Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 8:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sadly I am without bag gloves, but I'm using some cheapo 16oz Neverlast Sparring gloves, so I don't mind trashing them. Good tip on the mouthguard, I forgot to think about that.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 8:48pm

Style: Oushikoso-Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis
    Bag gloves on for my routine, no rest between excercises until your timed rest. Push non-stop while excercising. Forgot to mention, I keep my mouthpiece in when I excercise a few weeks min. prior to fighting. (It looks goofy but nobody is in my garage but me.)

BTW - I wouldn't skip the spints... But we can all agree to disagree on that one.
    hey thats a damngood idea, I've never done that.

As for getting ready, I did as many burpees and cherry pickers as I could when was getting ready for a wrestleing match.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 9:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I actually left one thing out of that statement to be totally honest. I was training for full contact stick fighting so not only was I in the garage doing the above workouts with a mouthpiece but I would put on my fencing mask as well. Mouthpiece, fencing mask, garage door closed and 12 overhead can lights during a workout that was very high intensity and demanding. Talk about sweating and claustrophobia. Works well though. (I don't recommend the mask though unless you plan to wear one to fight.) :icon_puke
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 9:30pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a meat packing plant near you?

If you are seeking endurance, I am of the opinion that consistent effort (running, cycling, etc.) at 65-75% of max heart rate is best. Do it for 30+ minutes plus warmup and cooldown. Don't go for any crazy long amount of time. If the total time for your match including breaks is not more than 30min, then there is no need for more than that.

Interval work is great, essential even, but targets strength more than endurance. Since you say strength is not a problem, just endurance, I suggest this is the way to go. You can do both if you like... alternate intervals one day with long slow distance the next.

My background is endurance sports (cycling), not boxing, FWIW. I did train under a coach for a while hand have taken a coaching course.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 10:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One month? Maybe just stick to heavy bag rounds and BW exercises. I mean one month might be too little time to cram in everything so just keep simple?

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 10:10pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SPRINTS!!!!!!!!!

Do fucking sprints until you die. Walk a tad and then sprint a bit. Then walk a spell and sprint a while. But then again you are way behind the 8ball on this so don't take my word on it. Sprints help but you need time to build cardio.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 10:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tabwyo
    SPRINTS!!!!!!!!!

Do fucking sprints until you die. Walk a tad and then sprint a bit. Then walk a spell and sprint a while. But then again you are way behind the 8ball on this so don't take my word on it. Sprints help but you need time to build cardio.
    I agree that it takes time to build endurance. 1 month isn't enough time to get to where you probably should be. 4 months would be more like it. Still, you will get some benefit, especially if you lack endurance now. So sprints + long slow distance. But if you do only sprints, then you should still alternate.

I expect everyone will disagree with me. There seems to be a fundamentally different approach to endurance in fight sports...
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 10:23pm

Style: Wrestling & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Do you do Burpees with your gloves on, or is it a big race to get them back as soon as possible? That sounds like a pretty nifty drill. Are you concerned at all about form when going for that much speed?
    No. Do not wear your 16oz Boxing gloves for this drill. No gloves not even Bag Mitts. I probably should have stated that earlier. Just wear your handwraps. Form is important. Keep your form tight but you want to display power though fatigue. You need to push yourself with this drill.

One Minute Burpees, One Minute all out punching on the heavy bag.

Rest for a minute then go again. If you can do that routine 5 times through then your in great shape.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 10:29pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4 months is a tad excessive. You can build a good cardio in 8 weeks. 8 weeks of intense training is enough to get you past the average hack ass "I box for fitness" yupie. You'll probably do OK with 8 weeks of training but if you go head to head with a guy who even jogs and works out you'll only be evenly matched with him. Now this doen't take into account natural ability or your base line fitness level. Hell you may be a fucking Navy SEAL candidate fresh outta BUD/S for all we know, and in excellent cardiovascular shape. Sorry to say but cardio is something hard to gain and easy to lose.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 10:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4 months was a rough guideline we used for preparing for the season. We were training for 2-3 hour events. I think 8 weeks would easily be enough to do some thing useful, especially if you are not starting as a total couch potato.

Actually, the discussions are a bit more balanced without Flash Jackson.
    - Voltaire
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast