Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Clock Choke setups

I've recently started working on the clock choke, but thus far I have only one way to set it up. I've been working on this setup during sparring a lot recently, and I feel that I'm starting to become pretty fastle at it.

Does anyone know any nifty ways to set the clock choke up?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 1:24pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you currently set it up?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 10:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I initially thought that explaining it would take too long, but I'll give it a shot.

I was shown what my instructor said was the "basic" set up. It goes as follows:

1. Opponent is turtling and you are perpendicular rather than behind.
    2. You secure their far ankle with whichever hand is closest to it and keep your weight on their hips.
    3. You grab their opposite side collar with your hand closest to their head.
    4. You shift your weight forward so as to drive their shoulders and head into the mat while switching the grip on their ankle to a one-on-one grip on the wrist on the same side as the ankle you just let go of.
    5. Keeping your weight on their shoulder, you switch your hips and sit out in front of their shoulders so as to block them while pulling the arm gripping their collar.

I hope that description provides an image of the setup I've been working with.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 11:28am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's one that I used frequently in competition when it was my staple finisher.

Beginning in side control:

Usually you want to keep good shoulder pressure and have thier head pinned to the ground. It keeps them from turning into you, right? Of course. In this set-up you get WEAK side control on purpose. ON PURPOSE. Meaning to recognize the risks and possible counters.

1) Instead of good head/shoulder pressure you get a nice light grip on the collar right at the base of his neck.

2) Wiggle around and attempt weak knee on belly. Don't get knee on belly. Just pop up. If you are looking for points, or down on points, grab knee on belly and then intentionally **** it up.
    a) you WANT them to go to thier knees.
    b) you have to ALLOW them to get to thier knees. That means do not take control of thier pant legs, or hook behind thier knee while doing your crappy knee on belly.
    c) be ready to sprawl out. If they get to thier knees and are able to get your leg/legs you are in trouble.

3) As they turn to thier knees you keep your grip on the back of thier collar. It will tighten up to prepare the clock choke. The reason you kept a light grip until now is..duh... not to give it away. A death grip ripping and pulling the whole time during knee on belly clues them into your intention.

4) Now for the keys to cinching up the choke
    a) breaking them down. Don't allow them to sit very long on thier elbows and knees.
    b) reach OVER thier body with your free hand, under the armpit, and grab thier wrist/forearm.
    c) pull that wrist down toward thier hips or toward thier chest and then drive/push in the direction of thier shoulder. Ideally you have broken thier base at that corner and now you flatten them onto thier stomach.

5) Why do I have to break them down? Because one of the best defenses to a cinched clock (other than simply turning into them) is to stand up and back out. You cannot stand up when flat and off your knees/elbows.

6) Finishing the clock is finesse. Some people prefer both collars. Some prefer pulling really hard on the collar. Some prefer to load thier weight at the hips on top of thier opponents head/neck. Some prefer quick circular movement and the shock value going to the quick tap.
    a) every single opponent reacts differently and you may have to adjust your pressure.
    b) you may have to make several full rotations as your opponent continually adjusts to lessen the choke. Just keep going.

7) Have options. Be ready for your clock to fail, your grip to fail, or your opponent to react quicker than you anticipated. Look for the bow-and-arrow or something else. If you screw around with your opponent on his knees there is a good chance he is going to give you a double leg takedown and now YOU will be on bottom in side control.

8) BE NASTY. I have done some really crappy things to opponents over the years with this technique. I have slammed my thigh into thier ribs as I set up the choke. I have crossfaced them instead of choking. I've spun around and put my knee on the back of thier neck to get the response neccessary to expose the neck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 1:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Here's one that I used frequently in competition when it was my staple finisher.

1) Instead of good head/shoulder pressure you get a nice light grip on the collar right at the base of his neck.
    Do you grab the collar on the same side, or on the opposite side? The way I'm imagining this I see going behind the neck and grabbing the same-side collar with a thumb-up grip.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 2:43pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is correct. Thumb inside. When he rolls to his knees (going toward you) you have your clock choke grip already set.