Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 3:53pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Just 'cause you dont like it, doesnt make it BS.

There are other threads to discuss the combat effectiveness of an art, but there are a number of Capoeira guys cross training and doing fairly well in the Western Canadian MMA circuit that you should probably debate it with them.
    I beleive that. I can imagine that a practitioner of capoeira would be in good shape.

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 7:20am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained with a guy who did MMA and capoeira. Lot of acrobatic guard passes.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 12:46pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars
    I beleive that. I can imagine that a practitioner of capoeira would be in good shape.
    There are a few guys out there who are using Capoeira in MMA. A few from North America but there's also a guy from Brazil who does the flip kicks and what not in the cage. Looks goofy as all get out but he pulls it off.

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 3:47pm

Style: CLF, Capoeira, etc.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    I trained with a guy who did MMA and capoeira. Lot of acrobatic guard passes.
    Sounds interesting. Do you have any video?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 1:18am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That Vancouver school has an MMA class: http://www.axecapoeira.com/classes.php?placeID=1

I remember hearing that they had guys from Brazil teaching there who do "Morganti Ju-Jitsu," which is apparently some sort of grappling/karate hybrid style that's produced some good MMA fighters.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 3:13am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I tried to post this 5 times already, but looking up **** on Sherdog crashed my PC over and fucking over, **** Sherwood in his fat ass.

Anyway, my uncle used to go there, he said it was fun, but he was there for dancing/fitness. He also said one time some MMA guys from another local gym came down thinking they'd tool everybody but left black and blue. At the '01 Tiger Balm Internationals during the evening show (fights, demos, etc) I saw the top student (at the time, dunno if he's still there) Alex jump at least 15 (but I and others there at the time estimated 20, he went higher than the backboards on the basketball nets) feet in the air and do 2 full flips, from a running start, no trampoline, no tricks, it was the most amazing thing I ever saw another human do.

However, for MMA, I'd go to:

www.revolutionfightteam.com

Fight Finder

Pele is currently training there, so are...

Kalib Starnes

Kultar Gill

Tim Thurston, who I grappled with in my (and his) first ever grappling match at a tourney, in which he was dropped down into my weightclass (only 1 other guy in his class) and I was scared shitless, he looked like a monster to me at the time, he told me afterward that he felt pretty silly going into it (he was a professional athlete, boxer, I was lanky and a noob at everything)...I lost badly (by decision), he beat everyone in the division with ease

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 12:07am

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJR
    That Vancouver school has an MMA class: http://www.axecapoeira.com/classes.php?placeID=1

I remember hearing that they had guys from Brazil teaching there who do "Morganti Ju-Jitsu," which is apparently some sort of grappling/karate hybrid style that's produced some good MMA fighters.
    Morganti Ju-Jitsu has some really weird rules. I did the tournament in Richmond, it's Kyokushin when you're standing, the moment one person is grabbed it turns into a Judo match except with no points for throws, the goal is to submit. Despite that they stand the fight up really quickly. Interesting to do, but definitely bizarre.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12