Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 12:41pm

Style: Dragon Ball Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are they really pricey off the internet? I remember seeing some for thirty beans somewhere

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 1:10pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seen some for about 30 too, the price is great but if i needed to send them back it just gets awkward.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 1:11pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah SFire. I think spirez refers to the potential hassle of buying them off the net and then find out they are the wrong size. I bought a pair of ASICs from amazon for less than $40. Size was perfect (it was for lifting actually). Pretty good pair of shoes, and I recently bought a pair of ADIDAS mat hogs on Sports Authority for $38-something.

spirez, of course that chemist tape isn't gonna work. You need to use real sports tape. Even then, it can slide off when sweating. I wouldn't worry about the toe not being able to breat under duct tape. It's not like you are going to keep it on all day. A more pressing concern is to make sure the tape doesn't cut circulation.

As for the article on toe tapping, that's overkill IMO (I'm no doctor, so take that with a grain of salt:P) I got toe turf on my right toe almost two years ago... and it stills bothers me enough to make me wince every once in a while.

What I do (and what has worked for me) is to tape the big toe to the index toe, and nothing more. Sure, the taping procedure in that article is much safer, but alas, you need someone to do it. It's not practical for regular classes.

Tape both toes firmly (without cutting circulation). The closer the tape runs at the base of the toes, the better. This makes sure your big toes doesn't hyperextend backwards (or at least, limits the damage.) Practice at home, and get a feeling of what's safe and stable and what's cutting circulation.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 1:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes if you're lucky there will be one scabby pair in a large sports shop, so you could try them on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 2:14pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Instead of wrestling shoes, get SAMBO shoes. They have a slick sole and provide good toe protection too.

The slick sole is good for Judo and even striking because it allows the foot to pivot freely. That's important to save your knees from twisting when you go for a judo throw or even a thai kick.

After getting my knee twisted while wearing wrestling shoes & working throws, I've abandoned them-- won't even go barefoot for grappling.

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 2:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ugh that must have been awful

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 4:22pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In training I see nothing wrong with it. Hell after I take a good bean to the ear I'll put on wrestling head gear. For some reason I have an aversion to cauliflower ear. We have guys who wear shoes at my gym and my hands do seem naturally attracted to them and they do help be grab, hold and keep a guys foot. But like it was stated before. If a guy has a futzed up ankle, toe, knee, arm, ribs, neck or anything else for that matter, I refrain from abusing that part too much. I wouldn't advise them for competition though just based on the fact they give the other guy that much more to grip on in an attempt to foot, toe or ankle lock you.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 1:16pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, footlocks hurt a **** of alot more when you have shoes on, but you know, you could always wait a little while for it to heal to the point it doesnt get continuously reinjured, and then tape it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123