• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 5:40am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW I have till 10 am this morning, then I wont have access to a computer. So I would really appreciate any more feedback, thanks alot guys. Also, if you do get this after 10 am still post, in the rae case that I find a pc. Thanks guys again. Oh yea, my bro (LI GUY 1) owes me and our partner big time for staying up all night and getting drunk and figuring **** out for him. Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 9:42am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok i know this is a little off topic but i reckon it might be related, i have been boxing for the past month and for the past week i have been in alot of pain across my outer 3 knuckles and down the outside of my fist when i punch or even make a fist, due to this i have decided not to hit the back for the next couple of days. does any one have any ideas what im doing to cause this pain? i train under my innstructor 4 hours a week and work out on the bag at home for atleast another hour per day, could the way i wrap my hands be causing this? or perhaps im working to much? im almost thinking im hitting too hard but i dont think thats possible, the only other thing i can think off is perhaps because i havent done any real exercise with my hands since i pleayed rugby in 1994. please help as the really hurt and whilst the pain is bearable its stopping me from training.

cheers adam
    Last edited by LX8VD69; 7/27/2007 10:36pm at .

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 9:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wrapping between fingers and Classic/Mexican

Wrap between the figures or Not
    i dont know much about hand wraps or anything since i just started getting activily into martial arts stuff. I just bougth hand wraps recently. I had bought ones that were 108" because thats all that was available in my area, but when i went to put they clearly werent long enought to wrap my hand properly for full protection.

Like i said, i dont have experience with this stuff, but i know how to think logically, and if you using something to wrap your hands in to give them support and keep everything in place, youd want them to wrap up as much of your hand as you can, while still being able to move it comfortably. So it only makes sense that you should wrap between your fingers, not to mention around the knuckles and wrist more than 2x, and with the 108 size you cant do either, and i dont have big hands.

I figured for boxing since you have gloves on it might not matter as much since their under the gloves, but definitly without using gloves its going to give you the most support going between the figures, i would say if your not wearing gloves and using your hands alot you should definetly wrap between the fingers.
    it would make sense that its keeps the wraps in place better too as people had mentioned. and even if you are wearing gloves weather you need to wrap between the fingers or not, its still going to give you more support, so you might as well.

to me it makes the most sense to get the longest handwraps you can find and use the entire wrap to wrap you hands in order to protect them the best. thats why i ended up getting 180" wraps instead of the 108".

Classic/cotton Vs. Mexican/elasticized
    as far as classic/cotton Vs. mexican/elasticized
    ive head mixed things while reading around about this. but basically what i found was, the mexican style wraps are more popular these days, but that have a number of possible drawbacks.

Mexican
    Pros:
    1.) they conform to the hand better and are more comfortable
    2.) they "breath" better, so you hands dont weat as much

Cons:
    1.) you have to be extra carefull when wrapping your hand because its even eaiser to wrap them too tight, than it is with classic ones which is easy enough in itself.

2.) they tend to loosen or tighten as you punch (usually tighten) and therefore, either dont give your hand the support if they loosen, or start to cut off your circulation in the hand, neither good of course, and can espcially suck if your in the middle of a fight and can do anything about it till the fights over, from what i hear. which is no suprise.

3.) they can loose there shape and become sterched out due to the elasticitly overtime, thought ive also heard the opposite of this and that they retain their shape better overtime due to the elatic comparied to regular cotton.

4.)They dont give your hand as much support since they do have more give/flex. and you shouldnt use them

Classic
    Pros: definelty work, and give you more support.
    Cons: mexican might be a little better.... might.
    there doesnt seem to be much a debate as to if classic work or not. Everyone aggress they work, its just a quesion of if the elasicised ones work better or not. If you ask me the regualr cotton ones have been around as long as people have been using hand wraps, and therefore must work well enough. Going withe the mexican ones you have a chance of them being a little better, but a much better chance of them not being as good.

So id say the safest bet overall with hand wraps is to just go with the reliable classic cotton 180" ones

if you decide you want to start wraping between your fingers, and therefore need 180" wraps, then this was the cheapest that i could currently find for 180" cotton/classic hand wraps. i actually bought two pair since i heard you should wash them regularly and its a good idea to have two pair.

including shipping i got them at about the same price as i paid for the crappy 108" ones at a store.

[Advert URL removed]

they also said in my conformation email after i bought them, that theyd send me a free shirt if i mentioned their site in a blog or forum, and show them proof in a reply email. dont know how common that is, but its a pretty nice deal if they do it. so well see if they do or not.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 6/11/2008 1:21pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 10:40am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by No
    Wrap between the figures or Not
    i dont know much about hand wraps or anything since i just started getting activily into martial arts stuff. I just bougth hand wraps recently. I had bought ones that were 108" because thats all that was available in my area, but when i went to put they clearly werent long enought to wrap my hand properly for full protection.

Like i said, i dont have experience with this stuff, but i know how to think logically, and if you using something to wrap your hands in to give them support and keep everything in place, youd want them to wrap up as much of your hand as you can, while still being able to move it comfortably. So it only makes sense that you should wrap between your fingers, not to mention around the knuckles and wrist more than 2x, and with the 108 size you cant do either, and i dont have big hands.

I figured for boxing since you have gloves on it might not matter as much since their under the gloves, but definitly without using gloves its going to give you the most support going between the figures, i would say if your not wearing gloves and using your hands alot you should definetly wrap between the fingers.
    it would make sense that its keeps the wraps in place better too as people had mentioned. and even if you are wearing gloves weather you need to wrap between the fingers or not, its still going to give you more support, so you might as well.

to me it makes the most sense to get the longest handwraps you can find and use the entire wrap to wrap you hands in order to protect them the best. thats why i ended up getting 180" wraps instead of the 108".

Classic/cotton Vs. Mexican/elasticized
    as far as classic/cotton Vs. mexican/elasticized
    ive head mixed things while reading around about this. but basically what i found was, the mexican style wraps are more popular these days, but that have a number of possible drawbacks.

Mexican
    Pros:
    1.) they conform to the hand better and are more comfortable
    2.) they "breath" better, so you hands dont weat as much

Cons:
    1.) you have to be extra carefull when wrapping your hand because its even eaiser to wrap them too tight, than it is with classic ones which is easy enough in itself.

2.) they tend to loosen or tighten as you punch (usually tighten) and therefore, either dont give your hand the support if they loosen, or start to cut off your circulation in the hand, neither good of course, and can espcially suck if your in the middle of a fight and can do anything about it till the fights over, from what i hear. which is no suprise.

3.) they can loose there shape and become sterched out due to the elasticitly overtime, thought ive also heard the opposite of this and that they retain their shape better overtime due to the elatic comparied to regular cotton.

4.)They dont give your hand as much support since they do have more give/flex. and you shouldnt use them

Classic
    Pros: definelty work, and give you more support.
    Cons: mexican might be a little better.... might.
    there doesnt seem to be much a debate as to if classic work or not. Everyone aggress they work, its just a quesion of if the elasicised ones work better or not. If you ask me the regualr cotton ones have been around as long as people have been using hand wraps, and therefore must work well enough. Going withe the mexican ones you have a chance of them being a little better, but a much better chance of them not being as good.

So id say the safest bet overall with hand wraps is to just go with the reliable classic cotton 180" ones

if you decide you want to start wraping between your fingers, and therefore need 180" wraps, then this was the cheapest that i could currently find for 180" cotton/classic hand wraps. i actually bought two pair since i heard you should wash them regularly and its a good idea to have two pair.

including shipping i got them at about the same price as i paid for the crappy 108" ones at a store.

[Advert URL removed]

they also said in my conformation email after i bought them, that theyd send me a free shirt if i mentioned their site in a blog or forum, and show them proof in a reply email. dont know how common that is, but its a pretty nice deal if they do it. so well see if they do or not.

You really are a fountain of misinformation. Out of everything you said only 1 thing held true and that's the 108 length wraps tend to be too small. Don't post in Strikestan for awhile.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 6/11/2008 1:22pm at .

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 11:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to love a post that long that starts out with "I don't know much.."

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 11:37am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    You have to love a post that long that starts out with "I don't know much.."
    You really have to love a long post that starts off "I don't know too much" and then talks like they do.

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 11:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 2:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh... I simply looked online on how to wrap my hands when I first started Muay Thai. Two sites told me to wrap fingers, so I wrapped between fingers. Their reason had to do with supporting your finger bones and hand bones with the wrist. The ones I still have are the Everlast brand I bought at a local Sports Authority store(Cotton from the feel). They're dirty black now even after I wash them.. and I've seen others wear a different type of hand wraps. They're not as soft as mine but they do not come off as easily when you grapple (I take my handwraps off if I'm rolling around with BJJ... unless I'm wearing MMA gloves over my hand wraps) and they look smaller after you finish wrapping.

By the way, get 180mm.

My bad. 180 inches.
    Last edited by Solitude; 6/11/2008 4:37pm at .

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitude
    By the way, get 180mm.
    180mm = 7.087 inches.

Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 5:37pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan