Posted On:
    7/15/2007 7:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mild but annoying hip pain

Howdy,

On Thursday 1 had an hour-long class which was mostly basic guard pass drills, rear leg round kicks and front kicks (I do a newbie class that day in lieu of the classes I can't attend on Wednesday right now, but whatever) and felt fine afterward, no pain anywhere. On Friday, I woke up with aching and stiffness in my right hip. After I got moving, I had no real problems with mobility; I tried lifting my knee up toward my chest, no problems, some tightness doing that glute stretch where you're on your back and you pull the knee accross your body but no pain as such. If I push my hip out to the right I also feel some tightness but again, no real pain unless I really massage the area hard with my fingers or knuckles.

It seems like it's right on my hip bone. I've had hip bursitis before and it felt sort of similar but it was more painful and restricted my motion much more, and it felt much less localised - sort of all around my glute, lower back and thigh area down to my knee. This is just my hip. Also, I got that when I was doing basically no daily exercise at all, and now, leg-wise, I do squats (just body weight) and resistance exercises with a theraband, pulling my leg back, and pulling it in towards the other leg from the side.

Does this sound like anything in particular to you guys? I'll probably see a physio soon anyway, but I thought it'd be good to get some opinions here.
    Last edited by gzk; 7/15/2007 7:02pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 8:20pm

Style: Krav_Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always find my hips are sore after alot of rolling. My best suggestion would be to keep stretching. If it starts to become painfull or doesn't get better fairly quickly I'd get it checked out to be safe.

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 10:52pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you squat your own weight on your shoulders 10 times, say a barbell of 180 lbs, if you weigh 180? It's good to know how strong you are, compared to people that excel in sports similar- wrestlers, etc. Also, make sure you don't have any muscle imbalance. Go see a doctor and have it checked. You don't need to be getting chronic injuries, especially if this is not going to be a profession. One more thing- I find that most injuries happen form some kind of sudden increase in training, instead of building up gradually. Think of you time training like an 6 ounce glass of water. You can only put 8 ounces in it, and if you keep pouring, you waste it, and get a mess.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 11:11pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it is a dull constant ache regardless of activity then you may have a joint issue but it would be up to a doctor to decide for sure. You may have run of the mill muscle soreness but then again you may have any number of legit things wrong. Go to a doc first then post your ordeal on hear. There are a number of wannabe doctors on this board that will try to convince you they know what you got and what to do. Bottom line is believe the fucker in the white coat you see in person (and forgive him if he crams a finger in your ass, it's for your own good).
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 7:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, tonight I had 2 hours of fairly intense training and had no problems at all, didn't even notice the hip. It's now 2 hours later and the hip is a little tight and tender again. I notice it most if I go through the motions for a side kick. I got the hot water on it in the shower and am icing it now, wonder how it will be in the morning...

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 7:57am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look up "IT band stretches" or "iliotibial band stretches" on google. If the pain is from your lower back/hip to the knee, then I can almost guarantee that's where your problem is.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 8:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    Look up "IT band stretches" or "iliotibial band stretches" on google. If the pain is from your lower back/hip to the knee, then I can almost guarantee that's where your problem is.
    Ahh yeah, I've seen that mentioned. I have had it from lower back to knee before, but this time it's very localised to where my hip bone juts out, and maybe a little bit of the glute too.