Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 5:19am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your response to getting punched

This question is directed only to those who practice muay thai, boxing or full-contact kickboxing where punches to the face is allowed.

Please provide as much detail as possible in the description, let's share and learn from each other.

I'll break this question into several parts. Hopefully we can keep this format:

1) In a fight or in a sparring match, what is the first thing you do when your opponent throws a head punch COMBO? (Note: Combo means 2 or more punches)

2) What is your favourite high probability counter move?

2a) How did your coach train you to develop confidence and skill in using said counter?

3) If your counter did not work, and the punches connect, what do you do now? E.g. do you have a safety position that you'll default to?

3a) What will you do (now that punches are connecting) to get out of this situation, and counter his punches?

4) What kind of confidence building drills did your coach do to get you to be more comfortable with getting punched in the face?

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 5:29am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll start first.

1) In a fight or in a sparring match, what is the first thing you do when your opponent throws a head punch COMBO? (Note: Combo means 2 or more punches)
    a) I'll use the crazy monkey defense, and peep through my arms, for an opportunity and opening to counter punch.

b) I may also pivot or circle off while covering and throw leg kicks.

c) I may also do the muay thai "stick out arm" block and push kick, or switch and throw a front leg roundhouse to midsection.

d) I'll parry down his left arm (assume orthodox), my right arm will snake behind his neck to clinch, then I'll switch and throw a left knee. Once I land, I step forward with my right foot to the outside of his left foot, pull him counterclockwise (my view) and throw another knee.

Probably (a) because I'm used to the CM defense and it's easiest to pull that off from my position. I'm trying to do new stuff though.

2a) How did your coach train you to develop confidence and skill in using said counter?
    We do 3 min drills where one side only attacks, and one side tries to throw in a counterpunch while covering, to break the attacker's momentum.

After this drill, both sides are allowed to attack/defend and counterattack freely. We keep it to punching only.

3) If your counter did not work, and the punches connect, what do you do now? E.g. do you have a safety position that you'll default to?
    I'll cover my head with my forearms or do the CM defense.

3a) What will you do (now that punches are connecting) to get out of this situation, and counter his punches?
    First I try to cover up so the punches stop landing, and try to regain my fighting stance, then either try to push and roundkick, or clinch and throw knees.

4) What kind of confidence building drills did your coach do to get you to be more comfortable with getting punched in the face?
    I was taught this drill by a boxer. Put both your gloves on your cheekbones, and for 1-2 minutes, your partner will throw semi-hard straight punches only at your gloves, and on your forehead. I found this to be a really good, practical drill for building confidence in looking at the punch.

:)

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 6:20am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) punch combo....so much of my personal sparring style is based on kicks, with a focus on when the opponent commits their weight to come in. Often I'm shin checking kicks, waiting for both arms to start working, so I can kick them somewhere underneath. I want them to punch at me...so I can use my range (mad lanky)
    If I don't move away, and stamp kick...I might sidekick them as they step...or a stiff jab as they open up the combo. ..and roundkick the legs when the guard comes up. Or just try to time a low roundkick as they step...to throw the balance off...then the punches don't get through the guard, because they're not grounded.

2) counter with sidekick to the belly as they step is my utter fav....the last 2 rounds in my last sparring session was absurd. at least 30 successful stop kicks pulled off, and 4 or 5 times, I mistimed, and the punches came through. Did it from a lefty stance so my power would be in the front. this particular cat is a mma guy...so the open elbows helped.

2a)My teacher has us spar, to learn what counters work for us as individuals...so I learned the hard way, what sucked for me and what I could use well. By eating shots. We drill all the standard san shou counters...but in sparring, I opt for guarding the area, and counter striking or stop kicking.

3) I default to a tight frontal guard...one shoulder up a bit/by the jaw, and gloves on my forehead, if I have time. I eat some hooks, but to the ear, not the jaw or temple. I don't want to eat hard crosses more than anything...so I guard frontally in general. If it's really bad...I'll turn to my left..and when they rush in to finish the little exchange...they get a mule kick in the belly...I have crazy large feet and heelbones, and focus on using that to my advantage.

4) The best thing my teacher ever did to condition me, was to punch me in the face.
    When I spar him hands, I can expect to eat 20 high and 20-40 low every round...he's like magic...and shorter...so I suffer. During sparring class, he makes the matchups for us, so we can't rig it to be easy. We do several rounds of boxing, before we use hands and feet..so I get decked before I can even use my favorite parts. Some of those whom I spar, compete in different stuff and I get clocked often....but I want to compete in some Amateur san da, so I need all the experience I can get. I'll take these lumps, so someone else REALLY has to try to take my head off, to hurt me.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 7:36am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm still pretty new at this, so far I've only sparred hands.

1. Cover up and get out of range

2. I jab like a fiend trying to keep them away, if that gets me an opening I cross

3. Crazy monkey
    3a. Try to get in some jabs to make some space

4. Defensive drills like allowing one person to jab/cross while you can only defend, or having us defend with our back against a wall forcing us to learn to bob & weave.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 7:41am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm all about Crazy monkey and trying to work my way inside, get a body lock and a takedown, or if the person isn't taller than I am, crazy monkey and look for a counter punch or kicking opportunity. I also like to circle to the outside at the same time.

For confidence building we do a 5 minute drill where the Defender has wrist weights on, usually 5lb apiece and has to hold his hands up at gloves on forehead while the Attacker throws medium power combos at him. Defender has to use Crazy Monkey as much as possible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 8:34am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If someone's piling in with a punch combination as a southpaw I shift forward and to the right (bending my body, and taking a step). And maybe throw a cross or a left turning kick.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 8:38am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Almost all my (modest) experience of real hard sparring is under San Shou rules.

This means that whenever I am getting nailed I try to clinch and then take them down.

When things are going wrong I often do stupid things like just charging straight in eating headshots to try and land my own.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 9:53am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) In a fight or in a sparring match, what is the first thing you do when your opponent throws a head punch COMBO? (Note: Combo means 2 or more punches) A hard right kick to the inside or outside of their legs, depending on which stance they are in, and if they get cocky and drop their hands, I will throw a hand combination of my own, and if Isee it opened up (my favorite thing to do), I throw a high kick to their head.

2) What is your favourite high probability counter move? Kick to the leg.

2a) How did your coach train you to develop confidence and skill in using said counter? Demonstrating how easy it is to the class.... on me. And on me specifically, pounding me until it was no longer a huge deal

3) If your counter did not work, and the punches connect, what do you do now? E.g. do you have a safety position that you'll default to? Take a large stride to the side and take that one second or so to recover.

3a) What will you do (now that punches are connecting) to get out of this situation, and counter his punches? Stop being as aggressive as normal and just wait for him to come at me and mess with his head from there.

4) What kind of confidence building drills did your coach do to get you to be more comfortable with getting punched in the face? Punching me in the face until it was no big deal.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 10:00am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    This question is directed only to those who practice muay thai, boxing or full-contact kickboxing where punches to the face is allowed.

Please provide as much detail as possible in the description, let's share and learn from each other.

I'll break this question into several parts. Hopefully we can keep this format:

1. Move
    2. Kick
    2a. *blank look
    3. What do you mean if it doesn't work.....answer 1 plus answer 2= If done correctly no can defend.

3a. See answer 1
    4. ???????? You make me want to cry.....

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/21/2007 3:04am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate

clinch

clinch

kicking my ass in the clinch

get hit in the face til i get pissed off and drop my hands. then clinch

retarded question. punch the fucker back i guess

i think he called me a ***** when he bent my nose. im not sure.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast