Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 2:07pm

Style: San Shou, Kickboxing MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Torn between Muay Thai and San Da, Boxing, Kickboxing

My situation is as follows. I am torn between two different schools, and which I should train at.

The first one is a Muay Thai school, which I could go to 2 times a week for an hour, or hour and a half lessons. It costs
    135-160 CDN for 3 months. They also have weights. They train elbows, but because it is hardly used in competitions, it is not a priority.

The other school is a “Kung Fu and Kickboxing" place, where for 190 CDN for 3 months, you have unlimited access to whatever the **** you want to do. Therefore, I could go everyday, and train in Boxing, then Kickboxing, and San Da. In addition, there are special times for sparring and work out etc. They have a nicer gym, cleaner, better equipped, (more pads, bags, rings, weights, room etc.)

The way they teach the kick I found interesting, you raise the knee and they snap the kick out, but when they ask you to go it on a bag, it comes out more as a swinging kick, but that might just be the speed makes it look that way. The contact point for the kick is the shin. Low kicks in this school are a very important part of training. The kickboxing is not “Full contact karate" esque.

It is indeed a more water-downed version of Muay Thai. I also noticed some people using elbows on bags, and knees. This might be San Da fighters? How different is San Da to Muay Thai besides the takedown element?

In addition, this place is closer and more convenient to go to.

So which do you think is more beneficial for me? I want to be a fighter, and I like to spar and fight. Both schools offer this. A lot of the Muay Thai people fight, and this is true in the other school, but in San Da and boxing. The main coach there said they compete in almost every type of full contact fighting, because they are so varied.

Thanks in Advance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 2:12pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the sounds of it, I'd go with the Kung Fu school. Don't let yourself get all caught up in the "SanDa is watered down MuayThai" argument. Who really cares? You're going to be learning the skills you want for the ring, and SanDa and MuayThai fighters regularly cross-train and cross-compete.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 2:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    take trial classes and see which place you like more.

instructor and environment is more important than style.

or to put it another way: a good sanda gym is better than a bad muay thai one, and vice versa.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From your description the Sanda school looks the most appealing. If you are truly interested in competing, I'd check the the records of the fighters not the coach. And make sure the fighters are in the class you're training in not just as coaches but as training partners.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 3:25pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Takes trials at both. Pick the one with people that you like and a convenient location. Location will be the first thing that gives you an excuse to skip a practice and people you like will be the best thing to get you to go back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 3:47pm

Style: San Shou, Kickboxing MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies, I already went to both schools and indeed the San Da School applies to me more. There is more room, I can work on my boxing and kickboxing, and takedowns, separately, and together, which can make me a better fighter.

A lot of the Muay Thai guys fight, and they have a lot of trophies, as does one of the coaches, the Muay Thai coaches are generally older and do not compete except one or two.

The San Da on the other hand, many of the people competes and come often. Some people are there for recreation many others are not. In addition, the coaches fight and have good records as well.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 4:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    go to the school that has the least restrictive contract or the one that's cheaper if they have identical contracts. The sanda school sounds more worth the money, though.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I the only one who thinks the fighters they put out is one of the most important things?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would concur with the second place sounding better, mostly because, despite not actually practicing San Da I'm a sicophant San Da nutrider. I guess I have a soft spot in my heart for leg catches and suplexes.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 5:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be careful with that Sanda though. I've heard that some of those places use it lure young impressionable people into TCMA.

It starts out alright. Y'know, padwork, some callisthenics. Light sparring.

Then you'll be asking some of the old hands how they manage to hit so hard. There'll be no mention of 'qi' or 'jow' at this point. Just a few plausible-sounding explanations about biomechanics and 'pushing off the ground'. They might show you a couple of unorthodox looking drills to help you 'get' it. At the back of your mind you might think 'hmm, boxers don't do this', but then you'll remember that the guy who showed it to you really can own you when you spar hard, and the doubt will fade.

If this happens. PM me. Once you reach this point you're only one step from, horse stance, kung fu forms and <shudders> breathing exercises

You've been warned.
    We're here for you.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast