Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 11:59pm

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I need help trying to find a CMA school...

My mother is once again refusing to let me go to my Sanshou class. I don't like giving up hope though in trying to find practical martial arts that I enjoy, even though my mother always tries to get me out of it with underhanded methods.

I understand that she worries, but honestly, not being able to do what I love makes me sad. I also understand that looking completely beat up while working as a camp leader for forty children every week doesn't look good, but still. I really want to do martial arts again!

I've actually found a Martial Arts School (JiFeng Martial Arts Center @ www.bajimen.com) already. However, the normal training doesn't begin until September. It's a traditional Chinese Martial Arts School that teaches Bajiquan, Piguazhang, Chen Style Tai Chi, Lie He Tang Lang, Baguazhang, and other styles. Apparently the teacher won't teach you unless you've got a good character, even if I pay extra >_>. After that, he looks over your basic training for a year before deciding what Martial Art you should do. In addition, it's not quite expensive... Also, you actually spar! I find that kind of odd, considering most schools do not do any sparring with it.

Anyways, I'd like to see if there's anything else I could try during my September wait. I've tried looking myself with limited results, so I thought if there were more people helping out, maybe I'd be able to find something better! One limitation though is that I don't like to do Wing Chun. I've already tried it -- I do not mix with it.

I've also done Sanshou, Taekwondo, some Fencing and Jujitsu.

I'm mainly looking for new things... like interesting CMA places that allow sparring. I don't particularly like Muay Thai and BJJ (I have tried them, I've done alright, but eh my mother doesn't like it too much). I particularly enjoy looking at Bajiquan, but my searches have come up nearly fruitless, with only Chung Wah Kung Fu (which has a philsophy I don't really agree with) and JiFeng.

I live in Canada, Scarborough, Ontario near a Rocket Train Station. I'm 17, 5"10, and currently 160 pounds -- aiming to bulk to 170 by the end of the summer.

Of course, I understand that the most important aspect of it is a good teacher .

Finally, I understand that a good teacher is more important than an art of choice. That's why I'll try my best to look into things that you people recommend, as long as they aren't Wing Chun.

Thank you for your assistance!

Also, I'm not sure where to put this. If it's in the wrong place, could someone let me know?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 12:15am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Jifeng guys actually fight san shou from time to time. When I looked at the school, a couple of students were getting ready to go to China and compete.

September is not far off. I think you're better off concentrating on physical conditioning in the interim than finding another school. Especially if you're trying to put on weight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 12:59pm

Style: Baihequan, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow; the first newbie to the CMA forum I don't feel like pushing down a flight of stairs.

Welcome!

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 1:20pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I may be missing something, but how do I check out or contact this school?
    Don't know if I say anything about San Shou on there as well, where can I check that out?

gallantknight - Why CMA?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 1:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gallantknight
    I'm mainly looking for new things... like interesting CMA places that allow sparring. I don't particularly like Muay Thai and BJJ (I have tried them, I've done alright, but eh my mother doesn't like it too much). I particularly enjoy looking at Bajiquan, but my searches have come up nearly fruitless, with only Chung Wah Kung Fu (which has a philsophy I don't really agree with) and JiFeng.
    If your mother doesn't like Muay Thai and BJJ, will she be happy with a CMA place that spars hard ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 2:51pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, are doing this without headgear? I'd have your mom get you some extra protection- one of those headgears with the cage on it, etc. Maybe a chest protector, a heavy duty cup with kidney protection. How about judo? Mom's usually find that a lot more wholesome than the striking arts, and choking. Good luck!

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 2:58pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plus, judo's an Olympic sport, and most moms love the idea of the Olympics. I doubt your mom wants you to join the IFL.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 3:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait a minute. This guy is 17.

Are we being trolled ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 3:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you can't learn to handle your mother, then you have no hope in ever having a successful relationship with any woman.

stop letting her push you around, man!
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 5:36pm

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, she started crying and stuff -- and making your mother cry is never good. So, I fell for her method and said that I wouldn't go to that school any more. It was Sunny Tang Martial Arts School, btw, where I also learned Wing Chun and Wushu.

However, I realize now that my course of action was a flawed one. After all... crying isn't supposed to be able to fix problems. You've gotta take action, right? Crying helps let out your emotions, but it should never solve a problem... let alone make me stop doing something I love, no matter how hard or dangerous it may be. Unfortunately, I made a promise not to go to Sunny Tang anymore. So, I have to find another school.

Anyhow, it's not JUST my mother... my father didn't like my sifu too much. (He was an Egyptian Champion of Sanshou) And to tell you the truth, looking back upon his training in retrospect, we shouldn't be using ankle weights for active training. That's really bad. >_> I think there are better ways out there than messing up my joints.

Anyways... how do you contact the school? God, I was looking around on google for ages the other day. I finally located it at:

Culture Centre, Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Toronto
    888 Progress Ave., Scarborough, Ont.,M1H2X7, Canada
    Telephone: (416)439-8889 Fax: (416)439-4929
    Emergency Contact: (647)988-3963, (416)721-6939 .

Regarding the Sanshou, I didn't even know about that program. I was more interested in the Bajiquan, Piguazhang, and Six Harmony Mantis Styles.

As for why I want to do CMA... well, for one, my dad likes CMA a lot. For two, I'm looking a bit into JMA as well -- I also posted this topic on the JMA boards. Third, I'm chinese too... so call me biased, but I think doing a CMA helps me uphold my cultural upbringing and background since I already can't speak much cantonese. Fourthly, my parents are also strong believers of traditional chinese martial arts, which makes them more likely to support me even in sparring situations. Like I said in my first post, I didn't really like Muay Thai when I did it, and my mother didn't seem to support my BJJing... I didn't have the money to support myself at the time, so I stopped. I myself didn't really like the idea of BJJ either, though I definitely understand that it is a very effective, practical art. Finally, I don't feel like I've gotta immediately learn how to fight. I think CMA provides more longetivity as far as Martial Arts goes in many cases. I may be wrong though, since I am, after all, new around here.

Yes, I did wear stock headgear at Sanshou -- however, it kept falling off. I did tell my sifu, but he just kept putting it back on when it fell off. Says a bit about the sifu, I guess...

And Judo? I'll try looking into it... however, I've read about it before and apparently modern Judo is a very much watered-down version of the original art.

Thanks for all the constructive responses, everyone. Why would I be trolling though, if I'm a 17 year old? I respect my parents and I don't like seeing them cry. Does that constitute trolling or something due to my current age?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast