Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 4:34pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tuhon Gaje studied various systems of silat while putting together the Dumog curriculum, as well as the native submission wrestling of the phillipines. It looks like Greco meets silat, just at a very very fast pace. (in the videos of the force recon marines praticing dumog material, there's very little jostling for position, they just sort of smack into each other, one gets the takedown and immediately locks in whatever sub or destruction he's going for. They train with super short time limits to discourage stalling).

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 1:15am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Where is Pendekar when you need one?

Quote Originally Posted by Naszir
    I thought Cimande was named after the village or the river that the village was on and not an animal. Where's a pendekar when you need one?

Check out Pendekar Ray on Youtube if you want to see the real thing !!!!

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 1:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naszir
    I thought Cimande was named after the village or the river that the village was on and not an animal. Where's a pendekar when you need one?

Cimande, or Tji-mande. Any of the Javanese styles that starts with Tji is "The river style of...".

Usually, whatever follows Tji- is an animal of some sort. Tiger, monkey, bat, whatever.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 1:12am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    Tuhon Gaje studied various systems of silat while putting together the Dumog curriculum, as well as the native submission wrestling of the phillipines. It looks like Greco meets silat, just at a very very fast pace. (in the videos of the force recon marines praticing dumog material, there's very little jostling for position, they just sort of smack into each other, one gets the takedown and immediately locks in whatever sub or destruction he's going for. They train with super short time limits to discourage stalling).

For The Record, my Silat teacher grew up in Java doing Silat, moved to Holland & did more Silat & Kenpo, and then moved to California and trained with Bapak Guru Besar Rudy Terlinden in Pentjak Silat Ratu Adil until Guru Rudy moved back to Europe in his elder years.

Out of all the Filipino arts I've shown him (mostly vids), he likes Tuhon Leo Gaje very much, says that his Pekiti Tersia looks alot like very good Silat, & very effective. He also likes San Miguel and Decuerdas Eskrima.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 7:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Filipino KALI/PencakSILAT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I teach Silat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 9:12am

Style: Tae Kwon Do(GTF now)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there are different kind of silat.traditional(exp;silat gayong), competition silat(exp;silat olahraga) and straightforward,good for self defence silat(silat hanafi,silat lincah) i suggest you to learn silat at its original place(recommendation:malaysia).most silat master(tok guru)are willing to accept foreign student and teach them everything they know.the reason of the effectiveness of silat is that silat is like an open source software.very flexible.you can find numerous of tkd,karate,jujutsu,kungfu(even savate and kali) in standard silat syllabus(this varies to the school,though)

i personally would rather fight a mt fighter than a pesilat. i am a malaysian and i know my logic behind my idea.my reason for not taking silat is because of its complicated,hard to remember bunga(form,like kata)

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 4:08am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_1412
    i suggest you to learn silat at its original place(recommendation:malaysia)
    I'd go to Java. Just me.

i personally would rather fight a mt fighter than a pesilat.
    Agreed.

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 8:25am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    Cimande, or Tji-mande. Any of the Javanese styles that starts with Tji is "The river style of...".

Usually, whatever follows Tji- is an animal of some sort. Tiger, monkey, bat, whatever.
    In sundanese language, word 'ci' means river
    Cimande is a sundanese style not javanese .
    Tanah sunda or pajajaran is in Java island, but sunda people or 'urang sunda' have differences in culture, language n history

sorry for my bad english :icon_roll

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 6:01pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oki27
    In sundanese language, word 'ci' means river
    Cimande is a sundanese style not javanese .
    Tanah sunda or pajajaran is in Java island, but sunda people or 'urang sunda' have differences in culture, language n history

sorry for my bad english :icon_roll
    Sorry. What's the difference again? Ci-, Tji-, Tjai-, "Water from a River"...
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 9/15/2007 6:07pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 11:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKDC (FMA/Silat focus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My two cents:

If you are here in the U.S.A., I don't think you could go wrong with someone from the Maphilindo blend that Dan Inosanto teaches. I would, however, caution you to find someone in the Inosanto circle with more than a casual interest in this portion of the curriculum. There are a great many of us that have focused on the Kali/Silat portion of Jeet Kun Do Concepts and I think there is merit to the Maphilindo stuff. If you are close to Dayton, Ohio, you should check out Asian Fighting Arts. The Sikal curriculum that Guru Ken Pannell offers is top notch and comprehensive. One of his senior instructors, Mike Casto, instructs in Louisville, Kentucky.
    Make no mistake, Silat is a comprehensive, scientific and devastating combat science at its core. IMHO, most martial arts get esoteric when steeped in doctrine and like every other system of knowledge, one should attempt to glean the seeds of truth out of the doctrinal mess.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast