Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 9:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training with a torn meniscus.

This has been a shitty summer for my body. First an appendectomy, and now it looks like I might have a small tear in my right lateral meniscus.

It's not too bad, and usually doesn't bother me when I'm running, doing squats, ect. Its most noticeable after I sit japanese style for more than a minute or so, because my leg will lock when I try to get up. Still, it's apparently possible to go your whole life and never need to get it repaired. So my question is to you who have slight knee problems/injuries, about how has it affected your training. Do you find there are some things you just can't do? Do I just need a knee brace, or will this cause major problems later?

I'd especially appreciate replys from people in grappling arts where rolling around the floor on your knees is a big requirement.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 9:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get wiped in grappling, but I did rip my menicus, left knee, from a mt biking wreck and the surgical nurse told me after my exam that with surgery I would be at 85%. So I asked what about with no surgery and she said about 65% recovery. So I did nothing, thinking that a season out with recovery from surgery didn't sound too hot, and it's fine now. It took a long time (years) before I could do sieza, but as far as I can tell it's 100% now. I did wrap it during workouts, mostly to remind me not to stress the knee, for as long as I felt it was needed. And I did a lot of biking, rather than jogging or kicking or whatever.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 8:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What, no one out there has a fucki9ng opinion????????????????????????????????????
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 8:46pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im currently weight training and Thai Boxing with a torn TFCC (Triangular Fibro Cartilage Complex). The doctor said its good for me, as long as I don't go "out of my boundaries". It used to be a terrible pain in my right wrist, and lost most of my range of motion. Im about a month down the road and Ive almost regained all my rotation back.

IMO, you should see a doctor, get an MRI done, and listen to your doc.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 8:51pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a torn lateral meniscus for over 10 years. It rarely bothered me (by that i mean it bothered me very badly when it locked up but that happened only occasionally ) until I started grappling, when eventually even pulling guard used to make it lock. I had it repaired a few months ago and it's great now.

Get an MRI if you haven't already and see a good knee surgeon. If you plan to grapple, I'd reccomend the repair.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 9:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **This post has zero advice for you. Be warned...**

My knee has been fucked up for over 9 years and I have no idea what's wrong with it. Just have never bothered to go to the doctor since I figure I'd probably have to quit training. Funny thing is it messes up my training anyway and seems to be getting worse. I guess I should have it checked out... (RE says that knowing it's complete bullshit and he will never go to the doctor).

**Now, back to your regularly scheduled real answers...**
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 1:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very sorry for the thread necro, but i figured it'd be better then starting my own.

Anyway, my knee's been raping me for the past two years, finally got an x-ray...nothing.

So i got an MRI, and turns out i tore the cartilage in my knee (I'm pretty sure he said meniscus)

Anyhow, i'm getting surgery on the 14th to fix it...he said i'd be out and walking after the surgery, but...will i be able to train with it?

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 1:55am

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is depressing... I hate knee injuries. I just refucked up my recently strained ACL, probably tore the fucker this time. I dont even wanna hear the news. Shitshit. Bionic knees plz.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 2:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KayRoc
    This thread is depressing... I hate knee injuries. I just refucked up my recently strained ACL, probably tore the fucker this time. I dont even wanna hear the news. Shitshit. Bionic knees plz.
    I concur.

However, strained ACL != torn meniscus!

tear your meniscus, or find the ACL support thread!!!

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 6:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3moose1 If you are doing a walk-in walk-out it's most likely arthroscopic and they are just cleaning the torn meniscus out of your joint. Supposedly you can go back to training immediately but you have to give yourself some time not going 100% on it so you can build the new muscle to pick up the stabilizing work. Given the proper time I think you'll forget you hurt your knee after a while. Just gotta get there without tearing it worse before you get some more muscle.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast