Sponsored Links Spacer Image

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 1:52pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

N00b technical questions

Diddnt want to post this in DHS because I figured it would get thrown in here anyway... so I'm starting in Gitmo and maybe I'll get promoted... maybe?

Okay, two questions.

One, I roll with a fellow White who loves North-South and gets there often. At this point my usual response is to get some space and then shrimp, then roll to turtle. Obviously this means he takes my back and goes for a RNC/Guillotine. Now, due to the fact that I'm expecting him to take my back I can usually handle it. He moves to take my back, I shoulder roll to guard.. you know the drill. But I'm looking for suggestions on getting out of North-South without giving up my back.

Two, I'm wondering if there are any good suggestions for getting either a RNC, or Guillotine. I can occasionally take my opponents back. But I seem unable to get my arm tight against their neck for ther RNC... suggestions? Guillotine is the same way, I can often get the position just not tight enough for the choke....

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 6:36pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop using your weight advantage to win and actually learn jiu-jitsu.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 6:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can redeem yourself by telling us what your coach said when you asked him these same questions.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 8:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guillotine/RNC question he dodged.... asked the assistant instructor the same question and got the same. The North-South question just occurred to me as I was thinking about the Guillotine/RNC problem and I figured I would throw it out there.

As for using my weight vs. learning Jiu Jitsu I am learning thank you, and it's insulting when I ask a question looking for suggestions and/or help and I get attitude. I'm big, my weight is a huge advantage for me, I've been told this by my coach, by the assistant instructor and by several of the purples and blues I roll with. I don't use it to win. I use it to help me control my opponent, forgive me if I'm off base but I thought that was what you were supposed to do. Not leave empty space between you and your opponent, pressure, pressure, pressure.... I've heard that more times in six months then I care to think about. Sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities.

Edit: And you still have not answered either of my questions. This is the "Newbie" Grappling Forum. How about a little less attitude and a bit more help? If it's not too much trouble.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 9:06am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're having trouble getting the RNC/Guillotine tight you need to think about the goal of the choke. Leave as little space as possible inside your arms. That means (For the RNC) pushing your chest out, squeezing your arms together, and squeezing your arms towards your chest. You want to reduce that space to the smallest possible size.
    I've found that often times reaching for my opposite shoulder (macarana style) helps me finish off the RNC.

For the guillotine I use my free hand to push my wrist up towards my head, again trying to make the smallest possible space, I also will sometimes turn my choking arm to try to get the blade of my forearm more solidly onto the throat. The key is to reduce the amount of space though.

As a disclaimer I'm still kind of a newbie also, so anyone with more experience feel free to chime in with some better pointers or corrections.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 9:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kintanon,

I see where your coming from, and any help is appreciated.

Maybe I wasn't specific enough with my earlier question. My issue with the chokes lies in getting by the usual defenses, tucking the chin, covering with the hands etc.

Again, thanks for the input.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 9:30am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're having trouble getting your forearm under his chin take your free arm and crossface the **** out of him, or if you're in friendler settings brace the forearm on his forehead and pull back, I usually have to arch my back some too and use my whole body, but I'm all kinds of little, so you may not have that problem. Guillotine is the same kind of thing, the crossface is your friend when trying to get your forearm in there, though with the guillotine if you don't have it sunk it pretty good to begin with I recommend giving it up and going for something else or using it to set up a different move instead of trying to fight really hard for it.
    There are some good tips for guillotines in the "Arm In Guillotine" thread in DHS.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 9:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats exactly what I was looking for, thanks again!

I'll check out the thread in DHS.

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 5:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    As for using my weight vs. learning Jiu Jitsu I am learning thank you, and it's insulting when I ask a question looking for suggestions and/or help and I get attitude.
    Hi, I'm Cassius. I'd be more likely to be helpful if you didn't send me whiny PMs.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/21/2007 1:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sent you that as a PM (after you were frankly insulting) as I felt this was an issue that would be handled best in private. You know the old saying reward in public criticize in private?

Now, if you could be so kind as to either a) answer my questions and behave like a moderator or b) explain why my questions as posted in the NEWBIE forums deserved such ridicule it would be most appreciated.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast