Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 4:06pm

Style: TKD ITF, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chizilds
    I'm not going to continue in an art at $100/month with $70 belt testing fee's and then a 3-500$ black belt test... I know where I stand, and its above anyone at that school. I'm the "captain" of the "demo" team, and beat the pants off everyone when I spar. Then I go to Jitz and have my ass handed to me on a regular basis, as a white belt. I have martial experience, and it doesn't mean squat in there. SO I will continue Jitz and eliminate the diseased portion of my training. What does the black belt mean other than I would pay 3-500$ for it and a nifty WTF accreditation.
    edited
    Last edited by Blues-man; 7/23/2007 4:53pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 4:08pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    300 - 500$ I didn't realize that was that confusing....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 4:51pm

Style: TKD ITF, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    300 - 500$ I didn't realize that was that confusing....
    Hahaha. Sorry, my mistake :laughing7

But it still is very expensive... I didn't know that the WTF charged so much for 1st dan.
    Last edited by Blues-man; 7/23/2007 4:54pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 5:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They shouldn't charge anything if you ask me.... if you want to fly instructors in... fine by me. But I shouldn't have to pay for it. All I need is ONE instructor to say ya or nay on a black belt.... and a black belt costs maybe 5$? if you want fancy ass names on it another $30? 300-500$ give me a fucking break. I have yet to see one TKD school that wasnt a money pit Joke...

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 5:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was enrolled in it by my parents when i was 7. Didn't last, two years later I moved and didn't go back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 8:32am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They shouldn't charge anything if you ask me.... if you want to fly instructors in... fine by me. But I shouldn't have to pay for it. All I need is ONE instructor to say ya or nay on a black belt.... and a black belt costs maybe 5$? if you want fancy ass names on it another $30? 300-500$ give me a fucking break. I have yet to see one TKD school that wasnt a money pit Joke...
    $300-500 is definitely excessive - no doubt about that, but as for not charging anything?

What about the extra rent I have to pay for an extra night for testing? What about the fees that have to be submitted to the governing body? What about the belts that I need to order (and pay shipping for?) Testing fees cover these expenses (but I do agree that $70 for a color belt is way too high.)

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 8:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not going to continue in an art at $100/month with $70 belt testing fee's and then a 3-500$ black belt test... I know where I stand, and its above anyone at that school. I'm the "captain" of the "demo" team, and beat the pants off everyone when I spar. Then I go to Jitz and have my ass handed to me on a regular basis, as a white belt. I have martial experience, and it doesn't mean squat in there. SO I will continue Jitz and eliminate the diseased portion of my training. What does the black belt mean other than I would pay 3-500$ for it and a nifty WTF accreditation.

Again, I understand fully. I went through the same thing when I started BJJ. And that's a lot of money, no question. But it's not a surprise, is it? You knew how much it was going to cost when you got started, right? I just don't think money should be the reason to quit if you've pursued it this far.

And as far as the black belt you've almost earned not meaning anything, I think you're selling yourself short. Like I said, my background was in Karate. I got owned when I started BJJ, like everyone else. Does that mean my black belt is worthless? No.

A lot of the BJJ guys I know don't have a fucking clue about striking. If they're a purple belt in BJJ and I kick the crap out of them when we do standup, does that mean their purple belt is worthless? Of course not.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 11:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I finally calculated everything up I have spent over the past 2 years and I could have already bought my new Donner Bike.... There gets to a point where you realize that the "glory" of the art.... does NOT outweigh what you are getting out of it.... getting your ass beat by BJJ guys does, in a way, take away from the validity of Karate in my opinion... But I am in it for the fighting, not the faith.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 11:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I finally calculated everything up I have spent over the past 2 years and I could have already bought my new Donner Bike.... There gets to a point where you realize that the "glory" of the art.... does NOT outweigh what you are getting out of it.... getting your ass beat by BJJ guys does, in a way, take away from the validity of Karate in my opinion... But I am in it for the fighting, not the faith.

Oh, I am absolutely in it for the fighting. And I will never recommend Karate to anyone, and have actually spent quite a bit of time and effort trying to convince people of Karate's weaknesses. I'm not sure what you mean by the "glory of the art". I've never found much glory in martial arts training - traditional or otherwise.

So, I'm not trying to validate Karate. But I did get something out of it, despite all its weaknesses. I love BJJ, and I want to learn as much of it as I can. But BJJ is not a magic bullet for fighting. I know a lot of BJJ guys that don't have the heart for fighting. They've never been punched in the face. They're lacking in some crucial areas, just like many traditional martial artists are lacking in some crucial areas. Of course, that doesn't mean everyone. Cross-training is key, of course. And heart, as well.

My point is that you shouldn't have the attitude of "Well ****, I didn't learn to grapple, so I didn't learn anything. My weak TKD training left me helpless. I have to start over from scratch." That's a weak attitude, and if that's your attitude, you don't have the heart for fighting. You can train in whatever style you want, and you're not going to have it.

You can't compare your skills solely to pro fighters or BJJ black belts. From a practical self-defense standpoint, any man who is willing to fight is a threat. If you have the will to fight, you're more formidable than a lot of other people walking around. If you start from there, then any training you add is gravy.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 12:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WTF Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to agree with devil.....eventually you will realize that it will be a mistake if you hang it up right now being so close to getting you BB. You've trained all these years....through blood, sweat and tears...to quit while being one step away? All b/c you are getting beat in your BJJ class.

That's like playing football all your life and quiting before making the pro's b/c you couldn't out lift a weight lifter. It's 2 different realms. I'm sure if you get any of your BJJ partners to spar for 1 minute without taking it to the ground....your TKD will stand superior(if those people have no kind of MMA or cross training). You'd be able to keep them at bay with your kicks and they wouldn't be able to do anything b/c they aren't in their comforte zone i.e. the ground. I know b/c i have a cousin that is the belt above white in BJJ and we spar whenever he comes around. When we are doing stand-up....he can't touch me....but when we go to the ground....i'm meat.

I got into TKD for the sport aspect of it. I've played baseball for 20 years....and towards the end...i lost a passion for it....do i regret playing all those years? No. Do i wish it would've turned out better? Yes. But i will always be grateful for what i learned and will forever be able to use what i learned if needed.

You sound like you still have a passion to fight....otherwise you would quit MA all together....but don't abandon something you've been doing so long when your so close...but that's just my opinion....good luck in whatever you do....
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast