Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 12:05am

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need help finding a MA school...

My mother is once again refusing to let me go to my Sanshou class. I don't like giving up hope though in trying to find practical martial arts that I enjoy, even though my mother always tries to get me out of it with underhanded methods.

I understand that she worries, but honestly, not being able to do what I love makes me sad. I also understand that looking completely beat up while working as a camp leader for forty children every week doesn't look good, but still. I really want to do martial arts again!

I've actually found a Martial Arts School already. However, the normal training doesn't begin until September. It's a traditional Chinese Martial Arts School that teaches Bajiquan, Piguazhang, Chen Style Tai Chi, Lie He Tang Lang, Baguazhang, and other styles. Apparently the teacher won't teach you unless you've got a good character, even if I pay extra >_>. After that, he looks over your basic training for a year before deciding what Martial Art you should do. In addition, it's not quite expensive... Also, you actually spar! I find that kind of odd, considering most schools do not do any sparring with it.

Anyways, I'd like to see if there's anything else I could try during my September wait. I've tried looking myself with limited results, so I thought if there were more people helping out, maybe I'd be able to find something better! One limitation though is that I don't like to do Wing Chun. I've already tried it -- I do not mix with it.

I've also done Sanshou, Taekwondo, some Fencing and Jujitsu.

I'm mainly looking for new things... stuff like Kyokushin Karate perhaps, or some interesting JMA places that allow good sparring.

I live in Canada, Scarborough, Ontario near a Rocket Train Station. I'm 17, 5"10, and currently 160 pounds -- aiming to bulk to 170 by the end of the summer.

Of course, I understand that the most important aspect of it is a good teacher

Finally, I understand that a good teacher is more important than an art of choice. That's why I'll try my best to look into things that you people recommend!

Thank you for your assistance!

Also, I'm not sure where to put this. If it's in the wrong place, could someone let me know? Yes, I've already posted this on the CMA board, but I'd like to get a range of opinions and suggestions if possible, not just limited to Chinese or Japanese or whatever.

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 7:08pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do Judo. We're cooler.

And if you already found a San shou place, why don't you just go back there? Why have to go to a new place that IMO seems a little fishy to me (I don't trust most internal schools no matter what Cullion might say).

Just google JUDO CANADA for the Canadian Judo Org (I don't know what that would be, I'm with the USJA) and they'll have a list of good schools that you can look up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 12:54am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're earning money as a camp leader or whatever your job is, then I'd say just pay for your own San Shou lessons. (or find a job that will earn you enough.) Exercise some financial independence from your mom. And at 17, you're almost an adult so eventually you'll be able to do what you want anyway. Besides, it's not like doing Kyokushin with bare knuckle, full contact sparring isn't going to freak your mom out any less. That's my 2.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 11:48pm

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It had something to do with the teacher's teaching style. They didn't like the teacher.

In the end though, my dad was right. >_> I personally don't want to go into details out of respect for my ex- teacher.

Let's just say they were right in stopping Sanshou at the school I was at.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 10:53am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you definitely want a semi/full contact sparring situation? Or do you just want padded or sparring or no sparring.

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 6:40pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** no sparring. Honestly. Do. Judo. (And this isn't just mindless nutriding now, it seems to be your best bet in your area at the moment.)

Actually, if your HS has a wrestling team I also HIGHLY recommend that. I always regretted never having a team in Ashland (my hometown) to join.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 8:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: stealthy observation

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My son began training at 6 years old. I know that's really young for anything serious, but I hope that by the time he's 15, 16, 17 he'll be ready to explore other martial arts. To be fair, there's not much available here where I live, mostly what you guys call McDojo's (tried one, left a bad taste in my mouth and a big hole in my pocket ;-). He is currently training in taijutsu. He has access to some world class instructors several times a year, which is nice, because the guy who owns the dojo and (ostensibly) does the teaching (when he wants to show up anyway--he's a very important guy I'm supposed to remember) isn't much. Fat, slow and full of himself. Major ninjer.

I don't have anything against ninja's, in fact I enjoy the LARP aspect of it because it's fun. Right now, my son doesn't really require much more. Soon though, that will be different. This thread is interesting to me because I have some of the same concerns your mom does, GallantKnight. I want Connor to be able to defend himself and anyone around him, but I don't want him to be brutalized. Are they mutually exclusive?

Also, I'd be interested to know more about some of the other styles that are available here where I live.

Thanks for your input everyone ;-)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 10:34am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where do you live? "The very hubs of hell" isn't on google maps. Then we can suggest other schools/styles for your 6 year old.

Heel Hook Hunter

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 11:06am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Jiu Jitsu | Knife

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We sorta need to know here you live, in order suggest places near you...

However, Judo and Jujutsu are pratical , fun and safe martial arts for kids.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 1:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: stealthy observation

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in New Mexico, not far from Albuquerque.

A question for you guys--when did you begin to seriously practice the martial art you study? What age? How did you choose the one(s) you devote your time to?

Thanks,
    From the hubs ;-)
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast