Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 1:24pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

punching from the heel

Does anyone else work on puching from the heel rather than pushing off the toes?

If you watch rampage jackson's last fight, its clear someone had him change his footwork compared to his last fight, as he was punching from the rear heel, and it seemed to work pretty good against Chuck Liddell.

Looking at it from a statics/body mechanics perspective it makes more sense as you have more surface area on the ground to distribute the weight/force that goes back into you. With a stronger base you can deliver more power into your target. I've tried it against a heavy bag and it seems to work better.

So anyone else have experence with this? If so, how do you train it?

Do you feel it is worth any trade off versus mobility? Jackson still seemed able to move around quite well.

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMQM1JkxL4U

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 2:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    say what? Where do you get this idea from that he's punching from the heel? He was fairly flat footed, but saying he's pushing off from the heel sounds a little out there to me.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 2:05pm

Style: Krav_Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd have to watch the fight again but from everything I've ever seen you get much more power by keeping your heel slightly off the ground and using the ball of your foot to push off. But then who am I to argue with Rampage? :P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 2:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    say what? Where do you get this idea from that he's punching from the heel? He was fairly flat footed, but saying he's pushing off from the heel sounds a little out there to me.
    While he throws very few punches, and does step very flat footed, his heel does not appear to lift off the ground when he strikes. If it was from the toes, you would have to push from the ball of the foot. That is why I termed it from the heel.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 2:17pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The shot that puts Chuck down is a hook. There is no way he's throwing that from the heel.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 2:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    The shot that puts Chuck down is a hook. There is no way he's throwing that from the heel.
    unfortunatey we can't see the rear leg on that shot.

none the less, what about punching from the heel in general, has anyone else tried it against a heavy bag etc.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this one of those weird Aiki Ju Jitsu, body structure things?

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 2:21pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like it would result in more push then pop. if your heel is planted you cant really turn your hip, if you cant turn your hip then you are wrong.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 2:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    Is this one of those weird Aiki Ju Jitsu, body structure things?
    Yep.

It is one of the things that I was discussing with Upyu while in japan. While there is a twisting motion inside the body, same side coodination is a bit more stressed so you don't have as much of a hip twist like in a traditional karate reverse punch etc.

On a side note I was disapointed that the shooto guys didnt show up while I was there (and I did it last minute so I didn't get to set up a throwdown with the tokyo guys), but I guess there is always next time.

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 3:30pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just watched the video and his foot is cropped out of the frame, but from the angle of his lower leg (forward), and the flexed calf, I'd say he was on the ball of his right foot when he throws the right hook.

I believe that initially Rampage looks so flat footed because he is leaning back a bit, forcing Chuck to step in closer to land a shot. I have no doubt that Jackson was doing this to set up a takedown. Chuck is not much of a kicker, so Rampage plays a smart game by leaning back, even though he could get drilled by a leg kick. He is trying to keep his head clear, but minimize the amount of space that he'll need to cover if he drops levels to shoot.

After re-re-watching the vid, notice that as they come close to being in range, Rampage leans back to keep his head clear. As he pursues, or considers attacking, his head and shoulders bob forward quickly. He definitely bobs forward when he lands that hook, making me thing that he is not flat footed.
Page 1 of 15 1 234511 ... LastLast