Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 5:59pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Circuit:
    *Squats (heels weighted, knees behind the toes) or cable pull-unders (facing away from the cable -- at floor height), pull the rope attachment between your legs, taking care to keep your spine in a neutral position and to not hit yourself in the junk)
    *Push-ups or dumbbell chest press
    *Dumbbell rows or seated rows
    *Cable woodchops
    *Lunges
    *Overhead dumbbell press or lateral raises
    *Lat pulldown or pull-up (varying grips)
    *Weighted crunches

Week 1
    Whip through the circuit at a level of resistance one or two reps short of failure for 8-12 reps. Don't **** around; keep your eyes down and move from exercise to exercise.
    Fast walking for 10 minutes.
    What? No treadmill? Shadow boxing, burpees, anything. What? That's awkward in your dinky condo gym? Deal, join a real one or just grab another slice of cake, fatty.
    Repeat the circuit with slightly higher weight

Weeks 2-3
    Same as week 1, except alternating light, medium and hard intensities for 1-2 minutes each for the middle bit

Weeks 3-6
    Same as week 1, except alternating medium and hard intensities for 1-2 minutes each for the middle bit. You will also alternate between that and the following:
    perform jumping squats and clapping push-ups in place of the first two exercises. Your shoulder exercises will be replaced with thrusters. You'll lighten the load for the remainder and do them faster (up only).

If you stick with this for six weeks, PM me and I'll give you a real program.

You're welcome, fuckface.
    This fuckface will try this in conjunction with a good diet. Thank you.:notworthy

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 6:40pm

Style: Getting mounted

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wanted to mention that renegade rows are a great exercise because they recruit basically your entire body to stabilize. Along with your basic big lifts, it's stuff like renegade rows that you want to look at when you're lifting for weight loss, because they will lift your BMR and have you huffing and puffing a half hour after your workout.

Along the same lines, one of my favorite KB/DB exercises is the renegade manmaker. Basically, you start out holding your bells with relaxed arms at waist level, drop into a burpee with the bells acting like parallettes, do a pushup, renegade-row each arm, then clean and press the bells. That's one rep. I've never seen an out-of-shape person do 50 of these in five minutes.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 10:27am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, FWIW, I'm basically doing Repulsive's circuit, except modified to use the Free Motion machines. I would have preferred the dumbells but they are in a small area and folks sort of camp out on those benches like it is their social hour. So the machines are going to work better for doing the circuits without breaks, and getting in and out fast.

The only problem is it takes a little longer than I'd planned for. For warmup, I do a circuit at about 50% weight. And then I stretch at the end.

The circuit-cardio-circuit part only takes about 35 minutes.

So, if i keep the circuit-cardio-circuit part, what should I do for warmup and cool down/stretch to get me in and out quickly?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 11:55am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mate, machines suck. They take away so much from the core and synergist muscles for any given exercise. Kick them assholes off the benches.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 1:14pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spirez
    Mate, machines suck. They take away so much from the core and synergist muscles for any given exercise. Kick them assholes off the benches.
    Free Motion machines are actually pretty good -- they're the only kind I like. By using cables, they require stabilization in three dimensions and actually allow you to do some things that you can't with free weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Chameleon
    Well, FWIW, I'm basically doing Repulsive's circuit, except modified to use the Free Motion machines. I would have preferred the dumbells but they are in a small area and folks sort of camp out on those benches like it is their social hour. So the machines are going to work better for doing the circuits without breaks, and getting in and out fast.

The only problem is it takes a little longer than I'd planned for. For warmup, I do a circuit at about 50% weight. And then I stretch at the end.

The circuit-cardio-circuit part only takes about 35 minutes.

So, if i keep the circuit-cardio-circuit part, what should I do for warmup and cool down/stretch to get me in and out quickly?
    Take your joints through a quick range of motion; jog over to the gym or do some light cardio while you're there; do some dynamic stretches on your weak areas (hips and hamstrings usually top the list); do some light ab work and hit the weights. To cool down, sub dynamic stretches with static ones (or isometric stretches, if you know them) and quickly walk it out if you still have time.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 1:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something else to consider, though you've gotten some good advice already...

Though the general formula for leaning out with lifting is low weight - high rep, I've found that you can also lose body fat by lifting heavy. You may not burn quite as many calories in a workout, but muscle burns more calories at rest than fat. If you spend some time lifting heavy and pack on some muscle mass you may end up burning more calories overall.

Mostly, though, you will lose weight through changing your diet.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 1:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Though the general formula for leaning out with lifting is low weight - high rep, I've found that you can also lose body fat by lifting heavy.
    I do believe that is the general forumla for people who want to lose weight but got their advice from Jane Fonda.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 1:28pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The truth is that lifting weights can burn astonishing amounts of calories, but you've got to already be in excellent shape to be able to work at that type of pace and intensity.

Everyone here wants to skip to idealized versions of lifting schemes, but no one seems to pay any attention to the needs that beginners have for skill development and injury prevention.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 1:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do believe that is the general forumla for people who want to lose weight but got their advice from Jane Fonda.
    No, low weight - high rep is a pretty standard "leaning out" formula across the board.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 1:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    No, low weight - high rep is a pretty standard "leaning out" formula across the board.
    Nevermind what I said. It made me think of the people in the gym doing endless reps of whatever but you were probably more so talking about things like complexes.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast