Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 8:27am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The other school is a “Kung Fu and Kickboxing" place, where for 190 CDN for 3 months, you have unlimited access to whatever the **** you want to do. Therefore, I could go everyday, and train in Boxing, then Kickboxing, and San Da. In addition, there are special times for sparring and work out etc. They have a nicer gym, cleaner, better equipped, (more pads, bags, rings, weights, room etc.)

It's really not a good idea for you to start training in Sanda, boxing and kickboxing all at the same time. You're learning too many different and often conflicting things all at once.

For e.g. in boxing you'll be asked to bob and weave. In muay thai, you'll be asked not to do that as you could get setup and then get your head pulled down and kneed.

In kickboxing, kicking the legs might not be legal so you do a lot of long range attacks and then try to get out of the way, which forms bad habits. In Sanda, you have to adopt a totally different strategy and stance.

From a purely standup fighting point of view (if you exclude throws) I feel the muay thai system is superior. If you want to takedown and throw, then go train MMA.

This is what I would do if I were you, if the muay thai coach is good (how does his students do in competition?) go there and get the basics first. Takes 1-2 years to be competent if your teacher is good and you train regularly.

Then go learn sanda and learn how to counter side kicks and learn their throws, and evolve your stances etc. to your own style. Or you can just make friends with some senior students there and then trade tips and have friendly sparring sessions to share information and learn from each other.

Finally take boxing to refine your hand skills and punch evasion.

The kickboxing is not “Full contact karate" esque.
    Is that supposed to be good or bad? When you say full contact karate-esque I think Kyokushin, and that's good. So you're saying their kickboxing sucks?

It is indeed a more water-downed version of Muay Thai. I also noticed some people using elbows on bags, and knees.
    If you want to learn how to do elbows and knees properly, go to a muay thai school. Even the crappier RBSD folks train elbows and knees.

This might be San Da fighters? How different is San Da to Muay Thai besides the takedown element?
    Sanda fighters stand in a sideways facing stance. Side kicks are their forte. No elbows. Limited clinch fighting.

In addition, this place is closer and more convenient to go to.
    According to your criteria (being a fighter, spar and fight) you should choose the school that produces better competitors.

Something you should take note of. If these 2 schools send fighters to compete and they fight each other, it may be politically incorrect of you to switch schools half way (at least it is where I'm from). Just something you might want to consider.

So take your time to think it through, and choose carefully. It might be hard to switch once you start.

A lot of the Muay Thai people fight, and this is true in the other school, but in San Da and boxing.
    Whether they fight is only part of the equation. The second question is, how well do they do in competition? The results of the students tell a lot about the teacher. Like, does he send students who're not ready to fight?

Take note also of how many fighters are sent from each gym, and how many come up on top. Some gyms send a busload of competitors, winning then becomes meaningless because they have so many fighters and they go hard on people from other gyms but take it easy between themselves.

If the teacher has a good fight record, good. But it doesn't mean he'll automatically become a good teacher. The results of his students is the best measure.

You didn't mention the culture of the gym or the personality of the instructor and students, but I've found that these are major things I would consider when picking a gym.

The main coach there said they compete in almost every type of full contact fighting, because they are so varied.

Trust, but verify.

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 9:48pm

supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate

Sanda fighters stand in a sideways facing stance.
    No not true at all, sanda doesnt have anything close to a sideways stance. in fact thats a major no-no in sanda because you'd get eaten alive by leg kicks and taken down at will.
    If you saw someone fight sanda like that it was probably someone from a differnet style trying to fight sanda rules, or a tae kwon do guy or something.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 9:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear that sanda fighters do sticky hands and have outtie belly buttons
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 10:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    I hear that sanda fighters do sticky hands and have outtie belly buttons
    No no, we have spastic hands and sticky belly buttons, lets get that straight.
    Bah, we're just so misunderstood... :-/

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 10:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    momentary thread derail: Is your wife still fighting? If she's ever looking for a match around 120-125 shoot me a message as that's my current fight weight :)
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 11:04pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter
    No not true at all, sanda doesnt have anything close to a sideways stance. in fact thats a major no-no in sanda because you'd get eaten alive by leg kicks and taken down at will.
    If you saw someone fight sanda like that it was probably someone from a differnet style trying to fight sanda rules, or a tae kwon do guy or something.
    You should know better of course, but it does look pretty side facing sometimes.

King of Sanda, Liu Hailong's fight video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZYTU_iRok0

His feet seem to line up in a straight line, especially when he wants to side kick.

Do you have different stances you use for different situations?

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 11:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    she may be fighting next month at cung le's born-to-fight event in san jose. we're sending a few fighters out to compete in that. tara was planning to go just to help marvin corner but now she figures she might as well fight if she's going out there , but she hasnt fought since last year. she's gonna train for it and see if she's ready in time. since its tournament style she doenst have to worry about bailing on a match up, so she's just gonna see how it goes.

we're both too busy to compete much right now but would like to. maybe we could hook up a match between you too late summer or this fall. i'll run it by her and get a feel for whether she thinks she could do it or not. the real challenge is trying to carve out some training time with work, the baby, etc etc.

are you still staying active and fighting lately?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 11:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter
    she may be fighting next month at cung le's born-to-fight event in san jose. we're sending a few fighters out to compete in that. tara was planning to go just to help marvin corner but now she figures she might as well fight if she's going out there , but she hasnt fought since last year. she's gonna train for it and see if she's ready in time. since its tournament style she doenst have to worry about bailing on a match up, so she's just gonna see how it goes.

we're both too busy to compete much right now but would like to. maybe we could hook up a match between you too late summer or this fall. i'll run it by her and get a feel for whether she thinks she could do it or not. the real challenge is trying to carve out some training time with work, the baby, etc etc.

are you still staying active and fighting lately?
    Yeah it's gotta be tough keeping a regular training schedule with a baby. Speaking of the baby, I wanna see some pictures of the cuteness. You had like the cutest baby ever, I'm curious to see how she's come along in the last year :)

I'm still fairly active. I had my two fights at the beginning of the year and then I fought two more matches in the TBA tournament last month. I've also got a fight here in Atlanta coming up late August and one of the trainers at Knuckle Up wants to take me to Florida for something (possibly some IKF or WAKO tournament, not really sure) and people are trying to set me up with fights all the time.

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 12:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should know better of course, but it does look pretty side facing sometimes.

King of Sanda, Liu Hailong's fight video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZYTU_iRok0

His feet seem to line up in a straight line, especially when he wants to side kick.
    If you were to take our school's basic fighting stance it looks pretty much like that but generally the rear foot is to the side just a bit more and more on the ball of the foot, but in the midst of fight things arent always text-book and everyone is a bit differnet. And hey, this guy is one of the best, so yeh I can't argue with that example. I wouldnt call that a sideways stance though, but yeah its not as square as a traditional MT stance. Compared to arts that I would consider 'fighting sideways' such as TKD, JKD, Americal Full-Contact, we are much more forward, but yeah that clip is a good direct comparision that illustrates that Sanda is a bit more sideways than MT. We try to throw a sidekick w/o adjusting sideways before hand or telegraphing at all, and pull it right back to a relatively forward stance. Although sometimes once you've committed to throwing it and then change up on the timing or double up or pump the kick then yeah you are sideways for a bit. To bring it back around forward quick we use the chambered knees momemtum and hips to transition; the trick is to not get caught sideways during those moments.
    Do you have different stances you use for different situations?
    Basic stance is fairly straight-forward but there are a lot of subtle transitions in the feet, legs and hips to set up or throw differnt techniques. where you would see a real differnce in stances is in clich range and for throws.

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 12:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *post deleted to save some whiney pussys from having to go off topic*
    Last edited by Arbiter; 7/31/2007 10:59am at .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast