Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 1:26pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hui_Xiu
    No, I was just curious.

If you wanted to learn to fight after training a while, would they teach you?

oh, and why did you ask about me looking for a school? Do you have a recommendation?
    there are some WL sifu's that post on kungfumagazine's forums. You'd probably be better off asking there.

jackrusher is right about the level of "fighters", most people doing the style aren't looking to be top fighters, and those that do usually leave.

As I said, it's not the place in Orlando to train to be a fighter, but it won't stop you from learning a thing or two.

jackrusher, you don't have PM's turned on, but I'd like to hear who you'd recommend in Orlando.

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 2:10pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by isol8d
    jackrusher, you don't have PM's turned on, but I'd like to hear who you'd recommend in Orlando.
    I just tried to activate PMs. Send me one if you get a chance, I want to make sure I did it right.

I can't really recommend a CMA fight school in Orlando. The best san shou/san da schools I know in Florida are Choy Lay Fut places (Lee Koon Hung's kwoon, John Wai's place), all of which are centered around the Fort Lauderdale area.

There's some good Muay Thai in Orlando, though, from what I understand.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 8:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wah Lum in Orlando

I did some Bujinkan when I was in high school/college and now 13 or so years later, I decided I wanted to get back into MA. I live in Orlando, Florida. I've been researching around and found the Wah Lum school, and have read discussions about it on a number of fora, including this one. I've read opinions that ran the gamut.

Since the last thread on the topic here was started over two years ago, I don't feel too self-conscious about starting a new one. I visited the school this week and observed a class. What I saw was very pretty to watch, which is nice. While I don't want to get back into MA to learn to dance, there is a part of me that appreciates aesthetics. As far as SD goes, I've been a concealed weapons permit holder for years, and that will continue to be my primary means of SD. However, I am interested in something that has at least a degree of effectiveness in application. At my age, I'm not chasing a belt or wanting to be badass. Primarily, I think I just want to do something enjoyable.

All of that having been said, I woud like to solicit opinions about Wah Lam, as well as opinions regarding other CMA schools in Orlando.

Thank you very much.

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 9:29pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 9:01am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrusher
    The short answer: no.

The long answer: Chan Pui is a skilled sifu who knows how to fight (stand up only), and he produced a few fighters many years ago, but his school has been essentially forms only for at least fifteen years. There's limited sparring, all of which is tournament-style point stuff.

Are you looking for a place to train in Central Florida?
    I am. I observed a class at Wah Lum this week, but am still fielding opinions about CMA in Orlando. I started a thread in the BS forum about WL because even though I saw this thread, I thought some of the responses were a little flippant.

Please advise. I am not necessarily looking to become the ultimate fighter, but even though I appreciate aesthetics, I don't want to just "dance". Surely the two cannot be mutally exclusive.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 10:39am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tanizaki
    I am. I observed a class at Wah Lum this week, but am still fielding opinions about CMA in Orlando. I started a thread in the BS forum about WL because even though I saw this thread, I thought some of the responses were a little flippant.

Please advise. I am not necessarily looking to become the ultimate fighter, but even though I appreciate aesthetics, I don't want to just "dance". Surely the two cannot be mutally exclusive.
    Actually they pretty much are. Dancing is athletic and will keep you in shape it is not fighting. The more you practice forms the less time you have to drill and spar.

This "ultimate fighter" is the typical excuse CMAers use. That's your bias shinning through. You either want to dance or you want to learn realistic SD. Most people that tell you they can be done in the same school eevntually complain about how they don't have enough sparring partners.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 10:41am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I thought Chan Pui pretty much retired and the divisiveness is due to his daughters apparent lack of ability?

If the thread still exists on KFO I'll try to find it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 11:00am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Actually they pretty much are. Dancing is athletic and will keep you in shape it is not fighting. The more you practice forms the less time you have to drill and spar.

This "ultimate fighter" is the typical excuse CMAers use. That's your bias shinning through. You either want to dance or you want to learn realistic SD. Most people that tell you they can be done in the same school eevntually complain about how they don't have enough sparring partners.
    I've been training in CCW for nine year now. Thus, "realistic" SD is a bit of a secondary concern.

Also, I'm not a CMAer, and everyone is biased. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.
    Last edited by tanizaki; 7/28/2007 11:08am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 11:07am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Also, I thought Chan Pui pretty much retired and the divisiveness is due to his daughters apparent lack of ability?

If the thread still exists on KFO I'll try to find it.
    I found it, but it was closed a few years ago. Thus, I'm seeking newer opinions.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 11:12am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tanizaki
    I've been training in CCW for nine year now. Thus, "realistic" SD is a bit of a secondary concern.
    Then what are you worried about? If it is secondary then go do pretty forms.

Don't know what CCW is unless it is RBSD.

Also, I'm not a CMAer, and everyone is biased. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.
    Wow bad analogy. Biased people are actually really good at selling because, they are biased towards their wallet.

Didn't say you were a CMAer. I said it is a typical excuse they use.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast