Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 10:01am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Parry above the waist kicks or not?

When I studied Enshin (Low kicks + No face punches) we were taught to parry straight kicks. Now that I'm at a gym that competes in American kickboxing (no leg kicks + head punches), I was told not to parry straight kicks.

I know there aren't too many hard and fast rules when it comes to fighting, but what's the general consensus on parrying?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 4:28pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I parry if I have a counter I want to use. For examplem: If you sweep a Teep to the outside and counter with a leg kick. You can see many simular answers on the getting past the side kick thread.

Most times I will admit that I just power through or "roll" with straight kicks.

Now about training. If you are at a gym that does not do leg kicks, find another one.

:)

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 4:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for real, do leg kicks...toughen your shins, and learn to punish the thighs of your opponent...there's no substitute...otherwise, it's barely kickboxing.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually.I understand what he means a lot.It's tougher to push the straight kicks out of the way with gloves on isn't it ojgsxr6 ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 5:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CanucKyokushin
    Actually.I understand what he means a lot.It's tougher to push the straight kicks out of the way with gloves on isn't it ojgsxr6 ?
    I have never really had a problem with it, but every one is different.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 5:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyph
    Now about training. If you are at a gym that does not do leg kicks, find another one.
    I'm going to check out a couple this week.

As for whether it's easier or harder to parry with gloves, well it hurts less with gloves. The actual problem is that there is less that you can do after you parry the kick, and more of a threat if you get faked. In Enshin if a parry a kick I can easily kick the supporting leg or throw the guy, if I get faked I'm not going to popped in the head. In American kickboxing, if I parry the kick kick,I may be able to go over the top, but they button up pretty tight when they throw the kicks, so I feel like I'm limited in my counters. Now if I get faked then I can easily eat a punch in the head.

I was just wondering what most of the people here did, or thought.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 5:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    I'm going to check out a couple this week.

As for whether it's easier or harder to parry with gloves, well it hurts less with gloves. The actual problem is that there is less that you can do after you parry the kick, and more of a threat if you get faked. In Enshin if a parry a kick I can easily kick the supporting leg or throw the guy, if I get faked I'm not going to popped in the head. In American kickboxing, if I parry the kick kick,I may be able to go over the top, but they button up pretty tight when they throw the kicks, so I feel like I'm limited in my counters. Now if I get faked then I can easily eat a punch in the head.

I was just wondering what most of the people here did, or thought.
    All of that is why leg kicks are so good. I tend to "scoop" the same with gloves as I do with out them. The brand may make a differance too. I like the gloves by Twins, but they are expensive as hell compared to everlast here in the states.

I hate American Kickboxing. I think it is a waste, and thank good the rules set is going the way of the dodo. This I hope will get peopel to train in more effective KB techniques.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 5:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately, there are very few low kick kickboxing school on Long Island. The ones that are around are closer to the city, which is about an hour away on a good day, plus the schedules are horrible for me, which usually pit me against traffic, making it over an hour. I'm checking out a gym that some of the guys here go to, it's mainly a BJJ school, but the have a guy who teaches MT twice a week so I thought I'd check it out. My main whine fest can be found here:
    Call the Wambulance

:)

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 8:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought you might be kidding about American Kickboxing. Really no leg kicks? That's retarded, that's only one or two moves away from boxing.

:sign13: that's horrible....evacuate the school immediately...if you spar a kickboxer kickboxer, and not a "like student" the first good shot you take in the thigh or shin will be a nasty wakeup if you aren't training for it. The Thai boxing classes sound good...perfect for leg kicking experience.

I block the area, not the strike...in the thick of things, when guys are changing mid-course from move to move, and follow through isn't a certainty, it's too risky. I don't try to catch kicks, I shin check mostly, and counter kick, or punch into kicks....left body hook, right low round is my favorite. for guys who get too jumpy, or fancy...I'll bust that out...and both shots hurt too. No feints in that...all the body weight. If you guard the area, your set...if you try to catch the low round....I bring up the knee...wait a brief moment..and kick you in the jaw....dang-a-da-dang-a-da-dang.........guard the area. (if you lean over too much to do something fancy with the hook...the kick goes to the back/ribs on the right side...away from the hook.

Lately I'm becoming that guy who'll kick you in the legs, just to make you drop your hand, so I can turn the hip over at a steeper angle, and kick you in the jaw. Anything too fancy, or specialized can be exploited by someone like me, who gets by on sneaky.

I like guys who drop their hands to catch my sidekicks, then I can twitch the leg, and jab the nose when the arms come down....:laughing7
    Better to block the area, and try using footwork to dodge...so if you do get clipped, it wont ruin your whole ****. :eusa_naug
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 7/19/2007 4:02pm at .

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 8:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mostly I think I block with stuff like both elbows a high roundhouse or try to jam (or move back) a teep with elbows and knees. But I really like parry/trap kicks like front/teep with circular block down inside and then come up on the outside and grab the knee with his foot caught against my shoulder, then flip city. Now that sounds real clear.

I kick little wrestlers a lot who like to parry me off balance or grab and sweep.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast