from Combat Sports or Ringside is going to be pretty decent stuff, and reasonably priced. That's what I would recommend.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast