Page 3 of 3 First 123
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The worst complement you'll ever get from anyone in jiu-jitsu: You're strong.

Glad you had a good time. I don't see how anyone in their right mind can't. If you choose to pursue it, once again, just remember that you're there to learn, not win while rolling.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds similar to my first experience in BJJ except mine involved a lot more tapping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    The worst complement you'll ever get from anyone in jiu-jitsu: You're strong.

Glad you had a good time. I don't see how anyone in their right mind can't. If you choose to pursue it, once again, just remember that you're there to learn, not win while rolling.
    Yeah, I gotta work on that. I really felt like a bull in a china shop a lot last night. It's so hard doing something that feels so similar to what I'm used to but is actually completely different. I think I'll feel a lot better and relax more when I figure out how to grab people and control them without a gi on.

The other thing I noticed is that it's really hard to just relax and catch your breath in no-gi. In gi ne-waza you can really slow the other guy down by holding them in place, no-gi they're slithering all over you whenever you stop.

Awesome stuff though.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    congrats.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But if they tell you are strong and you were not using strength, that is good. You used leverage!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judobum
    I think I'll feel a lot better and relax more when I figure out how to grab people and control them without a gi on.

The other thing I noticed is that it's really hard to just relax and catch your breath in no-gi. In gi ne-waza you can really slow the other guy down by holding them in place, no-gi they're slithering all over you whenever you stop.

Awesome stuff though.
    It is actually pretty funny telling a guy with 20 years judo experience that "hey, don't worry about it, it all comes down to mat time."

No-gi is a much faster paced game than gi; BUT, the faster pace does NOT mean the game is any less technical from the BJJ aspect...it is just, well, different. You learn to worship the under and over hook wraps depending on your set-up and transitional goals; you learn to break down your opponent a little differently, etc. All of the aspects of control are there but they are just different; and that will come with mat time.

Glad you enjoyed it, keep it up.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by Cassius; 7/20/2007 6:01pm at . Reason: Not useful.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's really addicting, though, isn't it? The fast pace of no-gi? Non-stop action and transitioning?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****... I had a guy tell me I was strong last BJJ session. I think I'll go cry now. And yes, he made me tap. Dammit.

Page 3 of 3 First 123