Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 8:50am

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no problem at all with people who just want to do acrobatic forms for the exercise, if that's all they claim to be doing.
    agreed

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 11:48am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophist
    MartialArtN00b, neither of those first two videos you posted were of sparring.
    Well, what exactly do you want?

I could just post instructionals from john wang, going from single form to judo applications. Sparring ends up not looking so different from poor man version of judo randori.

I use my interpretation of hung gar in bjj while we stand up spar, it doesnt look anything exotic. Typical judo techniques/ wrestling techniques.

Tim cartmells effortless throws are not exactly exotic either.

Deep down, we pretty much know what real sparring looks like, and it aint jet li.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 12:04pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartialArtN00b
    Sparring clips. Those were pre-arranged demos and drills. Demos =/= sparring, not even light sparring. Same with drills.

I could just post instructionals from john wang, going from single form to judo applications. Sparring ends up not looking so different from poor man version of judo randori.
    May I beg that you clarify that statement?

I use my interpretation of hung gar in bjj while we stand up spar, it doesnt look anything exotic. Typical judo techniques/ wrestling techniques.

Tim cartmells effortless throws are not exactly exotic either.

Deep down, we pretty much know what real sparring looks like, and it aint jet li.
    I think Sophist is referring that those clips look like pre-arranged demos or drills. This is no different from a, say drill going from a triangle-escape-go for armbar-escape-go for triangle again, etc.

Sparring IMO is defined not so much for the intensity, but for the uncertainty in it. There is no pre-arrangement as in a drill or demo, which is what those clips where (independently of the skills of the people in them.)

My two cents from an outside observer.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 12:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Mr Mantis, with all due respect, stop shitting up the thread with clips from cheesy kf flicks and post some sparring.
    It's video therefore, it happened.

My lame attempt at irony has gone unappreciated.

And that clip is from "Unbeatable Dragon" that's good "cheese" a film that should be in any Shaw Brother's lovers collection.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 1:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no problem at all with people who just want to do acrobatic forms for the exercise, if that's all they claim to be doing.
    Yep, we've (us kung fuers) have said this a million times.

I respect what modern wushu has done to preserve the forms for later generations. Yes, there are (especially in china) schools that actually do the original sets. Then you have the XMA made up stuff. Which IMO is no different than a gymnastics routine. The big difference, a gymnast isn't going to run around talking about using gymnastics to whip some ass.

There are articles all over the net of modern (competition) wushu's effectiveness in a fight. That is where my problems start.

Moron

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 3:22pm

Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You talking about J Wang from this thread right?

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51001

The guys a fucking fool!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 4:45pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, i lost my post several times over some bug.

Elmacho, the second clip was called sparring by the people in the vid. So since i didnt see that much difference between clip 1 and clip 2, i assume they think its sparring.

john wang, the same as liokaults j wang, is a shuai jiao instructor. And personnally, i think that shuai jiao looks poorer than judo, hence why i refered it to poor man judo.

liokault, he is a fool in that aspect, but his instructionals of formwork->throwing application are semi interesting for the people that are still stuck on formwork-> striking, hence sparring== bad kickboxing.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 5:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

liokault, he is a fool in that aspect, but his instructionals of formwork->throwing application are semi interesting for the people that are still stuck on formwork-> striking, hence sparring== bad kickboxing.
    Clear this up. I'm getting 2 different points.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 6:15am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've drawn a complete blank looking for clips of Hung Gar sparring recognisably as Hung Gar/Hung Kuen though. This surprises me. It's one of the most popular southern chinese, 'hard' styles there is, with a reputation for tough conditioning etc..

Can anybody help us out here ?
    Here's some video from a Hung Gar tournament: http://www.tianwudao.com/forums/down...Gar%202006.mov. Warning: it's a big file (240M).

I believe it's from the tournament mentioned here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35668

As for it being recognizably Hung Gar, I'll leave that to more knowledgeable people.
    Multiple styles are represented. I assume some of the fighters are using Hung Gar, but I can't say for sure as I don't really know what HG looks like.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 5:48pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I posted this in Strikestan a while back but I thought I should still represent for my style in what little capacity I can.

edit: apparently those videos are gone, but these are there now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GMXlPFk1Nc&eurl=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5S7ApSr4Eo&eurl=
    Last edited by EmetShamash; 2/10/2007 6:05pm at .
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast