Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 9:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he is having that many problems with his feet, it would seem reasonable to ask his training partners to refrain from using footlocks or toeholds for a time. People have asked me to do this before, and I was always more than happy to oblige. Better to omit a technique or two for a while than to have no training partner at all.
    Last edited by bigguybjj; 7/24/2007 9:25pm at .

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 9:27pm

Style: Dragon Ball Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True dat

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 10:16pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spirez
    I'm thinking of picking a pair up as i damaged the ligaments in my toes on one foot quite some time ago and every time it starts to get better i end up bending my toes and taking me back to square one!

I also struggle with going for double legs as when i lunge down all my toes buckle on the one foot and cause me to buckle a bit.

Do these things offer decent support to the toes or are they pretty flexible?

I might look like an ass wearing a gi and wrestling shoes but hey, my toe's more important! BTW taping it was no good, would just become loose after a 15 minutes.
    Try duct tape. No, I'm not kidding you. That **** stays on your toes no matter how much you sweat and roll.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 10:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I havs broken toes in the past. I have been rolling with them for 5 years. I have had good results.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 11:41pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I rolled with wrestling shoes the first three and a half years I trained BJJ. I have freakishly long toes and worried that they would get broken. Plus, they're really ugly and I have a small complex about them.

Wearing them was never a problem for my training partners. I did get footlocked successfully more then than I do now with bare feet however.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 6:49am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Try duct tape. No, I'm not kidding you. That **** stays on your toes no matter how much you sweat and roll.
    I'm told zinc oxide tape (I'm assuming there is a significant difference between that and duct tape? Maybe not) is the one best suited for sports use - e.g., this UK supplier, which has lots of options. One of the instructors at RGA, Jude, seems keen on using it to tape up his fingers.

Unless zinc oxide tape was the one already tried by the OP?

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 6:56am

Style: Dragon Ball Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I broke my toe this year but haven't done any serious training on it since it's recovered. Can I expect problems with that? Will I perhaps need to get wrestling shoes?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 12:16pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers for the replies guys.

I found out that it's commonly referred to as Turf Toe

The only thing with duct tape is i don't think it will allow the foot to breathe properly. Will look into that Zinc Oxide stuff though. The stuff i used previously was just micropore tape from the chemist. It's a paper type tape and doesn't lend well to flexibility or being stretched around a joint.

I found a nice little article about taping it up but it looks pretty hard to do to myself whilst being able to gauge if it's too tight or too loose for a 1hr 45min BJJ session.

http://www.athleticadvisor.com/Injur...toe_taping.htm

Will defo look into the shoes but i better check with my instructor before shelling out the cash.

I'm guessing Adidas or Asics are the two main brands. Is it true you have to buy half a size bigger than your regular shoe size?

bigguybjj, i hardly ever get caught in toe holds or foot locks, the main time i mess it up is when shooting for a double leg or generally when rolling from the knees when i'm up on my toes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 12:30pm

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wear Asics. I bought them to use in my boxing gym actually. Don't really wear them to kick. I've worn them to BJJ occasionally and they get caught on stuff sometimes, but nothing too bad. They'll probably do you good when you're shooting.

Mine are a half size bigger than my shoes. I'd just try on several and use whatever feels right.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 12:37pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only problem i have is that wrestling is not big in the UK and i don't know of anywhere to buy the shoes, other than off the net. Sucks!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast