Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2003 4:27pm

Style: 70's Funk

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Stold3
    From what I know, opium addictions were fairly common in china back in the day. The saying was, if you smoked more than three bowls a day, you were an addict. But c'mon, an opium addiction is mild compared to cocaine and heroin, I'd know.
    yes of course, this is how the europeans soften up china to invade, they put a lot of pressure on the corrupt chinese officials to let them sell opium freely in china, once everyone's addicted, they lost the will to fight the westerners
    a good history lesson, and i am sure this is why our governent will never legalize recreational drugs and herbs

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/13/2003 11:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There were more than corrupt officials. There were British, Dutch and German gunboats parked out back behind the opium merchants. Opium was just as illegal there as it is here but the Europeans, (and Americans to a lesser degree) just brought the navy along to make sales easier. The Russians were involved too but the biggest culprits were the British and the Dutch.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

lord of the glen

Posted On:
    11/14/2003 6:22am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a big part of it was the demand for tea in england, although its nothing compared to opium it still created a demabd the british had to fill and so there was for a time a limited amount of balance between the two, each had something th other needed, then the british stole the secrets of tea from the chinese and started their own plantations in india, suddenly they didnt need to give the chinese opium and hence the real problems for addicts in china began.
    CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/14/2003 11:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well it had SOMEthing to do with tea but the problem was actually only ONE side, the Chinese had something the other needed. Actually more than just tea. There was a massive trade deficit. The Chinese just weren't buying anything from the western powers and the trade imbalance just kept growing. Opium was the only thing they were able to sell with any success and then when the Chinese said that using opium to balance the trade deficit wasn't o.k. they went to war over it. I'm not sure why we mostly only hear about the British. The Dutch East India Trade Company was leading the charge. They chinese didn't have much of a nacy at the time so they ended up buying opium at gunpoint. so to speak. It was like if Columbia was more powerful militarily than the US and, in response to our "war on drugs" decided to just park their battleships of the coast of Florida and set up shop selling cocaine in the Floridia keys.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Posted On:
    11/26/2003 7:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That would kick ass--er...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2003 6:16pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, Yip Man was an opium addict. By the same token better not to judge by todays standards. Such a thing was pretty normal back then.

Regarding his teaching, JKD Chick, it must be remembered that Yip Man only taught so that he could afford somewhere to live. He came from a high class background and was used to the good live and rich living until he was forced to leave China due to the Communists. As far as he was concerned teaching was beneath him and it was only through the grit of his teeth that he was pursuaded to pass on his knowledge. Even when he was teaching he didn't really care for it too much. Although it seems that he would open up to more gifted students. He had no time for people who couldn't think for themselves or pick stuff up quickly. Much of his teaching seemed geared towards finding out what worked through application. If you wanted to be spoon fed information Yip Man was not the guy to learn off.

Regarding just walking into class, showing something on the dummy once and then walking out, sure, to a degree that's lazy teaching. But by the same degree the intelligent students would pick stuff up, examine what he had done and relate it to their previous training. I see it all the time now where a lot of useful information is passed on but a student is too blind to see it because of the apparent simplicity and shortness of what was demonstrated or taught to them. "Is that it?" is something I often hear. More fool them.

Posted On:
    12/06/2003 9:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheung Lai Chun of Bak Mei was a drug addict as well I hear.

As for opium it is very addictive. I guess that why heroin is still the most addictive narcotic substance.
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    12/06/2003 9:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yip Man didn't like teaching? Thats about right. **** that little pot head and his superficial full of **** style. He probably was the first dickhead to start the trend of taking poor students money and showing them ****. I mean not even teaching them correctly. If your going to teach do it right do it properly. But don't do it half assed or reluctantly. Your disservicing yourself and your students.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    12/09/2003 6:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate how some of these old masters got into the habit of ripping off poorer students. It seems both Yip Man and Cheung Lai Chun are some of the main culprits.
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/10/2003 11:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Hannibal
    Yip Man didn't like teaching? Thats about right. **** that little pot head and his superficial full of **** style. He probably was the first dickhead to start the trend of taking poor students money and showing them ****. I mean not even teaching them correctly. If your going to teach do it right do it properly. But don't do it half assed or reluctantly. Your disservicing yourself and your students.

I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny, or simply trying to suck up to the rest of the anti-wing chun people around here. **** that little pot head? Dickhead?

Hannibal, I know I'm not the first to say this, but you're a fucking idiot.

I'm just going to ignore your post because you are a moron.

Edit:
    Leung, I think that him showing one move on the dummy is an exageration. There's no way that 3 hand forms, 2 weapons forms and a dummy form can be taught by simply showing a move on the dummy each class. And I wouldn't call his teaching style lazy either. Generally, the people that Yip Man taught had previous experience. This could account for all the differences in the different lineages. If you have a lot of training in a different style you aren't going to just throw it all away. And also, since wing chun can be understood as a set of fighting principles that can be applied in different ways, it's a hybrid style.

Ugh.
    Last edited by Angry-Monkey; 12/10/2003 11:19pm at .
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast