Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 3:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Shito-Ryu, we would get smacked if our heel wasn't firmly planted on the ground during punches.

They told us the idea was to firmly ground yourself into the earth upon making impact with the target...which I guess is supposed to prevent you from rebounding after a strike without penetrating into the target.

Honestly, I found that it shortened the length of the punch considerably, since you can't get full hip/shoulder rotation into the strike without pulling the heel off the ground. As such, it tends to create a "Punching in a Box" feeling concerning range.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know people that work the makiwara a lot that can punch hard as hell, and they always keep the heel down. Howoever, the main way power is generated is not really related to having the heel down. There's actually a pivot on the ball of the foot to rotate the hips, then the heel digs into the ground. There's usually also a shuffling forward motion and pulling the other half of the body back to a chambered position.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 4:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds like bollocks to me and if i wanted to learn how to throw strong punches i would be talking to tyson not rampage

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 4:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you heel-punch, you can still get some hip-turn...just not as much. Flexibility is restricted. You're also giving up the force added by the back heel pushing off the ground, an action caused by the contraction of the calf muscle. This means you're leaving that muscle out of the total cumulative force behind the motion, leaving the other muscles involved to do all the work. That said, one can KO still people from heels-on-the-ground punches, and there may be some who--for reasons of their own--prefer the greater base of support. Hard to imagine that this view would be very common among strikers, though.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 7/17/2007 4:33pm at .

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 4:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doubled up on the post. Sorry.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 7/17/2007 4:34pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 9:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can still generate plenty of power if your heel is firmly planted...I think a lot depends on the type of punch you are throwing and whether you have developed short power or not.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 10:07pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ
    You can still generate plenty of power if your heel is firmly planted...I think a lot depends on the type of punch you are throwing and whether you have developed short power or not.
    You definatly can, but it seems to be counter intuitive at first. One needs to look at what happens to their own body at point of impact.

:)

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 11:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hl1978
    Does anyone else work on puching from the heel rather than pushing off the toes?
    Jackson was self-admittedly a street fighter, turned pro. He hints at throwing down a lot when he was younger...this would probably explain why he can throw hard from funny angles. He's scrappy by nature, but well trained now.

In the school I attend, we're taught to bend the legs slightly, to isolate the balls of the feet...not the toes....
    It sinks the weight down, and keeps the knee joint safe from accidental strikes. The front foot is turned in a little, to protect the toes from being stepped on as easily. The back knee/foot points in a little so the foot is almost pointing at the opponent, for faster kick release time...and a more direct foreward power. When we punch, we either push off the back foot (jab, to gain) or pivot on the back foot a little (hooks/cross), to use the full power of the hip, allow the strikes to be thrust out with all the body's potential momentum.

In the 16oz gloves we spar in (and even the 14s or12s for competition), anything less than a hip driven punch will be a joke tap, unless the opponent isn't expecting it (loose neck or jaw) or moves into it (zigs when should have been zagging) Our punching is supposed to keep up with someone's kicks...which inherently have more oomph.
    I don't know for boxing...but kickboxing needs hard punches, or someone can just cover up, and kick the legs at will.

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 11:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any highlight video of Ernesto Hoost will show a whole ass load of hip driven punching, same for his kicks. That's how to hurt them, it's too easy to get knocked off balance with weight on the heels. I love to sidekick, and I pray every sparring session, they'll be on their heels, so when I kick them, they fall back/to the side....and I won't as much.

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 11:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    say what? Where do you get this idea from that he's punching from the heel? He was fairly flat footed, but saying he's pushing off from the heel sounds a little out there to me.
    It could be he was balanced funny when he clipped Lidell in their last match. But that was chucks fault for diving in with a body shot....not a clever use of punches...and not worth the trade. Kickboxing might be more of a thing to look at for good punching form. The bigger gloves make the fighters project their power.

Lot's of UFC fighters loop their punches (not in a good way like Tyson, but sloppy), or have crummy footwork, or just brawl, or tackle the guy....for better striking, try K!...if someone could take some of that over to whatever they do, it'd be a good help. That said, I know there are different considerations...but in san shou sparring, if I punch from the heel...it's my ass cos they won't respect my power...same thing for guys who spar with the tappy tappy touch kicks...I wade right through and lay the smack.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast