Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13141516 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 2:31pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ming, How are strict are they on the doctor's note and proof of insurance? As of now none of the people that are planning on competing from my gym have either of these things.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 2:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    Ming, How are strict are they on the doctor's note and proof of insurance? As of now none of the people that are planning on competing from my gym have either of these things.
    they are very strict about those things.

i don't know about you, but what i did was to pay a doctor for a physical and asked for a note that stated that i was in good health and able to compete in full contact.

it helped that i went to my mom's doctor who only deals with old people, so she barely examined me, told me i was the healthiest patient she had seen in years and signed my note. you may be able to do this at a free clinic, but you have to look into that.

the insurance thing. i got travel insurance from www.insuremytrip.com and they accepted that. it was pretty cheap, and one of my fighters is doing that this year as well.

i wouldn't count on the insurance being very useful, though, if you do end up going to the hospital, as most insurance won't cover full contact tournaments, even with a dangerous sports rider, but let's not get sidetracked into a discussion of the healthcare situation in the US.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 3:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info. I don't think a doctor's note will be a problem, we have several docs training at our gym that will probably write us an OK for free. The insurance is going to be an issue though. Do you know what the travel insurance your guy got cost? Just need a round about figure. I'll have to pass this info to my coach tonight, this could potentially kill the whole trip.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 3:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when i got the travel insurance in 2003 (or was it 2002?) it cost like $20 or something like that.

you can get a quote on the website i linked to. it's really cheap, and they mail out the card pretty quickly, but i would do it today or tomorrow so you get the card in time.

they have something you can print out, but i think the card would lead to less questions at the event.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 3:55pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    2) the face cage. it's there because of knees and elbows to the head being allowed, but it doesn't really protect the face much, and it really restricts the fighter's vision. also, just about every single fighter hurts their hands when punching it (the gloves are partially the problem here too.) just use boxing headgear with chin protection and cheek protection, and if you have to, take out the elbows (no one ever uses them anyway due to the next issue i have.)
    I've gotten a black eye through a face cage before. Looked worse than my black eye through my boxing gear, because blood pooled in the corner of my eye..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 6:37pm

Style: ex-KF, now Judoka + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had footage on youtube of a 2006 kuoshu lei tai event. It was up for a year and then I took it down because of comments from retards who think everyone who fights full contact needs look like a professional kickboxer or mma fighter. I also have footage from an event just a few months ago...but its not going up on youtube because I was dissatisfied with the event. Go to Baltimore, I believe the national tournament is next weekend (?). There are many good CMA fighters there, and some bad ones. It's strictly amateur competition, but its full contact, fast paced, and all CMA.

World event:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nsX9VTXkfI

Brazillian Event:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRshCZePBXQ

Brazillian Event:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA-o4Mud-zE

Unknown Event:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feeTUhDPTNA

Unkown Event:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RZhDwgKJ9U

Oh, and next time do your own fucking research.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 7:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108

http://www.tienshanpai.org/tienshanp...eature_6.shtml

The World Kuoshu Championship

The World Kuoshu Championship has earned a reputation as the most violent and bloody martial arts event known to man. But with the years has come a mellowing in the traditional attitude, and with it a relaxing of the rules.

They fought wearing gardening gloves in 1986. Mostly, it became face punching, but any attack was legal, from kneecap kicks to wrestling throws. The only rules were, no strikes to the eyes, throat, back of the head, or testicles. Anything else...

The legend of that clobbering, gory 5th World Chinese Kuoshu Tournament in Taiwan echoes today, six years later. Itís what too many people think of when groping for an image of Taiwanese-style competition. Privately, its sponsors blame the 1986 fiasco on an unprecedented number of green fighters fronting wildly unequal abilities. But that does not explain why there were also so many charges of rampant favoritism in the judging.

Did you read this part of the article you showed me?

Know anything about this supposed "Fiasco" that they mentioned in the tournament,Errant

Edit:They must mean this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjq-4ptpR3M
    Last edited by CanucKyokushin; 7/17/2007 8:01pm at .

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 9:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not looking good on our gym attending this event. Between the mounting costs for entry into the event, hotels, and now insurace, we may not be able to get enough money together to cover everything. As of tonight it was up in the air. If we decide to go I'll PM Errant and Ming.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 9:41pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    Not looking good on our gym attending this event. Between the mounting costs for entry into the event, hotels, and now insurace, we may not be able to get enough money together to cover everything. As of tonight it was up in the air. If we decide to go I'll PM Errant and Ming.
    I've made it my goal to compete next year, along with some of the other students at the temple. If you, me, and Ming all go, it will be awesome!!!:qpepsi:

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 10:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I predict much drinking in the future!! I also predict that I will be the first one KO'd. First one to finish is the winner right?
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13141516 ... LastLast