Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314 LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 6:21pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by romba_one
    I know of a few people that have trained there and I think I went to high school with some of the people on his "list of students". I've never been there, though most of the people I train with have gone in for open mat... at least that's what I've heard. Have fun. If you are on the East side you may want to check out 'Neutral Ground'. It is a newer school from what I understand, and I started there back in December. I like it, I think it is more expensive than Matamoros (I'm told) due to location.

Later
    i'll google neutral ground. matamoros is $80.00 per month. (as far as i know). but henry, i believe, is a good guy and a good instructor. yes, i am on the east side near lake michigan.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 10:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: just started grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by curveros
    i'll google neutral ground. matamoros is $80.00 per month. (as far as i know). but henry, i believe, is a good guy and a good instructor. yes, i am on the east side near lake michigan.
    If you are on the East Side at least stop in and try a class. Here's a link: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=132086793

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 4:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by romba_one
    If you are on the East Side at least stop in and try a class. Here's a link: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=132086793
    well, it seems that both Henry and Jon Friedland were students of Pedro Sauer. but, why pay more for the same lessons? also, when did Friedland get his black belt from Pedro Sauer? it must have been very recent, because i went to Pedro Sauer's website and the only black belt given out recently (in wisconsin) was to Henry Matamoros. but, Pedro Sauer's website doesn't mention any new promotions in 2007.

here is a link to Pedro Sauer's website:

http://www.pedrosauer.com/pedrosauer/main.asp

look on the upper right side of the screen to see most recent promotions. i don't know Jon Friedland or Pedro Sauer so i don't know when this promotion occured.

i'm going to stick with Henry Matamoros for my instructor. so i gues i'll find out more once i start to compete.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 5:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. I've heard a number of people at Neutral Ground talk highly of the Matamoros dojo.

Yes they are both Pedro Sauer students from what I know. And yes Jon was promoted some time in March, or April, . I was out sick when he was promoted. I have been told that Jon trained with the people at Matamoros; before Jon had his dojo, and some found their way over to Jon's school after they were done at Matamoros; for what ever reasons I'm not sure...maybe location, UWM classes ect.

If you are a student at UWM then you may wish to take the class for credit. A guy I know got 4 semesters of limited BJJ training out of it on top of the other stuff he was practicing. If you are a full time student then you can take the class for free and for up to 1 credit (from what I remember).

Have fun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 7:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey romba, i just got home from matamoro's dojo. i got the same story you just told me about jon and henry. they trained together. so jon and henry are the only 2 BB's in bjj in wisconsin. but, i'm sure that won't be for long. the guy i talked to tonight is a brown belt and pro fighter at matamoros. also, after 2 years of training at matamoros, you can get a discount at matamoros and duke roufus if you want to cross train in bjj, boxing and MT.

btw: what is the going rate at neutral ground for adults?

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 6:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kali,BJJ,Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is another moment of zen. When I was 17 I was 6'5 235lbs. I was into MT, boxing, and Kempo. I had wrestled a little in junior high. Anyhow, this buddy of mine 50 pounds lighter wrapped me up and took me down. From then on, I fell in love with grappling.

I was an exponent of BJJ, Judo, and wrestling long before UFC1. Circa 1 1989.

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 6:50pm

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackirish
    I was an exponent of BJJ, Judo, and wrestling long before UFC1. Circa 1 1989.
    I didn't think anyone outside of Brazil had heard of BJJ before UFC1.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 4:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by curveros
    hey romba, i just got home from matamoro's dojo. i got the same story you just told me about jon and henry. they trained together. so jon and henry are the only 2 BB's in bjj in wisconsin. but, i'm sure that won't be for long. the guy i talked to tonight is a brown belt and pro fighter at matamoros. also, after 2 years of training at matamoros, you can get a discount at matamoros and duke roufus if you want to cross train in bjj, boxing and MT.

btw: what is the going rate at neutral ground for adults?
    My guess is you talked to Schafer? I've never met or trained with him, but I have been told by former Matamoros people he was the guy that was/is a UFC fighter. I think he fought Bisping (spelling?) last. I think he took over at Duke's as the MMA instructor after Jon got his new dojo location and altered his schedule. I'm not totally sure about everything I'm telling you here, but it is what I remember being told. So I could be off on some of this.
    Anyway the consensus is that pretty much all the [top] people in Milwaukee who do MT, BJJ, MMA, and Judo, are good at what they do. Again this is what others tell me. I'm pretty much still starting out in "real" martial arts, so you may want to ask around and talk to people who know what's going on for sure.
    Neutral Ground charges $100 month to month, and the rates drop to $270 for 3 months prepaid, and get cheaper as you prepay for classes at the 6 and 9 month and year periods. I think they drop to $85 or $80 if you sign up for a year or pay a year in advance...they may even get cheaper at that point. I get the impression Jon will work other deals ocasionally, if you ask him. Afterall he is a very personable guy, poor white trash, but personable. :laughing7
    That said I just signed up for the Judo class they will be offering. I'm not sure what I'm getting into here, but people tell me the guy who will be teaching it is rather good. His name is Josh Reznick or something close to that. I'm a bit nervous about getting tossed in Judo, but public opinion at Neutral Ground and else where is this is a rare chance to learn from a good Judo player. Besides that, he is already pointed out some cool things when drilling techniques in BJJ.
    Later
    Have fun where ever you end up training, and if you drop by Neutral Ground I might just be there an a Monday through Thursday. I'm the fat guy with the ear protection.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 6:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey romba, yeah it was Eric Schafer that i spoke with. i had no idea that when he said he was a professional fighter that he meant a UFC fighter. lol. anyways, here is a link for the UFC stuff about him.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=fighter.detail&PID=476

and yes, he is also part of the staff at duke roufus gym too. i've trained at duke roufus when his gym was on the south side near lake michigan. i think i lasted 2 maybe 3 weeks. the workouts killed me.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 11:00am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After I passed my shodan in aikido I was practicing putting on my hakama correctly when my [ever-so-slightly-sarcastic] wife walked by and called me a "poofter"
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314 LastLast