Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 1:43pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone wear wrestling shoes in BJJ/MMA?

I'm thinking of picking a pair up as i damaged the ligaments in my toes on one foot quite some time ago and every time it starts to get better i end up bending my toes and taking me back to square one!

I also struggle with going for double legs as when i lunge down all my toes buckle on the one foot and cause me to buckle a bit.

Do these things offer decent support to the toes or are they pretty flexible?

I might look like an ass wearing a gi and wrestling shoes but hey, my toe's more important! BTW taping it was no good, would just become loose after a 15 minutes.

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 5:28pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to wear wrestling shoes for training sessions revolving around shootfighting. After about 2002 it became frowned upon to kick while wearing the shoes so I stopped. I did find they gave excellent support though.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 5:37pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you've got really fucked up feet, it's probably better to have shoes rather than wrapping/taping. I was considering getting a pair when my sprained toes weren't getting any better.

One downside is that if you have to leave to get a drink of water or take a piss or something, you have to take off the shoes, leave, come back, put em back on, and return to the mat.

Otherwise, with BJJ, it's definitely ok, though they do have the disadvantage of making it easier to get a lock or crusher hold on you. But if it comes down to it, not permanently messing up your feet is probably the overriding consideration.

As for MMA, that's up to your instructor and partners if they're ok with getting kicked or stomped with shoes. I just watched a KOTC match where the fighter with shoes kept heel-stomping his opponent's feet in the clinch and I felt it was kind of dirty pool.

Just remember not to use your shoes for anything other than BJJ so you don't get the mat dirty.

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 6:32pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judah Maccabee

Just remember not to use your shoes for anything other than BJJ so you don't get the mat dirty.

VERY important point!
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 6:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wear them a lot but there are pros and cons.

I actually rolled my ankle because of them when grappling.

I had a high mount and my feet tucked under and the guy rolled on my ankle.

With out wrestling shoes I pull my foot out and nothing happens. With wrestling shoes the foot gets trapped and it makes a loud popping noise.

Wrestling shoes however are also good in avoiding athletes foot and all the other disgusting things you can pick up on the mat.

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 7:53pm

Style: Dragon Ball Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems odd that you're allowed to walk barefoot around the piss pot, come back in and get on with it, but you gotta take off the shoes when you leave the room and then come back in. I've never had any wrestling shoes but I always wanted some, because they look cool and randalman-like. It is much more masculine wearing shoes then not wearing them

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 8:17pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems odd that you're allowed to walk barefoot around the piss pot, come back in and get on with it, but you gotta take off the shoes when you leave the room and then come back in.
    I dunno where you train, but we have communal sandals that we use when we leave the mat so that doesn't happen. You have to have something on your feet if you step off the mat.

I bought my own sandals to avoid communal foot diseases.

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 8:20pm

Style: Dragon Ball Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train in somalia, where shoes are forbidden by law.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 8:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some of the people where I train roll with them, but not very many. It seems to be an OK practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 9:05pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only problem i see is that its easier to get footlocked. I used to wear shoes and was ecouraged to stop, but now im thinking about wearing ankle supports.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast