Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 8:52pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I've met quite a few Little Tykes in Judo PJ's (kid judokas I meet at Tournaments) who do very well and it's because the parents enroll them in their school's early Wrestling Programs (if they exist) so I also highly recommend Wrestling and Judo.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 9:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kittenbritches
    Ha ha!!! I bet I can guess who's better ;-) That's what I 'd like for my son (and daughter, but she's dances Flamenco) to start something with enough time to get good at it. It could be that young son will choose to continue taijutsu, which is fine with me although when I ask questions like "how is catching a sword in mid-air, or pretending like your fighting in antique japanese armour applicable, huh?" I get an irritated "Well, don't you think modern day warriors fight in heavy armour?" Well, of course they do, but that's not what I asked....

Anyway, Feryk, I appreciate your point about larping. You're right, but I'm happy to let him continue to larp away while at the same time learning some real, applicable skills. It's just FUN for him. For now, especially while he's still a little kid with a giant imagination. But--

I also very much appreciate your point about judo. As a single mommy, cheap but good is just the ticket. Does your son train judo? Did you let him experiment with a variety of MA? How do they handle full resistance with little ones in your dojjo?

Don't know if I'm too old to learn something new like judo, but I'm really strong and flexible (bikram and vinyasa). Haven't really given it serious consideration, but.....did you catch a lot of flak about being a new student at the, ahem, advanced age of 31? I guess what I wanna know is....did it hurt????

Thanks,
    Kittenbritches

A few points and the answers to your questions:

1.) LARPing is fun. Get your kid on a Judo mat for a couple of classes and it'll be MORE fun. Nothing feels better than tossing someone you KNOW didn't want to be tossed...

2.) My son does not train Judo. We started in Wado Kai Karate, so he learned standup early. He also sparred with moderate contact as a kid, and then was fighting adults by the time we left (he just turned 13). Since we've left, he's developed an interest in Wrestling, which he MUCH prefers to Karate. The wrestling club he's hooked up with is one of the best in the country, and if he's serious, he can win scholarships (he's pretty serious). Having said that, I've had exposure to Judo, and if I were to start him again at age 7 knowing what I know now, he'd start there.

3.) Full resistance is full resistance. Your kid will be doing randori with other kids. Hopefully he'll have some his size/skill level. In tournaments, it's organized by weight class, so he's not going to have to go up against a 200 lbs mutant 12 year old.

4.) Being strong and flexible is good, and you could probably handle Judo yourself just fine. Be prepared to suck for the first little while. If your knees are fine, you will have a distinct advantage over me. When I first started my training in Karate, I was amazed at how much my major muscle groups and joints hurt for the first couple of months. I refused to quit, and got to the point where taking anti-inflammatories after class was a regular thing. After about 4 months, my body got used to the conditioning, and the pain stopped. Even though it hurt, it was the most fun I'd had in decades.

5.) Did I get a lot of flak? No. The club I joined was very active in recruiting the parents to join, so a group of us joined together. We became very close, and today, I would list 7 of them as some of the best friends I've ever had. The new place I'm starting to train at has a lot of younger students, and they treat me with respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123