Posted On:
    8/29/2007 1:46pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's two Judo schools in your area.

http://sandiajudo.50megs.com/

http://www.nmjudo.com/

I started Judo in college 12 years ago when I was 19. I wish I had started as a kid. I've done some other arts since then, JJJ and Ke?po to learn more locks and some striking, but Judo is the one I love the most. It gives you immediate feedback when your techniques aren't right (like why a throw isn't working) and while it can be frustrating at times it is also very rewarding. When you can throw somebody who is resisting you at full-speed and follow it up with some solid mat-work you know you've accomplished something. As opposed to throwing punches and kicks in front of a mirror or doing self defense against a compliant partner.

Also with Judo, there are clubs practically everywhere. So if you move somewhere else, you will most likely still be able to keep practicing and keep progressing.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 1:51pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kittenbritches
    I live in New Mexico, not far from Albuquerque.
    Jackson's school is right up your alley, and it has a kids class twice a week

http://www.jacksons.tv/mma/facilities.php
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 2:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: stealthy observation

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks cuatro and macho for the tips. I will look into these places a bit more. Still curious about everyone's story...

Me, I'm very athletic, but not like you guys. I practice yoga and have for many years (no sneering or smirking, or I might be forced to tie you up in a knot ;-). I tried taijutsu as well, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Now, I'm afraid that I've gotten a bit long in the tooth to start something new (40).

Looking forward to hearing more. I enjoy engaging in 'stealthy observation' on this site because I love martial arts even though I have not been fortunate enough to devote my time to one or more of them.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in New Mexico, not far from Albuquerque.

A question for you guys--when did you begin to seriously practice the martial art you study? What age? How did you choose the one(s) you devote your time to?

Thanks,
    From the hubs ;-)
    I started seriously training at age 31. My kid started at 7. Guess which one of us is better?

I chose the one I devoted my time to because of the sensei. He was an amazing MAist, and a superb technician. After 6 years, I realized he was also a paranoid nutbar. I did, however, learn a lot from him. Now that I've left that organization, I've trained a few other places, and they are all ****. I have hope for a new place, but we shall see.

As far as advice goes, train something you can do with full resistance. LARPing is not productive. Judo is cheap, usually has decent instructors, and will give you or your kid something that is useful. It also forms a great base, and you can decide to add striking or groundfighting as you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 8:05pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Started karate at age 11, moved on to Judo at age... ****, I forget (About 4 years ago).

Anyhoo, I did karate because of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I do Judo because it's fun, it works, and the guys I currently roll with are a great group with a superb teacher.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 8:15pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha ha!!! I bet I can guess who's better ;-) That's what I 'd like for my son (and daughter, but she's dances Flamenco) to start something with enough time to get good at it. It could be that young son will choose to continue taijutsu, which is fine with me although when I ask questions like "how is catching a sword in mid-air, or pretending like your fighting in antique japanese armour applicable, huh?" I get an irritated "Well, don't you think modern day warriors fight in heavy armour?" Well, of course they do, but that's not what I asked....

Anyway, Feryk, I appreciate your point about larping. You're right, but I'm happy to let him continue to larp away while at the same time learning some real, applicable skills. It's just FUN for him. For now, especially while he's still a little kid with a giant imagination. But--

I also very much appreciate your point about judo. As a single mommy, cheap but good is just the ticket. Does your son train judo? Did you let him experiment with a variety of MA? How do they handle full resistance with little ones in your dojjo?

Don't know if I'm too old to learn something new like judo, but I'm really strong and flexible (bikram and vinyasa). Haven't really given it serious consideration, but.....did you catch a lot of flak about being a new student at the, ahem, advanced age of 31? I guess what I wanna know is....did it hurt????

Thanks,
    Kittenbritches

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 8:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey WWCheese, we love TMNT. Every saturday morning. It's a ritual. Michaelangelo ROCKS.

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 8:30pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey WWCheese, we love TMNT. Every saturday morning. It's a ritual. Michaelangelo ROCKS.
    Mickey's the prove strongest fighter of the bunch. How? Bettle Nexus. Leo is KO'd and Donny looses his match. Mickey and Raph duke it out and MICKEY WINS!!!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 8:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarCheese
    Mickey's the prove strongest fighter of the bunch. How? Bettle Nexus. Leo is KO'd and Donny looses his match. Mickey and Raph duke it out and MICKEY WINS!!!
    As it should be, and all remains right with the world, eh?

Gotta LOVE it!

We even got some plastic nunchakas to larp away during commercials...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast