Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 2:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WTF Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taekwonsaul
    i find that the more aggressive you are the more you're likely to win.
    Yeah in the tourney i will definitley try to be the aggressor. in class i tend to be timid and stay away b/c i know my instructor can smoke me no matter what i try and i worry about what to throw knowing that if i mess up he'll teach me a lesson....i'm still getting use of the getting hit part.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 9:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Remember to stay relaxed, maybe bounce a little, and try not to telegraph your techniques and you'll do fine."

How do i keep from telegraphing my techniques?? Do i do it by using feints and quick steps?? We spar tomorrow so i want to work on it....

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 10:30am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At your belt level, don't worry about too much. Don't worry about telegraphing, don't worry about feinting, just stick to the basics. Drill as many combos as you can in limited sparring, and then work them into open sparring, Just go out and see what works for you.

Until you reach black belt, your tournament score doesn't really matter at all, so just have fun and explore your options.

Work on your round and axe kicks. Learn responses to an opponent tossing round kicks at you. Drill side-stepping and countering.

Just have fun with it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 8:46pm

Style: WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree. Limit the number of techniques you're training and have a focus at all times. "I'm going to improve my turning kick today. I need to put more hip into it." Also, keep it stupidly simple. Forget back kicks, jumping kicks, front snap kicks, spin kicks, hop spin kicks and all that jazz. You don't need it. Just hurl your kicks, commit to them and don't be scared of getting hit in return. The only way to keep from getting nailed is to be the one doing the nailing. It's just how sparring works. Oh, and as for the instructor, as easy as it is to type, you HAVE to go hard, and go all out. That's the only way you'll progress as a fighter.
    On telegraphing... that'll just take time. You and your body will figure out the motions, and it may take some time. Right now, you probably are sending out signals through your posture and unintentional movements that you probably don't even notice right now. You'll see them in vids of yourself and go "did I seriously do THAT?! DOH!" but that's how you improve. Pay attention to what you're doing, and you'll be OK.
    Good luck

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 3:49am

Style: jidokwan tkd,hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would you by chance be competing in the tournament in Morgan City on august 4th?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 7:45am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters
    Would you by chance be competing in the tournament in Morgan City on august 4th?
    Yes I am....Silver Dragon Tourney.....are you going?

Also, two weeks after that one we are going to Tennessee for the Smoky Mountain Championships....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 9:15am

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    one good thing to do is disguise your kicks. Bring your leg up like you are doing a front kick and then pivot into a roundhose at the last second or even a side kick. YOu need to make sure to bring your knee up at least waist level though.

If you can make your kicks look like they all start from the same posistion then it will be a lot harder for the other person to counter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 1:24pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ/Boxing/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2tkd
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm relatively new to the site, and, as my screen name shows, relatively new to TKD. I'm 25 years old and i'm a white belt, yellow tip. I grew up playing baseball and football but once i graduated college, it wasn't quite the workout and competiveness that i was looking for. I started in the ITA(which i quickly found to be a load of crap) but changed to WTF.

I have my first tourney coming up in August and i was just looking for some sparring tips. I'm 5'7'' 180(which i know is on the heavy side, but i lost fifteen pounds from 195 and i'm trying to get to 170, so i'm still working on the weight loss). I know it'll be difficult against taller opponents.

I spar with my black belt instructor in class and he doesn't take it light on me b/c i'm new. i realize he does this b/c it'll only make me better. But i still get frustrated not being able to catch him off guard like he catches me. Again, i'm just looking for some tips to help me out at my tourney. All critics welcome. thanks in advance for any advice. :occasion1

You will need to get to like 145 man, TKD is all about long legs, ecspeacially WTF, I have fought 6 tournaments won 5, 2nd in one. I am a red belt, but i quit training TKD to pursue Muay Thai and MMA. If your training for a Tournament the only thing I can tell you is that you need to practice KICKS KICKS KICKS, and CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO, and Blocks. Also don't ***** foot around you have to hit the guy hard, you want him to go on the defensive, just train those things and you will do fine, let us know how ou do at the tourny, later.

Chance

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 2:43pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaChance
    You will need to get to like 145 man, TKD is all about long legs, ecspeacially WTF
    Chance

145.....i'm trying to get there but i don't think it'll happen.....
    i'm 25....so you can say that i'm finished growing.....i'll just have to cope with the disadvantage of having short legs.....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 4:30pm

Style: jidokwan tkd,hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2tkd
    Yes I am....Silver Dragon Tourney.....are you going?

Also, two weeks after that one we are going to Tennessee for the Smoky Mountain Championships....
    I will be there. We should meet up. I'm a first dan so maybe I could tell you something you didn't already know. Not going to Tennessee but my school is going to an invitational in Fort Worth TX Oct. 20.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast