Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/21/2007 2:18am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll answer in abundance as soon as you tell me what your instructor said when you asked him these very same questions.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/21/2007 9:23am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He did, he said the instructor dodged the question, ie gave him no answer.

Posted On:
    7/21/2007 12:22pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw that, but it does not compute.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/21/2007 7:23pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He said all in good time, how does that not compute? He didn't give me a straight answer so I asked here.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/21/2007 9:34pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm guessing Ignatz is a total noob who should be worrying about his other fundamentals more than finishing his Subs right now, so his coach is telling him to work on other ****.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/21/2007 11:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been training seven months, averaging 6 hours a week. I would hardly consider myself a "total noob" but obviously this is not a place one should ask for advice. Funny as this is labeled the "Newbie and Misc. Technique Discussion" sub-forum.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 12:14am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your questions are too general to respond to properly, especially your second one concerning the RNC. It's equivalent to someone asking, "Physics is hard, can you explain it to me?"

Same thing regarding the N-S question, your best options for an escape or reversal depend on a ton of factors. How much pressure is he generating? Where are his arms in regards to yours? Overhooking or underhooking? You simply don't provide enough details to answer your own questions.

The person most qualified to answer is your instructor because he can actually observe you while you roll. Maybe he feels you should be working on your basics as was previously mentioned. Maybe he was in a bad mood that day. We don't know, but short of posting a video of you sparring or you writing a detailed description of your position, your best bet is to search for books or instructional vids on the web that reference these techniques and their proper execution.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 12:16am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and anyone training for less than a year is in fact a total noob.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 3:42am

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Contrary to what the Gracie family would like everyone to believe, there is no time limit on belts, merely a skill limit. If you have the skills of a blue belt in 1 year, you should be a blue belt. And it happens. And that's how it is.

Now, while it's true that no one here can critique your ability and your instructor is the best source of information, he should have given you an answer to the RNC. If you're getting the back position in free rolls, then it's obvious you have the "position before submission" mantra firmly engrossed and now you should be working on subs. Cross-face, cross-face, cross-face.

Gable grips, cross-face, switch arms until you sink it, then slide free arm into the slot. Do not let free arm straighten out and fold choking arm into elbow. This invites the opponent to grab the free arm and pull it down, thus keeping you from locking it in. Instead, once you have the choking arm set, with gable grip along shoulder to apply downward pressure, roll free hand over to bottom and slide or work your choking arm's hand up into the elbow crease as you slide the free hand into neck. It's complex to write out, but easy to learn if you see it on vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=176SLdBhj_A

Starting at 2, about 2:34 into video, is Gable grip at shoulder and then technique into choke. Kesting has great tutorials too, if you're insterested in no-gi applications of BJJ.

As for guillotine, since it's a position that has so many options, it's tough to really pound out a technique tweak, other than to say that the blade of the forearm is the best choking apparatus and you should make sure the blade is always positioned at the neck, rather than your meaty forearm which doesn't hurt as much. Pulling through the neck with back arch and hip flex usually finishes the technique, but the safest position is wrapping the opponent into guard with locked legs, where you can use the hips to push the body away as you draw the neck upwards, like a cervical lock.

As for N-S position, with a gi on, it's a dangerous spot to sit at and I'd imagine that any instructor worth his while would make it a point to train the most efficient techniques to get out of the spot. Without a gi, it's just a variation of side mount that is easy to defend and, possibly, easier to get out of than scarf or a good side mount. If you give up your back and feel comfortable there, do that until your instructors bothers to train you otherwise. But since I train no-gi, I won't even hazard a response to help you as I really don't know how to handle all the various little lapel chokes and other crappling that BJJ devolves into with the supple gi on.

I would imagine that if your opponent isn't applying a good level of downward pressure and superb grips at the lapels, an athletic fighter could bridge into a back roll and take his back, but again, I don't use the gi and all we do in no-gi is roll out. So much easier to do without the nifty handholds gi BJJ confines you to. That's probably why you don't see N-S in MMA very much.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 1:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jnp, thanks for the explanation. I guess it just seems so straightforward to me that I could not understand why it would not be simple to explain. As for noobness.... I dunno, I just like to roll. I don't think I'm good but I don't think I'm terrible, more that I suck a little less every class.

Necro, a fantastic post and a great vid. Thanks a bunch!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12