Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 8:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks so much for the thanks, except for newtobjj, he must not get it, probably has too many close encounters of the BJJ closenessssss:

"Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 8:40pm

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    inspirational. thanks pat.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 9:09pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bluming is the shite:

His bio is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Bluming
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 4:19am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the articles. Sounds like a tough SOB, that one. I guess it came with heritage though.. His granny seemed like a tough fighter, especially with an umbrella in her hand.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 4:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Koryu Budo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I first read about Dreager & Bluming when I was a kid. It was one of the things that influenced me to study gendai and koryu in Japan. Jon Bluming is correct though, the standards have dropped considerably since the old days, it's harder and harder to find teachers who can teach "Shinken Shobu" budo. There are a few, but not as many as there used to be.

Thanks for posting these.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 5:03am

Style: Taijutsu, Army Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna
    Interesting to note he received his first dan in Judo in less than a year. Such claims don't always mean the person or school is crap.
    Reminds me of this discussion from 1095: http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_leonard_0802.htm

At one point, it is said "Preliminary trainings in judo are arranged in eight grades [kyu]. There are few exceptional cases in which a beginner may successfully climb up the eight within one year. After passing the first grade, only then can he be said to have begun to understand something of the art of judo. He then joins a class of beginners called shodan. It is a far cry from this stage of his attainment to the mastery of judo. It is the beginning of serious work; in the shodan stage a man usually learns the price which one must pay to become the master of his body."

Some people are just dedicated. Some people are natural.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arjuna
    Interesting to note he received his first dan in Judo in less than a year. Such claims don't always mean the person or school is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Black 6
    Reminds me of this discussion from 1095: http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_leonard_0802.htm

At one point, it is said "Preliminary trainings in judo are arranged in eight grades [kyu]. There are few exceptional cases in which a beginner may successfully climb up the eight within one year. After passing the first grade, only then can he be said to have begun to understand something of the art of judo. He then joins a class of beginners called shodan. It is a far cry from this stage of his attainment to the mastery of judo. It is the beginning of serious work; in the shodan stage a man usually learns the price which one must pay to become the master of his body."

Some people are just dedicated. Some people are natural.
    I met HoratioHooah in Hawaii (through Bullshido TD efforts) and last time we worked out he'd been awarded Brown in Judo after nine months, from Olympian Kevin Asano. He said that there was some feelings in the Dojo, but WTF, when you're good, you're good.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 8:16am

Style: Not Currently Training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent read, though I have to say that the start of the interview made me think, "Ah, an interview done in the "please can I piss in your pocket, Master?" style.

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 11:29am

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have hosted Blumming twice. Some folks have their issues with him, but I found him to be a great guy. He is amazing on a technical level. I talk with him on a fairly regular basis.

Aaron Fields
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12