Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 10:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pentjak Silat: Devastating Martial Art, Or "Mystical" Bovine Excretion?

I present to you a question that I feel only a true regular of Bullshido could answer. I'm going to be taking Kendo classes regularly and I realized that I should also take a non-weapon oriented martial art to back it up. So, I was surfing the interwebz looking for a martial art that suited me and I stubled upon Pentjak Silat. I did a very mimimal amount of reading on it and thoght to myself, "Hey, this martial art has it all! Striking, kicking, and even alitle bit of weaponry to quench my thirst for weaponly weapons." But then I pulled my head out of my ass and saw that they also teach "The arts of magic, healing and mystic powers." Naturally, this made a red light go off in my head. In an attempt to calm myself I thought, "Surely not all pentjak silat schools teach this assdickery" but then I realized that the main focus of many PS related webpages was the spiritual aspects of it. So, to quote the title, is pentjack silat a devastating martial art, of "mystical" bullshit?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 4:04am

Style: KARATE / MUAY THAI

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NOT AN EXPERT OPINION!

from the limited exposure ive had, silat is in a way like kung fu - hundreds of styles all looking completly different, yet all termed silat. bit of a pain. as far as i know, the main types are either animal style based ie cimande or not, and a bit more structured. just take a look at youtube at the assorted clips for silat - wildly different.

in a rough conclusion, like everything, depends on the style, training methods and the instructor. got a link?

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 5:29am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's nothing wrong with magic and mystic powers as long as they are tested in a resistive manner.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 9:08am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Original title: Pentjak Silat: Devastating Martial Art, Or "Mystical" Bullshit?

Please do not swear in thread titles.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 9:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shinaisamurai
    I present to you a question that I feel only a true regular of Bullshido could answer. I'm going to be taking Kendo classes regularly and I realized that I should also take a non-weapon oriented martial art to back it up. So, I was surfing the interwebz looking for a martial art that suited me and I stubled upon Pentjak Silat. I did a very mimimal amount of reading on it and thoght to myself, "Hey, this martial art has it all! Striking, kicking, and even alitle bit of weaponry to quench my thirst for weaponly weapons." But then I pulled my head out of my ass and saw that they also teach "The arts of magic, healing and mystic powers." Naturally, this made a red light go off in my head. In an attempt to calm myself I thought, "Surely not all pentjak silat schools teach this assdickery" but then I realized that the main focus of many PS related webpages was the spiritual aspects of it. So, to quote the title, is pentjack silat a devastating martial art, of "mystical" bullshit?
    As has been said, there's loads of silat styles. In the Philippines alone, they range from sport to LARPing. How much more when you start to consider Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia?

With regard to the mystical stuff, some teach it, some don't. The language barrier and relatively high cost of maintaining a website in Southeast Asia has prevented many other styles, with their different approaches, from making their presence felt on the web. It all depends on whose group you're training with.

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 9:42am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oni
    NOT AN EXPERT OPINION!

from the limited exposure ive had, silat is in a way like kung fu - hundreds of styles all looking completly different, yet all termed silat. bit of a pain. as far as i know, the main types are either animal style based ie cimande or not, and a bit more structured. just take a look at youtube at the assorted clips for silat - wildly different.

in a rough conclusion, like everything, depends on the style, training methods and the instructor. got a link?
    Cimande is animal style?

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 10:35am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought Cimande was named after the village or the river that the village was on and not an animal. Where's a pendekar when you need one?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 11:14pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My experience with Silat has definitely been the mystical bullshit variety. If they even mention Silat magic, stay far far away. Chances are good that a) they're martial training is shite, and b) they are running a cult. At least, that was my experience.
    Can you share the link for the silat school you're looking at?

Genius

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 11:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done a seminar with Tuhon Leo Gahe. (sp?) Anyway, he showed some stuff that absolutely made sense, we had a hard workout in the seminar as well. It was kind of like doing Muay Thai with sticks and knives. When we did some empty hand stuff, however, he said he preferred open palm strikes because it allows the air from the breath to transfer to the open palm and explode. His explanation what bullshit, but I can see how an open palm to the fore-head would be preferrable to using a closed fist.

There is bullshit in silat, but with a critical mind-set, you can sort it out and find out what really works.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 8:27am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GT Gaje is Pekiti Tirsia Kali not silat but if you ask someone the difference between them some would say they are pretty much the same. GT Gaje does put some faith in anting antings/oraciones but that has more to do with culture rather than the martial arts itself as far as I can see.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast