Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 1:39am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and thank you for the vid Errant. I was busy cleaning douche faces posts.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 7/17/2007 1:47am at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 1:51am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Oh and thank you for the vid Errant. I was busy cleaning douche faces posts.
    Douche Face has moved the battle to my Zoints profile (I didn't even know I still had one.) I think he may have given up.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 6:21am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    Honestly, i'm not talking about the tournaments in Singapore, etc, but the lack of tournaments (full contact) in the USA in the 60's-70's-80's-90's.
    I dunno about the US, I'm a brit. I know we've had full contact tournaments with variants of San Shou/Lei Tai rules since at least the 80s here.

I don't know about the 60's and 70's in the UK.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 7:31am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    I dunno about the US, I'm a brit. I know we've had full contact tournaments with variants of San Shou/Lei Tai rules since at least the 80s here.

I don't know about the 60's and 70's in the UK.
    I dunno about the UK, I'm an American. I know we've had full contact tournaments with variants of San Shou rules since the late 90's. I am told of other tournaments in the 80's, but that would be second hand.

Also, my grandmaster left China in the 60's....

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 8:53am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by isol8d
    I know we've had full contact tournaments with variants of San Shou rules since the late 90's. I am told of other tournaments in the 80's, but that would be second hand.
    I've been fighting in US full-contact gongfu meet-ups and tournaments since the mid/late-80s, including a bunch in the Baltimore area.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 11:01am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    You mean next weekend?

Dude, if you and Ming were in town, it would be like...sheer awesomeness intensified.

Lol...would that I could, I don't think it would fly, on the count of representing a Buddhist art.

Do they still require you to demonstrate a form to prove you're CMA? If so, I think Seunim knows a couple Shaolin forms. I could just ask him to teach me one.
    Are you serious? Can you check on this and find out for me? I looked at their websites and couldn't find anything regarding this requirement. Thanks.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 11:32am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really wanted to go this year too, but my boo boo put me out of training for too long.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 11:51am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knees and elbows are allowed now, as far as I know. And, I also think they give you like 5 seconds or something to secure a standing lock, if that's what you want to do.

But, that's as the rules were explained to me by a class B ref... so, I don't know if that's super duper official.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    Ming Loyalist will be down for it this year. I don't know if they'd let me compete, since Iron Wheel is Korean Kung Fu, but I would love a shot.
    i'm not fighting this year, my honeymoon was right in the middle of the time i needed to be training for this, so i put off competing in it again until next year.

i am going to be cornering for 2 fighters from my school.

Here's a video of a match from a few years back.
    dude. that's my training brother in blue (i think, it's been a long time and i have to check the video i have at home of it... with that headgear and everyone wearing identical uniforms it gets hard to tell.) in fact i think that i shot that video, and i wonder how it ended up on youtube, but i digress.

i never had to do a form to show that i'm a "real" kung fu guy. they said nothing about that when i called them to go over the rules last week. the one thing that you DO need is a doctor's note saying that you are fit to compete (oh, and proof of insurance.)

for me, the only issues i have with that tournament and its rules are:

1) the gloves are retarded. they use "cobra mitts' and should switch to the CSI mma safety gloves.

2) the face cage. it's there because of knees and elbows to the head being allowed, but it doesn't really protect the face much, and it really restricts the fighter's vision. also, just about every single fighter hurts their hands when punching it (the gloves are partially the problem here too.) just use boxing headgear with chin protection and cheek protection, and if you have to, take out the elbows (no one ever uses them anyway due to the next issue i have.)

3) the "no holding and hitting" rule, which means that essentially it's hard to score with elbows and knees, cause anytime you are in a really good opportunity to throw one, you are in the clinch, and therefore holding and hitting.

errant - answer my PM and let's plan on meeting up at the tournament if you can make it.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 1:28pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always found elbows and knees outside the clinch to be an odd thing.
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast