Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 3:08pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I switch leads, and also switch which shoulder I'm throwing over. I'm not sure about the bounceback. It's really all about getting it up, over, and accelerating downward as hard as you can. A solid surface (i.e. concrete) will absorb and disperse the force by cracking/denting. Then you just pick up the sledge and get it going again.

I'm actually wondering if the bounceback might make the workout even tougher due to the fact that the energy isn't absorbed, it is actually redirected. As it bounces back, it seems like you'll be forced to expend energy controlling it so that you don't lose it off of the bounce. Then you'll have to reset and get it going again. So, rather than getting a little rest immediately after impact, as with concrete, you'll actually have to exert yourself controlling the bounce back. I'm really not too sure if this'll hold true or not, but I think that I might try it out.

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 3:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkengata
    Actually, no. Controlling the bounce-back is that much more of a workout.
    Beat me to it. And being a stickfighter already, I do lots of these targeting types of drills, so hitting the marks would fit right in tandem with that. Incidentally, my targeting and sledghammering skills are good enough that anytime I go to a carnival, I make sure and play that little strongman sledgehammer/ring the bell game. I ring it every time.

Last edited by Ryno; 7/19/2007 3:16pm at .

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 7:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm actually in the process of using a 16 lb to bust out concrete in my backyard. I busted out the rear patio to prepare for the last Gathering but still have the side yard to do. It's a bitch but a hell of a workout. Anyway, check out this link for some info from Ross Training. He puts it on an old cushion for indoor use and the accidental miss.

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/sledge.html
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 12:33am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WHOA!!! I didn't notice you lived in Ballard!! Okay - go around smashing those gh3y little lawn gnomes and all the quaint mailboxes decorated as fishing ships. Call me and I will assist if you'd like.

Off topic: Arnis or Kali? Where?

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 9:52am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Noooooooooooooooooo!!! Garden Gnomes are people too!
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 10:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    WHOA!!! I didn't notice you lived in Ballard!! Okay - go around smashing those gh3y little lawn gnomes and all the quaint mailboxes decorated as fishing ships. Call me and I will assist if you'd like.

Off topic: Arnis or Kali? Where?
    There's a lot less nordic old-timers than there used to be in Ballard.

LESKAS (Lightning Scientific Arnis) in Ballard/Crown Hill. http://www.leskas.com/

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 3:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sledges are great. Big tires are the best targets, but you can use a heavy bag or sturdy sandbag in a pinch.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2008 12:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing/MACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about just using the dirt. I live in an apartment and really have nowhere to put a tire orbuild a sand pit. There is plenty of isolated woods I could get into though to slug away at the ground. Or even a fallen tree maybe?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/04/2008 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave
    What about just using the dirt. I live in an apartment and really have nowhere to put a tire orbuild a sand pit. There is plenty of isolated woods I could get into though to slug away at the ground. Or even a fallen tree maybe?
    That's a sure way to get arthritis and tendinitis. If you don't have space to put a tire, simply make a slam ball (this is one of the do-it-yourself equipment threads listed in the sticky thread (read the sticky thread if you haven't done it already).

Also, unless you live on a high rise building and are far away from a park, you can simply keep the tire standing and covered with a piece of canvas. That's what I do. I keep my tire covered with canvas and my sledgehammer in one of the closets. When it's time to use it, I simply carry them to a nearby park and plow away.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2008 6:23pm

Style: Judo, Wrestling, Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    Yeah, just big ass tires. Chopping wood is also a good way to go. Kettlebells offer a similar kind of workout.
    Quoted for truth. I recently bought some kettlebells and I like them. Also in high school some of the best wrestlers on our team were rancher/farmers kids. Farm work has several great excersizes. Even milking a cow or a goat. My friend Ben grew up on a goat farm and his grip strength is insane.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12