Posted On:
    7/16/2007 3:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WTF Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WTF TKD Sparring

Hello Everyone,
    I'm relatively new to the site, and, as my screen name shows, relatively new to TKD. I'm 25 years old and i'm a white belt, yellow tip. I grew up playing baseball and football but once i graduated college, it wasn't quite the workout and competiveness that i was looking for. I started in the ITA(which i quickly found to be a load of crap) but changed to WTF.

I have my first tourney coming up in August and i was just looking for some sparring tips. I'm 5'7'' 180(which i know is on the heavy side, but i lost fifteen pounds from 195 and i'm trying to get to 170, so i'm still working on the weight loss). I know it'll be difficult against taller opponents.

I spar with my black belt instructor in class and he doesn't take it light on me b/c i'm new. i realize he does this b/c it'll only make me better. But i still get frustrated not being able to catch him off guard like he catches me. Again, i'm just looking for some tips to help me out at my tourney. All critics welcome. thanks in advance for any advice. :occasion1

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 3:55pm

Style: Sword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2tkd
    I started in the ITA(which i quickly found to be a load of crap) but changed to WTF.
    What's the difference between these two orgs?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 4:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ITA is like an ATA i would say from what i've read on the other thread. In the ITA, you don't start sparring until green belt...and once you do start sparring it is "little to no contact"....what's the point? You can get your black belt in as little as 1.5 years. In the school that i'm in it's 5 years minimum and belt test get no higher than $50 until you test for 1st degree and above and testing is once every 3 months. In the ITA it's $60 every 2 months....and if you don't pass your belt test the first time, you can go back the following week and try again without everyone around. This is on top of a $75/month contract that you have to pay the whole year when you sign up whereas the school im in now is $35/month....with no contract.

Also, i see a difference in the dojang environment. My instructor doesn't let the young kids run around like they are crazy. In the ITA, it was like baby sitting. The instructor was only stern when there were new applicants watching the class!

Basically the ITA is a McDojo that's after money and the instructor is only worried about lining his pockets rather than teaching the martial art correctively and effectively.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 4:18pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is timing you.

You are most likely telegraphing your attacks. Of course, at white belt what do you expect.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 4:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why's that? I like the WTF and the Olympic style sparring. I also like the school and my instructor. Instead of letting you go to your limits and quit....he pushes you further beyond your limits and trains you to be the best. I, personally, needed something like this to get my butt in shape

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 4:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    He is timing you.

You are most likely telegraphing your attacks. Of course, at white belt what do you expect.

yeah....once he catches me, he lets me know what i'm doing wrong....but he doesn't want to stop and tell me everytime....he wants me to learn from being hit after doing the wrong technique or attack. It just gets frustrating from time to time since there are no other white belts to train with and see how good i actually am.....at least not until the tourney.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 8:37am

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For that level of sparring, just be the agressor and stay busy. No spinning back kicks, axe kicks, nothing fancy.... just attack non-stop with turning kicks, both legs. Try to throw a fake in there once in a while too. Make sure you can go the full rounds and not stop.

Would help if you put a video up to see what you got as well. It'll take a little time to figure the game out. Colour belt matches are usually won on agression... who ever stays busier and is moving forward.

Good luck!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 9:09am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydermv
    For that level of sparring, just be the agressor and stay busy. No spinning back kicks, axe kicks, nothing fancy.... just attack non-stop with turning kicks, both legs. Try to throw a fake in there once in a while too. Make sure you can go the full rounds and not stop.

Would help if you put a video up to see what you got as well. It'll take a little time to figure the game out. Colour belt matches are usually won on agression... who ever stays busier and is moving forward.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the well wishes....i'm going to record my matches at my tourney and post here. My tourney is Aug. 4th...so it'll be a while. Thanks for the advice also!

poser

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 10:12pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a white belt, just worry about timing and distance. If your opponent is taller than you, try and stay inside their range and keep the pressure on and keep them moving back. If he's shorter then keep him as far away as possible so he doesn't do the same to you.

Remember to stay relaxed, maybe bounce a little, and try not to telegraph your techniques and you'll do fine.

Good luck!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 12:47pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Wrasslin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah im in the same field as you. I take WTF TKD and im testing for my yellow belt this saturday and i'll finally be able to get sparring gear and start sparring against others in the school. I find sparring to be the main thing that interests me in TKD. It just seems fun and i can't wait till i try out for the comp team. It would be cool to see your match so be sure to record it. Oh and like everyone else has said, i find that the more aggressive you are the more you're likely to win.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast