:)

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Please remember when we discuss who has a brain and who has a certain IQ and whatnot, this thread did begin with someone saying Rampage Jackson throws punches flat footed.

In a live context.
    Rampage is famous for punching from a hanging horse stance....

here's him from an interview

"How do you punch so hard, Mr Jackson?"
    (something to the effect of)
    "it's all in the ass"

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 1:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai shotokan, kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

punching from the heel

if you throw a hook, you have to be on the ball of your foot, the speed comes from that quick swivel, heel moving 90 degrees outward like a slip, if you want to punch from the heel roll forward on to your toes, as your throwing the straight lead, punching off the heel only, keeps your weight back, you want it forward!

Posted On:
    1/20/2008 2:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    punching from the heel? never heard of it before, but it sounds interestin, gotta watch the fight again

Posted On:
    1/21/2008 7:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Umm...Upyu,

You had your jokemeter on when you wrote: "Look, muscles in general can contract and expand"...right?

If not, get your coach/sensei/guru/whatever to go over some basic physiology with you...

...or tell me which muscle in the human body "expands". Inquiring bouncers want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2008 11:10pm

Style: Aunkai, Tokyo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand
    Umm...Upyu,

You had your jokemeter on when you wrote: "Look, muscles in general can contract and expand"...right?

If not, get your coach/sensei/guru/whatever to go over some basic physiology with you...

...or tell me which muscle in the human body "expands". Inquiring bouncers want to know.

Thanks in advance.
    Sorry, you're right,

What I meant to say is that muscles can only contract, then relax, not expand.
    (I had the description in Japanese in my head...they use a word similar to "expand" to describe the muscle going back into its original state")

Though the heart is one muscle that contracts and expands :)

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 9:31am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The myocardium actually expands? Damn, who knew?

(I'd better call my former Phys.-Ed. profs at university and give them the news: "Ya taught me wrong, ya bums--now gimme back alla my tooishun or I'll moida da bunchayouz...").

Sugoi muzukashii desu, ne?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 11:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The myocardium actually expands? Damn, who knew?

(I'd better call my former Phys.-Ed. profs at university and give them the news: "Ya taught me wrong, ya bums--now gimme back alla my tooishun or I'll moida da bunchayouz...").

Sugoi muzukashii desu, ne?
    Hehehe, apparently its an exception.
    Majide muzukashii ze, nihongo no kaishaku toka de kangaeruto mecha mecha atama kongaragaru toki aruna:new_Eyecr w

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 5:29pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Naaaani?!??! Chigau-yo!

The cells of the heart muscle differ from other muscle cells only in that their contractions are automatic (as you can see by looking at one under a microscope). They only require external stimuli to coordinate their contractions, or you've got fibrillation and the blood doesn't get pumped. These muscle cells don't "expand" any more than do other muscle cells.

Back to topic: sure, one can punch without force added via the calf muscles which lift the heel. While one is at it, one can also consider other handicaps: tie a hand behind the back, wear a blindfold, and so on.

Why, though?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 7:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Naaaani?!??! Chigau-yo!

The cells of the heart muscle differ from other muscle cells only in that their contractions are automatic (as you can see by looking at one under a microscope). They only require external stimuli to coordinate their contractions, or you've got fibrillation and the blood doesn't get pumped. These muscle cells don't "expand" any more than do other muscle cells.

Back to topic: sure, one can punch without force added via the calf muscles which lift the heel. While one is at it, one can also consider other handicaps: tie a hand behind the back, wear a blindfold, and so on.

Why, though?
    www, wikipedia ni damasaretana ^^;

Anyways, that's true within the punching mechanic you describe.

Another way to look at it, is to look at a person's two legs as having a similar structure as that of a bridge. If you can connect both legs as an entire unit, you can pass force through the "arch", or in this case, both legs.
    This means that the power generation, can come from front leg, pass through the "arch", and to the rear heel, and at the same time travel upwards through the crotch, out the spine etc etc

Verbally, all this is kind of useless to explain, but there is a significant difference in feel.

Summary, you can get an extremely heavy punch that naturally uses 100% body weight, without committing your body weight in any one direction (sounds contradictory, I know), and expending much much less energy.
    No forceful using of the calf muscles to drive the heel up is used either.

The downside to this, is that it's a skill that takes a while to learn and also requires conditioning of the body that's pretty unusual to most people.

Then you can get into other additives, like using the stretch of the fascia to add to the power of the hit etc, slamming the diaphragm down, causing the force to ricochet into the legs and back up, in order to produce power for the hit, etc.

Again, this stuff needs to be felt, and can't be simply explained in words.

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 8:38am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As stated, no doubt people can KO others punching from the heel, especially if there's sufficient size differential (a jab--or even just an arm-only punch from a superheavyweight--may pack as much force as a 'correct' boxing punch from a member of some other weight-classes). Another use for the heel-punch occurs when a person with an ankle or arch injury--or permanent limitation such as a permanently fused ankle--has no choice but to punch from the heel.

The usual principle in any forceful activity, though, is termed "summation of all muscles and joints involved"...which is why baseball pitchers don't just use their throwing arm to toss the ball: every possible part of the body is put into the pitch.
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 1415 LastLast