Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 2:12pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tim Cartmell?

Has anyone trained with him or been to one of his seminars? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Cartmell says he got his BJJ black belt in 2003 under Cleber Luciano and has won some pan american tournaments.

I'm curious because I know he has a CMA background and supposedly intergrates internal martial arts concepts into grappling. Id be curois to hear what exactly those are and if anyone has any first hand experience with it.

Thanks!

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 2:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've read his book 'Passing the Guard', and while it may or may not contain 'IMA' concepts, it is clear, well presented, comprehensive and in all other ways awesome.

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 2:53pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://communityjiujitsu.blogspot.co...1_archive.html

Scroll down to the revie of Tim Cartmell's school.

Only positive things have been said about him.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 3:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He teaches striking as well as grappling judging by some videos of light sparring I've seen from his school.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 3:20pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he wrote "Effortless Combat Throws". I haven't read it, but it is supposed to be excellent as well.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 4:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know him personally and have trained with him a few times. He's a good guy and an awesome jiujitsu teacher. The info you stated is all true. He started training in BJJ when he returned to the US from taiwan. He was Cleber's first and I think only blackbelt and he's still training with him.
    Tim uses a lot of the concepts that he learned in IMA when he teaches, but he always explained everything in a real clear scientific manner. He also place a lot of emphasis on bio-mechanical exercises and hard sparring. If I lived in southern California I'd definitely train with him.
    Last edited by D Dempsey; 7/18/2007 4:24pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 6:14pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey
    I know him personally and have trained with him a few times. He's a good guy and an awesome jiujitsu teacher. The info you stated is all true. He started training in BJJ when he returned to the US from taiwan. He was Cleber's first and I think only blackbelt and he's still training with him.
    Tim uses a lot of the concepts that he learned in IMA when he teaches, but he always explained everything in a real clear scientific manner. He also place a lot of emphasis on bio-mechanical exercises and hard sparring. If I lived in southern California I'd definitely train with him.
    That is excellent to hear. Can you comment at all in terms of what he applys from IMA?

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 9:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He uses mainly concepts like posture, alignment, breathing, etc. You won't be doing any forms or circle walking. In his beginner's curriculum there are some elements from bagua, taji, and xingyi, but it's nothing that could outright be called IMA. It's mainly a self defense course with a lot of escapes from holds and stand up grappling. The other area is tactics. He teaches a lot of unorthodox setups and entries into the clinch and the striking he teaches is more like bagua then boxing.
    If you want more details you would be best off just calling or emailing him. Tim is really approachable and doesn't mind that sort of thing.
    Last edited by D Dempsey; 7/18/2007 9:18pm at .

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 8:56pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey
    [A bunch of positive things, then...] If I lived in southern California I'd definitely train with him.
    Thanks for this. Cartmell's on my long list of persons with whom I'd love to train in the LA area, thus it's great to hear some first hand reportage on the quality of his instruction.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 9:44pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tim's high on my list of people to train with. I've never heard anything bad about him.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast