Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 11:17am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First BJJ class - any tips?

I'm going to my first BJJ class tomorrow night and I'm just wondering what I should or shouldn't do. I'm an experienced judoka (20 years) so I'm no stranger to ne-waza. I rolled with some of these guys at a judo class on Monday so I at least know them and I held my own with one of the better guys (BJJ brown) with neither of us able to do anything to the other.

Just looking for if there is any big no-nos in BJJ. Obviously I'm not going to go out like a complete maniac and these guys seem pretty laid back. I'm a middle sized guy (195 lbs or so) so I'm not gonna crush little guys and I'm not afraid of big guys (unless they have some mutant 300 pounder phenom but I doubt that). Just looking for any little pointers or etiquette tips. It's gonna be weird wearing a white belt again (if I can find one).

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 11:27am

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't really think of anything I could tell somebody with 20 years of Judo other than to be laid back and not expect a lot of formality. Other than that watch neck cranks and be willing to do some no-gi along with gi. Just have fun.

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 11:40am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ isn't as focused on just holding a pin, from what I've seen. So don't just camp out in kesa, not doing anything. Also, be aware of leglocks, which some BJJ clubs use, whereas many Judoka don't. Other than that if you're from a pretty heavy newaza club, there shouldn't be much difference other than BJJ folks like to name every single little variation a new name.
    Last edited by Ryno; 7/18/2007 12:38pm at .

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 11:58am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just keep in mind why you're there (presumably to train, not to beat everyone up).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 12:12pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have studied Judo for that long that i dont see too much you need to worry about. Some techniques are performed alittle differently and expect alot of guard work. Just be open to learning and you'll be fine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 3:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'm going to have to rein in the ego a bit I think. I want to kind of get a better feel for BJJ and be a bit less intense than my usual. Unfortunately I'm pretty hyper-competitive on the mats so that's going to be tricky.

Any funny things on my legs, heel or shoulder I'm going to insta-tap since I don't really know what might be happening and I know that those techniques can really mess you up if you don't tap quickly. My plan is to avoid anyone catching my leg and heel though but we'll see how that goes.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DO NOT TURTLE.

Alot of Judoka seem to instinctively turtle up in order to defend. But this is not such a good strategy in BJJ, where attacks can be a little bit more er....vigorous.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 3:17pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being competative is ok just dont treat it like you're at the mundials lol. Are going just doing gi or are you doing no gi as well?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 5:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    DO NOT TURTLE.

Alot of Judoka seem to instinctively turtle up in order to defend. But this is not such a good strategy in BJJ, where attacks can be a little bit more er....vigorous.
    I busted up laughin when i read this, as it was my first thought when i read the post, but if you are holding of brownbelts then I think you do more than stall in turtle or kesa/kizuri

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 5:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Method2Madness
    Being competative is ok just dont treat it like you're at the mundials lol. Are going just doing gi or are you doing no gi as well?
    I think they just do gi so that'll be easier. Of course I'm not really basing that on anything except that the BJJers at the judo class were wearing gi's with BJJ patches on them (and one girl was wearing a red gi which was pretty cool). I said I'd be coming to the BJJ class and they didn't tell me to bring shorts so I think it's just gi.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast