Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 5:18am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The biggest influence on fat loss is your diet. Fat loss/eight loss is when your calorific expendature exceeds calorific intake. Its much easier to take in calories than it is to lose them. I noticed the biggest gains in both performance and asthetics from my lifting routuine when I started a clean strict diet.

Most of the routines that have been suggested to you are designed as more conditioning/cardio workouts than pure strength workouts. Given your time restraints this is probably the best way to go about things but these workouts arnt designed to increase strength. A strength training protocol will have much lower reps and much longer rest times and obviously these do not equal a high heart rate of high calorie expendature. If your goals include increased MA performance that it would be benefitial to split your workouts to conditioning and strength.

I would strongly suggest getting your hands on the book Infinite Intensity by Ross Enamit. It is an extremely well designed book with pages on pages of useful infomation.

www.rosstraining.com is his website

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 5:41am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just found a link of Frank Shamrock talking about diet and training. Might be worth a eatch:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgm...utrition_sport

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 6:48am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    Lose the Bench, the row and the squat (nothing against squats, just DLs give a better total body workout.)

Bench press is generally t3h gh3y, and muscles you'll work during the deadlift eliminate the need for t3h r0w.
    I'm not sure about losing rows.

My amateur homespun routine is sort of evolving out of stuff I read here, in Pavel Tsatouline books and tweaked for my lack of any kind of training partner who could act as a spotter or coach me on form (pistols instead of squats and very little benching, none of it heavy).

I started out focussing on deadlifts and standing press with dumbbells. After a few months I noticed that my anterior deltoids looked weirdly overdeveloped compared to the muscles on the back of the shoulder (posterior deltoids). I'm not worried about bodybuilding perfection, but I'm aware that muscle imbalances can lead to injury. Doing bent one-arm rows fixed that.

To try and make it more functional and 'whole body' I'm going to save up for heavier kettlebells and try doing 'renegade rows'.

Consider losing the lat pulls in exchange for the almighty pull up.
    Yeah, even if you're a fat boy like me who needs to use the assistance machine to get more than 3 reps out, you can still feel it's working a lot more muscles together than sitting down pulling a cable.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 9:08am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion

To try and make it more functional and 'whole body' I'm going to save up for heavier kettlebells and try doing 'renegade rows'.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0310.html

Booyah, adjustable kettlebells.

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 9:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Adjustable kettlebells could save people a lot of money, but that particular model doesn't look like it would be so suitable for renegade rows.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Dumbbells or flat-bottomed kettlebells for this because that model looks like I wouldn't be able to keep my balance when doing this :-

I <3 Sirc.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks pretty flat on the ground but I guess you wouldn't know unless you tried it or knew someone who did.

Yeah, dumbbells would probably suit that purpose better.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 1:35pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by A.D.D
    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0310.html

Booyah, adjustable kettlebells.
    ooooooooooooh, me likey.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 2:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by A.D.D
    Looks pretty flat on the ground but I guess you wouldn't know unless you tried it or knew someone who did.

Yeah, dumbbells would probably suit that purpose better.
    It's that cuff sticking out of the bottom I'm concerned about. It doesn't look wide enough to be a good base to balance on.

I <3 Sirc.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 4:08pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spirez
    Don't agree with much of this post tbh.
    Well then, you're my new enemy for life.

Anyhoo, with the Kettlebells - those handled ones could be used for maybe 40% of the excercises out there. Not bad if you're on a budget, but you could do better.
    Last edited by SFGOON; 7/22/2007 4:13pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    It's that cuff sticking out of the bottom I'm concerned about. It doesn't look wide enough to be a good base to balance on.
    I'm thinking if one could "retrofit" a pair of yoga blocks (cork or rubber-like stuff) so that one can insert the cuff in them. Don't know if that's practical, though.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast