Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 9:15pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lose the Bench, the row and the squat (nothing against squats, just DLs give a better total body workout.)

Bench press is generally t3h gh3y, and muscles you'll work during the deadlift eliminate the need for t3h r0w.

Consider losing the lat pulls in exchange for the almighty pull up.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 9:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Repulsive -

Thanks...I'm still a bit dense on a few things....

Why the 10 minutes of light cardio between the circuit sets?

Could you elaborate a bit on "alternating light, medium and hard intensities for 1-2 minutes each for the middle bit?" What would be the middle bit? Does this mean like go really hard on rows, easy on wood chops, medium on lunges, etc.? I'm not really sure what you mean here (or why you suggest this.)

In the final weeks you lighten the load, but do it faster. Is this for sport performance reasons like for more explosion?

Thanks!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 10:20pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    What ken said plus short rest periods, <1minute. Obviously, do an honest assessment of your diet too.
    Word!!!

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53351

-- EDIT --

****, I forgot. There is another long read that you may want to study at some point (the sooner the better):

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...te#post1423519

At the end of the day, your diet makes you or fucks... err... breaks you. It is imperative that you know how much calories you need to take a day to lose/keep/gain weight as you pursue a weight lifting program.

Too little calories and you'll lose lean muscle while accumulating body fat at best (or get sick like a dog at worse.) Too many calories, and you'll be packing both muscle and fat. You have to find that "sweet spot", an approximation of daily calories that will work for you.

As you tweak your diet and exercise plan, you may find yourself playing with those numbers. Once you get to that state of body composition that you like, then you have to calculate again how much to eat to retain your weight and lean muscle, and how much to add more muscle to your existing frame.

It can be tedious, but it can also be quite fun. Have a read at it... like now. Go... go... I mean go. Read it bitch!!! :new_cussi
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 7/20/2007 10:57pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 11:43pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been reading the Precision Nutrition forums, and stuff about the abs diet. I think I get the good foods part, and I'm implementing a 6 meal a day type of thing with good foods. And I'm getting into counting calories. I'm going to try for 2000 calories/day. I'm 6-2 and just shy of 210. I haven't measured, but suspect I'm over 20% body fat and want to get under 15. I'm in my mid 30s.

I was a beanpole until mid 20s, and then bloomed out, and a trainer told me I'm a megamanmorph body type...Don't remember what it is really called - but you get it - the bigger type that packs on muscle easier.

I was very reluctant to do weight training because I'd rather hit the heavy bag, or roll or something else more. But the more I think about it from a weight loss perspective, it just seems like a waste to worry about calorie cutting without lifting - especially with my body type....Moreover, I've enjoyed lifting when I've done it in the past, although it has been a long while.

I drink lots of good beer, and if I'm going to cut back on that, I want maximum results from the effort....And I don't think I'm going to get that without building more muscle.

Hopefully, at 2000 calories/day and with lifting, I can get below 15% body fat in a couple months.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2007 3:16am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleon
    Repulsive -

Thanks...I'm still a bit dense on a few things....

Why the 10 minutes of light cardio between the circuit sets?

Could you elaborate a bit on "alternating light, medium and hard intensities for 1-2 minutes each for the middle bit?" What would be the middle bit? Does this mean like go really hard on rows, easy on wood chops, medium on lunges, etc.? I'm not really sure what you mean here (or why you suggest this.)

In the final weeks you lighten the load, but do it faster. Is this for sport performance reasons like for more explosion?

Thanks!
    The "light" cardio is just for starters. It's better that you don't have a heart attack during the first two weeks. When I mention varying intensities (for the middle bit), it's in in the context of the cardio portion, not the weights (details were provided elsewhere). Please bear in mind that I know nothing about your physical condition, exercise history, previous injuries, yada yada yada. This is a generic program. However, assuming that all is mostly well with you, what it is designed to do is keep your heart rate up, keep you burning calories and help develop connective tissue/tendon strength, postural strength and proprioception for more serious lifts down the road. What people are neglecting to tell you is that the Big 3 actually take some preparation and practice. It's not worth the risk of injury when, at this stage, you can make substantial progress doing just about anything.

As far as the explosive exercises go . . . Yes, they will increase your power. However, my main priority in assigning them is not for power, but for the sheer amount of energy they require, as well as to help prevent over training-related issues. Capice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2007 3:28am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    Lose the Bench, the row and the squat (nothing against squats, just DLs give a better total body workout.)

Bench press is generally t3h gh3y, and muscles you'll work during the deadlift eliminate the need for t3h r0w.

Consider losing the lat pulls in exchange for the almighty pull up.
    Don't agree with much of this post tbh.

Would never ditch squats in place of deadlifts, both should be used as they are both full body exercises. However squats are more quad dominant and deads are more hamstring dominant.

Nothing wrong with bench press, be it dumbell or barbell as you need to promote balance throughout the muscles of the body and this is without doubt one of the best chest exercises.

And deadlift doesn't focus on the lats anywhere near as much as a bent-over row in my experience.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ntOverRow.html

By the way, for fat loss you want to look into a protocol called Peripheral Heart Action:

http://www.realbuzz.com/en-gb/What_i...dex?pageID=128

This stuff is great and a real killer on the cardio. Works on the principle of doing an upperbody exercise, immediately followed by a lower body exercise, then upper, then lower, then finish with intense cardio. Repeat that x 3. The heart has to work overtime to pump blood from lower to upper body (vascular shunt) and a great workout can be achieved in minimal time.

An example routine would be:

Bench press
    Squats
    Pull-ups
    Deadlifts
    3-5 minutes on rower or treadmill as intense as you can make it. Skipping or running can be used if not in a gym environment.

Perform all of the weighted exercises with 12 reps at around 60-70% of your 1 rep max. There is no rest between each exercise but you can rest after the cardio component if needed.

Repeat this 2-5 times depending on level of fitness and i guarantee you will see the weight pile off!

I'd try to do it at least twice per week, and if possible supplement with a regular lifting routine too
    Last edited by spirez; 7/21/2007 3:39am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2007 12:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys...

Repulsive - I like that most of your suggestions can be done with dumbbells. They have dumbbells and benches - just no big weight plate stuff. Moreover, I might not have access to this gym for much longer, so I may look towards setting up a home gym. Seems like a set of dumbbells, a bench and maybe a pullup bar could go a long way?

One more thing - I'm not clear on how to do the squats. The Free Motion machine seems pretty good and safe and forces safe form. But I wonder if I should do dumbbell front squats like the girl with kettlebells in the sticky link demonstrates? Or should I do squats some different way?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2007 12:15pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If memory serves, the Free Motion machine is essentially a hack squat machine. It's a lot better than the Smith Machine -- I just wouldn't do it exclusively.

You can do your front squats like the kettlebell girl does, or with dumbbells mounted on your shoulders, which you'll do -- in part -- for your thrusters anyway.

For most people, starting with a box squat variation is easiest. Find something that allows you to sit down with your thighs parallel to the ground and place it a few inches behind you, so that you're forced to sit backwards (the knees essentially remain fixed in space). If you're dropping at all, though, it's just too heavy.

You may even have to start with wall squats, just to develop the gluteal strength to get up from the requisite height. Read up where you can on squat form, since it's an essential lift, but one that will **** you up if you do it wrong.

Genius

Posted On:
    7/21/2007 12:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleon
    What about a circuit like:

squat
    bench
    row
    deadlift
    shoulder press
    lat
    ab crunch
    I wouldn't consider ab crunch part of weight training, do it every workout, including before or after martial arts training.

Of the rest, I'd pick 4 of the six and alternate exercises. My point is to get into the gym, workout enough to stimulate the muscles and get out within 20 or 30 minutes. Weightloss will come from the growth of the muscle and the elevated metabolism. However, diet is the biggest factor to lose weight. When I was bodybuilding, my workouts were similar to this and stayed pretty much the same, whether I was building mass or losing fat. The intensity just changes as well as the diet.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Posted On:
    7/21/2007 3:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Might want to change the thread title. Anything that adds to your muscle mass may well add to your weight. As every one knows, muscle has three times the weight of the same volume of fat. Y'know: that whole who-sinks-and-who-floats thang...
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast