Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 4:27pm

Style: BJJ/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ichthus MA?

http://ichthusma.com/index.php?pr=About_Us

It's an MMA gym based with christian beliefs. I was wondering if this place was a mcdojo. And before you ask, no, it's not because of the christian belief system, since I am catholic anyway. I wonder if any of ya'll know if they are legit.

They say they teach Freestyle Jiu Jitsu. Their main instructor/trainer has a black belt in this style of Jiu Jitsu -

http://ballsmartialarts.tripod.com/

Btw I never heard of Kyuryukan Jiu-Jitsu.

Next they say they teach Muay Thai. They have no links to any Muay Thai gyms or kru's. I asked once about them competeing in Muay Thai, and they said that their trainer fought a couple of Muay Thai smokers. But I dont think that qualifies anyone to teach Muay Thai.

They compete in alot of submission wrestling and jiu jitsu where they have success. But no word on their MT. Also they've had 1 fighter compete in MMA and get beat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 5:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ttttt

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 5:39pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Ichthus" is the English transliteration of the Greek word IXOYE, which means fish. Its usually that fish tattoo that you see on the inside of a guys arm.

Have you contacted them with your questions?

There is a link to a youtube grappling video on there site.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 5:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    "Ichthus" is the English transliteration of the Greek word IXOYE, which means fish. Its usually that fish tattoo that you see on the inside of a guys arm.

Have you contacted them with your questions?

There is a link to a youtube grappling video on there site.
    Yes, but they werent very clear.

He told me about their JJ, and they obviously have some JJ skill. But I have never heard of their style. ( Kyuryukan Jiu-Jitsu )

But they werent at all clear on their MT. All I remember is that I was told that their main instructor fought in a couple MT smokers.

They is not qualification of MT. If some tkd or krotty practioner competes in a MT smoker, does that mean they are qualified to teach MT? No.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 5:55pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesnt sound like they are hiding anything though.

Google gave this result for the style:
    http://ballsmartialarts.tripod.com/

Kyuryukan Jiu-Jitsu is an eclectic (free style) martial art developed from Japanese and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Karate, Kick Boxing and other disciplines. It employs strikes, punches, kicks, throws, chokes, joint locks, restraints, and weaponry for self-defense and sport.

It is a complete martial art that encompasses all aspects of defense. Other systems specialize in only one or two. Karate, Kung-Fu, and Tae Kwon Do stress the punching and kicking range, while Jiu-Jitsu and Judo are grappling arts. It has been said that the ancient forms of martial arts were once complete systems, but they became fragmented because they were difficult to teach as a whole.
    And their site has a link to the Wikipedia article on McDojo and the advice to avoid those.

Go and check them out and give us a report, there are a lot of good eclectic clubs out there along with the bad ones.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 5:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont question their JJ, I just never heard of their style. Their JJ seems to be well rounded and is probably a very good JJ style, since alot of their guys place in JJ comps.

What's weird is their Muay Thai. I can't dig anything up on where their instructor (Stephen Dalton) studied Muay Thai. I hope their not just using generic kicks, knees, elbows, and calling it Muay Thai.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 9:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So still, I cant find anything on the net about their Muay Thai training.

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 9:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am the instructor for Ichthus Martial Arts. I have a black belt in kyuryukan jiujitsu and nihon Jiujitsu. My nihon rank came from a very respectable man by the name of Phillip Porter. I have tried to explain everything I can to this fellow, K Fighter or Chokeyououtagain, and I told him more than once to come and check the classes out if he didn't like what we taught then he didn't have to stay. I have no certifications in Muay Thai. I have told him that. No we are not some Tae Kwon Do school just jumping on the MMA bandwagon. I have been involved in MMA for some time now. One of my instructors is Robert "Bob" Stines. look him up. The reason we are new is that I just recently moved here from KY 2 1/2 yrs ago. I usually do not get riled up over things like this but I have offered this fellow a free class to come & check it out and he has not showed up yet. We at Ichthus Martial Arts do not try to hide anything if you want to see how we train then come by and watch a class.

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 10:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Classy post, sounds like a up and up school just judging by the instructors attitude.